Use a workhorse with the forbidden name?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Craig

Re: Use a workhorse with the forbidden name?

Post by Craig » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:14 pm

Max Karios wrote:I am wondering whether it would by acceptable to have one as a workhorse in your stable in order to get a different perspective on things when composing.
The more the merrier ... knowledge builds on experience. The piano is certainly a visual aid among other things.

That said, there are 'warnings'. A good number of composers might benefit by learning the flute or trumpet or some other monophonic instrument in order to steer them back to the basics. While the technicals listed can be useful, music is emotional expression. Composers need to 'feel' more than anything. And listeners should be able to enjoy music without a PhD or being required to learn the whole life story of the composer in order to appreciate the tune.

Another factor is that there are benefits to the limitations of the guitar. Composing for it forces expression in constrained ways reflecting the complex dynamics of human emotion which can be both simple and complex at the same time - constrained.

A paintbrush with three primary colors is constrained and simple. Yet the pieces some have made can take one's breath away ...
2013 Hippner Spruce/BRW 8-string

slidika

Post by slidika » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:11 pm

I was a piano major in college (way back in the 70's). Been learning classical guitar for the last 12 years. I like the guitar better due to its portability. People like to listen to me play the piano, though. :D
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:50 pm

Craig wrote: A good number of composers might benefit by learning the flute or trumpet or some other monophonic instrument in order to steer them back to the basics. While the technicals listed can be useful,...
If only Bach had learned to play the flute before he wrote music (supposedly) for it. He might have included moments to breathe.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

Return to “Composers' Workshop”