Transcribing vs Arranging

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Phillips99

Transcribing vs Arranging

Post by Phillips99 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:03 am

I've been reading guitarist bios. The book mentions if the guitarist was an accomplished transcribers or arranger. When talking about transcribing does that generally refer to directly making notation of a performance? Why would that term be used before recording? Does it also apply to transcribing from one instrument to another? Wouldn't that be arranging (or just transposing in some cases.) Just wanted some clarification. Thanks!
Joanne
Saez Marin
G90
Saez Marin G90

Phillips99

Re: Transcribing vs Arranging

Post by Phillips99 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:36 pm

Ok, I think I got it figured out. Transcribing is transferring a piece of music so that it can be played on the guitar while maintaining the original piece as accurately as possible, while arranging is making the piece your own but at least keeping it identifiable as the original.
Saez Marin G90

pogmoor

Re: Transcribing vs Arranging

Post by pogmoor » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:13 pm

Phillips99 wrote:Transcribing is transferring a piece of music so that it can be played on the guitar while maintaining the original piece as accurately as possible, while arranging is making the piece your own but at least keeping it identifiable as the original.
That's broadly the way I think of it, though you tend to find the terms used fairly loosely.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Return to “Composers' Workshop”