Equivalent to pedal marks

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Max Karios

Equivalent to pedal marks

Post by Max Karios » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:02 am

Is there any equivalent to piano pedal marks for guitar? I cannot remember having seen anything. I need it for some kind of harp imitation that would be a pain to write and read in exact durations. Something like ┕━━ for the beginning and ━━┙ for the end underneath the staff would probably require a legend to make sense to anyone.

Oliver Newman

Re: Equivalent to pedal marks

Post by Oliver Newman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:45 pm

For sustain? l.v. sempre, or let ring throughout at the start, and a damp/mute symbol at the 'pedal breaks'.
damp.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Max Karios

Post by Max Karios » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:23 pm

I thought about a "let ring" at the beginning of the score, but it seems a bit too vague. On the other hand, I probably need to give indications on what note should be played on what string to get the harp effect of overlapping second intervals. This alone clutters the score quite a bit already. Anyway, thanks for the response. I'll try out a few things. The piece in only a draft at the moment, so I don't really know what will work best for the finished score.

Quinne

Post by Quinne » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:48 am

What matters is that the performer knows what to do. l.v. will suffice

Return to “Composers' Workshop”