Commissioning Guitar Music

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
michael karmon

Commissioning Guitar Music

Post by michael karmon » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:57 am

Here's a short blog post I wrote about commissioning guitar music:

http://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/co ... ic-karmon/

UKsteve

Re: Commissioning Guitar Music

Post by UKsteve » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:19 pm

I found that really interesting; thanks for putting it up.

I was astonished, however, at the concept that someone might think they could get some music commissioned "for free".

Sure, I can understand that if you're John Williams or Andrew York, Marcin Dylla etc. people will fall over themselves rushing to write for you but for the rest of us, I would expect to pay (and handsomely) to have a piece of music commissioned. I would not expect anyone to work for free. My plumber certainly won't do so!

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:02 pm

Or put "guitar"in on musescore and find someone who writes the kind of thing you like, because its a vanity exercise,i'm sure the composer would adapt a piece,or enjoy writing a new one.there seems to be very little money in writing music,unless you are already in the "business" there arecalso many writers on Delcamp

michael karmon

Post by michael karmon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:22 am

UKsteve: My plumber won't do it either, and his daughter is in the same classroom as my kids, so he's practically family. :)

Thanks for reading my post. I've actually received many requests to write music for free. Often these come with a promise of many performances and/or a recording. But too often things don't quite work out, which makes this kind arrangement less than ideal.

michael karmon

Post by michael karmon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:29 am

Malc: I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here...

Are you saying that composing is a trivial and vain pursuit? Sure, I'll go along with that. But then again, you can say that about life itself.

And yes, there are many writers on Delcamp. But from what I've seen many are unlikely to consistently compose effective music that can be played by others. My hope is that my post might help you find those who can.

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:04 pm

By vanity i wasn't reflecting the idea of triviality, but we can think our work is good enough to put out there and maybe some of it is? as an earlier post pointed out even the greats had their "churn it out stuff"

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:02 pm

I would think that a true artist, who has, in their soul (or whatever one chooses to call a person's inner essence) the desire to create music and to share it with others, is not vain or simply thinking that their stuff is "good enough" for others, but it reflects a yearning to communicate with their fellow humans in the best -- and perhaps only -- way they know how. I, for one, am immensely grateful that there are (and always have been) composers (among other artists) who are compelled to share their gifts with us. We may not always like what they offer, but life would be pretty empty without the art they create. Mind you, not all people who create "art" are true artists, but I have utmost respect (and awe!) for those who are.

michael karmon

Post by michael karmon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:49 pm

I see, Malc. Right, the question of whether one's music is good enough to put out there is interesting. I think once you've sorted out your technique as a composer, and once you've figured out what you want to say, it becomes very difficult to predict the success or failure of your music. At that point you either put everything out there or put everything in a drawer.

michael karmon

Post by michael karmon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:52 pm

Thanks for the comment Lovemyguitar. Well said. :)

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:54 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:I would think that a true artist, who has, in their soul (or whatever one chooses to call a person's inner essence) the desire to create music and to share it with others, is not vain or simply thinking that their stuff is "good enough" for others, but it reflects a yearning to communicate with their fellow humans in the best -- and perhaps only -- way they know how. I, for one, am immensely grateful that there are (and always have been) composers (among other artists) who are compelled to share their gifts with us. We may not always like what they offer, but life would be pretty empty without the art they create. Mind you, not all people who create "art" are true artists, but I have utmost respect (and awe!) for those who are.
Eloquently put.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”