Multivoice notation with Musescore and midi controller

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
sxedio

Multivoice notation with Musescore and midi controller

Postby sxedio » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:23 pm

I 've figured out how to use my YouRock midi guitar with Musescore to notate one of my arrangements (of copyrighted material, sadly). It works impressively well and its much faster than entering all the notes of a chord one by one using mouse or keyboard. On the other hand, it comes out in Paganini notation (see attachment). Musescore advises me to play the voices one at a time but that really defeats the point of using a midi controller, plus I don't like only playing one of 2-3 voices of a piece in isolation, I'm used to the whole thing together. Is there any other nice trick e.g. by associating different midi channels to different voices? Any fast way to reformat the music to 3 voices?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Trig Damiiu

Re: Multivoice notation with Musescore and midi controller

Postby Trig Damiiu » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but the YRG allows you to put each string on a different MIDI channel by selecting MIDI 17, 18, 19 or 20. Hopefully that will help.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Hi Trig, welcome to the forum. Could I invite you to introduce yourself here?
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

sxedio

Postby sxedio » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:03 pm

Trig Damiiu wrote:Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but the YRG allows you to put each string on a different MIDI channel by selecting MIDI 17, 18, 19 or 20. Hopefully that will help.

Thank you Trig. I knew I can assign each string to a different channel, the question is whether I can assign each channel to a different notated voice in the notation software (e.g. bottom voice for 6th 5th 4th strings/channels, top voice for 1st string/channel, middle voice for 2nd and 3rd). Musescore documentation only mentions sequential entry of voices, not simultaneous. Now I have entered everything as a single chordal voice it is not clear if/how I can reassign some notes to other voices.

flameproof

Postby flameproof » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:40 pm

To the best of my knowledge what you want to do isn't possible in MuseScore (one can't even move a note from one voice to another AFAICT) -- the advice to play the voices one at a time is the only way to go.

I don't really understand your suggestion here:
(e.g. bottom voice for 6th 5th 4th strings/channels, top voice for 1st string/channel, middle voice for 2nd and 3rd)
...wouldn't that only work for a vanishingly small subset of pieces?
In cyberspace, no-one can hear you scream...
∃x: x∈{things on the internet}: ~x

sxedio

Postby sxedio » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks for the info flameproof, looks like the only way out is to export lilypond code and then reformat the voices in lilypond.

Yes the suggestion wouldn't work for all pieces. But a particular setting will work consistently for a particular piece (e.g. Carcassi op.60 no 3) with very little need for correction. In an ideal world you would choose the optimum way to split your midi controller's output to channels (by string, by fret position etc.) and assign those channels to voices to suit the particular piece with the minimum need for corrections after entry. If entry is in step mode, not real time, you could even tweak the setting half way through the piece, when the melody annoyingly moves to the second string etc. If anyone knows of a notation program that can do that please let me know.

A really cool technology for midi controllers/guitar synths would be to split midi channels by right hand digit, so that you could assigning the thumb to the bass voice, a-finger to top voice for romance style pieces etc. But that seems futuristic with current technology

flameproof

Postby flameproof » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:26 am

sxedio wrote:A really cool technology for midi controllers/guitar synths would be to split midi channels by right hand digit, so that you could assigning the thumb to the bass voice, a-finger to top voice for romance style pieces etc. But that seems futuristic with current technology

So that would work for Spanish Romance, the Tarrega Étude and a small number of other pieces.

What I find speeds up note input is liberal use of copy and paste -- two bars only need to be a bit similar to make this worthwhile, and if you can find half-a-dozen bars that follow the same voice pattern it is truly useful. As an experiment I have just engraved the E minor section of said Romance, from start to finish (launching MuseScore, creating a new score, inputting all the notes (in three voices) and exporting as a PDF) took less than 8 minutes (the second section would be faster still, because an awful lot of the work is already done). So 15 minutes to engrave an entire piece -- how impatient are you?
In cyberspace, no-one can hear you scream...
∃x: x∈{things on the internet}: ~x

sxedio

Postby sxedio » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:51 am

I'm not impatient at all, I'm a Lilypond user after all! The only reason I am considering MuseScore is the ability to enter notes via midi. Playing an instrument like controller is just more fun than using mouse and keyboard, it's not all about how long it takes. I am hitting MuseScore's limitations, fair enough, back to Lilypond then, keeping MuseScore for the note entry stage only.

sxedio

Postby sxedio » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:18 pm

Muse score 2 fixes this, you can select a note and then assign it to any of the 4 voices.

My original screenshot has disappeared, like that Kruisbrink mp3. Have all old attachments being purged from the forum's memory?

pogmoor

Postby pogmoor » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:01 am

sxedio wrote:My original screenshot has disappeared, like that Kruisbrink mp3. Have all old attachments being purged from the forum's memory?

No the problem is that, unfortunately, when the forum was migrated to a new server recently a lot of attached files got corrupted.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

sxedio

Postby sxedio » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:36 am

Thanks pogmoor that explains it

camer138

Postby camer138 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:37 pm

I'd love to notate with guitar.. I recently heard fishman is working on a nylon guitar version of their Triple Play product. How accurate is that you rock guitar?

sxedio

Postby sxedio » Fri May 01, 2015 7:47 pm

The tap mode (left hand/fretboard only ) is very accurate. Once you bring the right hand string triggers in it is a bit less accurate, in my experience with a generation one you rock guitar. Tolerable for notation but you would have to clean it up manually, not great for dynamics when sequencing. Generation 2 was supposed to have improved the right hand response a lot, I haven't tried it personally. A fishman nylon product would be great if nothing else to keep things moving in the midi guitar sector, though probably still rather expensive for me.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”