Music of every era

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
ekoza

Music of every era

Post by ekoza » Fri May 02, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi everyone,
I need help & suggestion to have deeper understanding of the characteristic of Music from each Era. So please share your knowledge on the unique features of different Era. I am doing this to do an analysis on a major work of each Era starting from Renaissance to Post Romantic Era, to extract the unique features every Era developed in Music (generally) but particularly the CG music.
What I know or materials I have feels limited.
I'm picking Fantasia from Renaissance to analyse their use of polyphony and harmony. (just started working on it)
Baroque: Dance suites or Fugue (preferably J.S.Bach or S.L.Weiss)
Classical: Sonata (for guitar music, I'm not sure what to choose)
Romantic: Major works of Sor/Giuliani/Tarrega
Post Romantic: have lots of choices but finding it difficult to choose
Please give me your suggestions and also share your view on which musical form best describes the Era. :idea:
:?:
Thanks
:merci:

guitarlojak

Re: Music of every era

Post by guitarlojak » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi,

what you are describing there is basically the knowledge about forms. But to understand those forms, you have to learn some music theory first... in my opinion.
So have a look at the maybe most important piece of Renaissance era, the missa pape marcelli by Palestrina (EVERY kind of instrumental music was kind of... inferior those times...). Study the lines of the single voices, analyse the intervalls, analyse the endings, the scales, the proportion. How did Palestrina build his melodies?
For baroque music: Learn the rules of the figuerd bass. You can learn it on paper, but do it properly... Then analyse the intervals and chords of Bach or Händel pieces and compare it to the Renaissance music. Pieces: Prelude in C (Bach) Water music (Händel) St John Passion (Bach)
Classic and Romantic: Learn to play cadences, invent basses that sound good and improvise on it. You can get a lot of information on Youtube/Internet.
Modern era. Pieces: Sonata facile (Mozart) Doesn't really matter what. Start easy and then go to challenging works.
Modern: Get Information about 12-Tone works, Serialism, and about the harmony of debussy. Analyse harmony in his preludes. Tank you can hear something by Mahler, Schönberg, Messiaen, Cage, Stockhausen, Boulez, Schostakovitsch, Grisey, Murail, Rihm, Scelsi, Ligeti, Henze, Jörg Widmann, Enno Poppe, Kaija Saariaho, Toshio Hosokawa or so.

If you need scores (legal!):
http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page

Phil
Andreas Krüger 2009, Cedar with Indian Rosewood

twisterguitar

Post by twisterguitar » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:30 pm

Buy Norton and other books....google and amazon/local bookstore are your friends. Follow a course Music History at Uni. These kind of threads will only lead to arguments, tons of BS and other ****. Hey, you can't say **** here. **** **** **** **** ****. Nope, doesn't work.

stevel

Post by stevel » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:26 am

Agree with the above. Can of worms.

My question is, WHY are you doing this?

The study of any style in particular can be a life-long endeavor. Lute in the Renaissance alone...plenty there to delve into...forever.

I would say, learning to play the music will tell you a great deal about it. Fill that in with knowledge specific to a given period or style (such as Baroque ornamentation).

I mean, what you're asking kind of sounds like you need to go to a college that offers a serious guitar program with studies concentrating in both lute and guitar with not only a strong performance component, but a strong history component.

Otherwise, play a lot, read a lot, and watch a lot of youtube videos.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:48 pm

twisterguitar wrote: These kind of threads will only lead to arguments, tons of BS and other ****. Hey, you can't say **** here. **** **** **** **** ****. Nope, doesn't work.
Aww . . . it's just terrible being circumspect and respectful towards other people, isn't it? And even worse when you get called on it repeatedly. Poor baby. :wink:

twisterguitar

Post by twisterguitar » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:08 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:
twisterguitar wrote: These kind of threads will only lead to arguments, tons of BS and other ****. Hey, you can't say **** here. **** **** **** **** ****. Nope, doesn't work.
Aww . . . it's just terrible being circumspect and respectful towards other people, isn't it? And even worse when you get called on it repeatedly. Poor baby. :wink:
Hey, I just happen to like it when I get called on, I need the challenge. Besides, you can only learn about yourself through other people. Sitting about in your room meditating about yourself doesn't teach you anything about yourself, I need to go out there and meet the likes of you.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:36 pm

In response to the OP, and at the risk of spouting BS, I would say that the capacity to recognise period and style just by listening is stage 1. If you can't do that then harmonic analysis etc etc will be simply theoretical. Once you know and recognise style and period just from listening then go into analysis (not psycho, although that can be good too) to see what the differences are.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:58 pm

ekoza wrote: Classical: Sonata (for guitar music, I'm not sure what to choose)
Romantic: Major works of Sor/Giuliani/Tarrega
It is debatable on where Sor and Giuliani really fit, they are very much in the transition of classical to romantic and in many ways look back to classical rather than forward to romantic. The guitar music of that era was very strongly linked to the contemporary italian opera, not so much to the german symphony, and it was the german symphony that defined romanticism. There are several sonatas from this period. For earlier classical look up Tyler and Sparks: the guitar and its music, it has a lot of information on the music before Sor/Giuliani etc.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Return to “Composers' Workshop”