ABACA form

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
michael karmon

ABACA form

Post by michael karmon » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:04 pm

Sometimes when you're stuck during composing it's useful to think of the structure of the piece. An ABACA form is really versatile and lets you get a lot of mileage out of your ideas. In the example below A is the main theme, B is developmental, C is a contrast, and the last A is a variation. I really like working with this form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RswBfSu ... e=youtu.be

drew p

Re: ABACA form

Post by drew p » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:06 am

I've been improvising with this form lately--gives a rondo feel, but you only have to go into it with a pre written A section. I usually do something like B-dom key C-relative or parallel minor or major... whatever's most comfortable in that key

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:32 am

A pleasure to hear. Unique and dynamic composition, Michael, and crafty playing with a sweet tone by Jouni. It was made even better by being able to read the print music while listening. Nice idea to do that.

Gruupi

Post by Gruupi » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:22 am

Nice piece Michael.

michael karmon

Post by michael karmon » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:02 pm

Thanks for the nice comments, Lawler and Gruupi, I appreciate it.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:06 pm

Yes, terrific piece of music and so accurately and musically played by Jouni. Haven't heard anything from Mr Stenroos recently :( , what a player.

michael karmon

Post by michael karmon » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:25 am

Hi Denian! Last time I was in touch with Jouni he was taking a bit of a break from playing. Hopefully he's done with that by now. :)

Paul Wegmann

Post by Paul Wegmann » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:16 pm

That's beautiful man! congratulations!

llawrence

Post by llawrence » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:38 pm

You have a great sense of rhythm. The polyrhythms of three against two are something I dabble in myself quite a bit, and you do it well here.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:45 pm

Michael, another interesting and enjoyable composition. Thanks for posting!
llawrence wrote:The polyrhythms of three against two are something I dabble in myself quite a bit,
Every time I hear someone says that I remember my piano teacher from 35-ish years ago: "It's not four against three, it's four WITH three!" :D
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

walfordr

Post by walfordr » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:22 pm

Very nice playing of a very interesting composition.

And I like the video style too - simple, but perfect for this forum.

:bravo:

llawrence

Post by llawrence » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:17 pm

oski79 wrote:Every time I hear someone says that I remember my piano teacher from 35-ish years ago: "It's not four against three, it's four WITH three!" :D
:) True that - though that makes me think more of polymeter than polyrhythm.

I noticed your avatar, oski: are you a painter? Sebastopol is a nice little town, my mother used to live up there.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:26 pm

llawrence wrote:I noticed your avatar, oski: are you a painter? Sebastopol is a nice little town, my mother used to live up there.
No, a friend did that off a picture I sent him. We moved to Sebastopol three years ago from Seattle when I retired. Far and away the smallest town I've ever lived in (New York, Oakland, Berkeley, Seattle) which has taken some getting used to, but the town has a nice mellow vibe, and we live on about an acre of land.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:37 pm

Very nice piece! Thanks for sharing...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

cmeg1

Post by cmeg1 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:36 pm

michael karmon wrote:Sometimes when you're stuck during composing it's useful to think of the structure of the piece. An ABACA form is really versatile and lets you get a lot of mileage out of your ideas. In the example below A is the main theme, B is developmental, C is a contrast, and the last A is a variation. I really like working with this form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RswBfSu ... e=youtu.be
Great piece of music.Could you elaborate on the developmental section and perhaps the contrast too and how it would differ from the variation.
Were these marked in the piece any where? I will look again.
Thanks for posting! I am a newb to composing,not to say your piece did not follow abaca.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”