Any Tips for Composing Accompaniment?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
paulbhorn3

Any Tips for Composing Accompaniment?

Postby paulbhorn3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm an intermediate to advance guitarist (with a bit to learn still) and I write some of my own pieces. Melody is easy for me and I can usually expand a melody and add chord etc. easily. However, most of my piece usually turn out rather simplistic and arpeggied (forgive spelling please). Does anyone have tips on how to write a good accompaniment? bass lines? 3rd and 4th voices?

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Any Tips for Composing Accompaniment?

Postby Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi Paul,

You could start by exploring the Bach part writing rules: http://www.mymusictheory.com/grade6/les ... rmony.html

In my 1st year theory class at the Conservatory, we started by analyzing the Chorales. Then, we were told to write a simple melody and fill in the harmonies according to those rules. Funny thing is, it never sounded like Bach!

Of course, nowadays, those rules can and should be broken. :wink:

Good luck!

Alan

michael karmon

Postby michael karmon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:23 pm

Once you have an outline of the melody, I would definitely focus on the bass line. It can be as interesting as the top line, and a little rhythmic activity in the bass really goes a long way. Also this post might give you some ideas about how to move forward: http://www.classicalguitarcanada.ca/201 ... el-karmon/.

Good luck! :)

Alan Green

Postby Alan Green » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Don't drown the melody. Remember that it's "Melody with accompaniment" and you'll be fine.

paulbhorn3

Postby paulbhorn3 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks guys. This is good stuff.

Rich

Postby Rich » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:28 pm

When you examine a piece, read only the vocal line separately and or the bass separately, so this way you can see if your melody is dreary or your bass boring. The determining role of the melody and of clearly perceived basses created in good counterpoint should be a requirement.

This is from Brahms on composition which can be found at http://solomonsmusic.net/brahmrls.htm I found it to be a useful read. (You can click cancel if it asks you whether you want to run a script)

cjrenzi

Postby cjrenzi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:36 pm

Paul,

Congrats on composing your own works. It's no easy task to make a classical guitar piece of your own, let alone one that sounds good and has some complexity. Alan's advice with the Bach chorales is fantastic. If you do not chose to go to such lengths, I would take what ever your melody is or phrases from it and use them to create bass lines and counter melodies. You can overlap bits of your melody to see if they fit. You may need to transpose them or play them backwards or change an accidental here and there. It will take much experimentation is this manner, but it is such fun!!!

Best,
cj

drew p

Postby drew p » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:05 pm

contrary motion with the melody goes a long, long, long way toward making things "interesting"

as a rule I'd keep most of your stuff around 3 voices... sometimes 2, sometimes 4. Anything more than that tends to get really convoluted and meh

delayedMusician

Postby delayedMusician » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:06 pm

paulbhorn3 wrote:I'm an intermediate to advance guitarist (with a bit to learn still) and I write some of my own pieces. Melody is easy for me and I can usually expand a melody and add chord etc. easily. However, most of my piece usually turn out rather simplistic and arpeggied (forgive spelling please). Does anyone have tips on how to write a good accompaniment? bass lines? 3rd and 4th voices?

problem is, this is not stuff you learn in a message. No one can write a short sentence that would make you all of a sudden write better arrangements. Composition and arrangement is a skill for musicians who are very well rounded in many aspects of music, just being able to play a few tunes does not a arranger makes. Sorry. Best bet is digging deeper.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”