New classical guitar music - A Wedding March (Theme and Vari

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
cjrenzi

New classical guitar music - A Wedding March (Theme and Vari

Post by cjrenzi » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:38 pm

10 4.mp3
We married in 1997. I finally got around to notating and making a vid of the march I composed for my wife. Any thoughts, suggestions or questions on my work? Thank you in advance for listening and/or viewing!
-cj

http://www.cjrenziguitar.com/wp-content ... -Score.pdf

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF0aYimnksw[/youtube]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drew p

Re: New classical guitar music - A Wedding March (Theme and

Post by drew p » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:04 am

pretty good overall! My only criticisms are kind of... dependent on other things.

First, were you going for a continuous or sectional T&V? For continuous, you may think about how pachebel's cannon goes--gradually increasing in complexity and whatnot with each variation. In this one, you increase in a fairly standard way, but it's all in the same variation, which makes it kind of disjunct when you get to the "sections" within the variation--it sounds too abrupt switching from 8th notes to triplets to 16ths. Then your 2nd variation slows way down, which would be fine... but maybe too soon and ideally you'd want to come up afterward, end on a high note, so to speak.

If you're going for sectional, you may want to add some more definite breaks in it at the end of each variation.

Really in either case, what I would do, FWIW, is space out your thematic stuff a bit more. Do a whole variation with 8th notes, then triplets, then maybe a slow one in A minor, then... at least end on 16th notes, don't necessarily have to start with them. Also in the early ones try to maintain a lot of the original melody, in this one the melody kind of gets lost in your first variation where you're just sort of playing with the harmony, which is common in later variations but as a first one... functionally the actual melody isn't "in our heads" enough yet to see enough similarity between that and the original melody to really perceive it as a variation.

I like the way it sounds overall, this is just a bit of a mix of "how 'they' did it" and "how 'I' do it" as constructive criticism

cjrenzi

Re: New classical guitar music - A Wedding March (Theme and

Post by cjrenzi » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:42 pm

Fantastic feedback, Drew! Thank you. I composed it so long ago, I am not sure what I was thinking, but I like the idea of a slow A min variation or other related key. Ending on a more exciting variation (16ths) would be good too.

Also, we needed to get my wife down the aisle and I could not make the piece too long:) Perhaps that may explain the lack of development, no minor section and partial variations here. You made an excellent critical reply with tact and substance which is a pleasant event on a forum.

Have a great weekend!!!

Return to “Composers' Workshop”