Switched to Classical guitar after 10+ years of metal. Such a wonderful instrument for Composition

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Smudger5150

Re: Switched to Classical guitar after 10+ years of metal. Such a wonderful instrument for Composition

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:23 am

Mick the Ramirez Man wrote:Congratulations on your metamorphosis! I am an ex-rocker; no regrets. Great little composition!!! :okok:

Want some fun? Go into your local rock guitar shop and sit down and play Classical Guitar. The rockers will all stand around in reverence and awe! :wink:
Agreed - this will most likely happen.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Smudger5150

Re: Switched to Classical guitar after 10+ years of metal. Such a wonderful instrument for Composition

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:44 pm

On a slightly related note of impressing guitarists in other genres and slightly straying off topic, Benjamin Verdery related an anecdote on a podcast where he was asked to recommend and supply a classical guitar to the Rolling Stones’ Keith Richards.
When he was about to meet him and whilst he was waiting, Benjamin was playing some Bach on it just as Keith came in and Keith said ‘Ok, stop showing off then!’

In the podcast, Benjamin was talking about Keith playing an old blues tune on the guitar and then they talked about how awkward Chuck Berry was to work with (there is a documentary where Chuck Berry and Keith worked together but Chuck didn’t take likely to people touching his amp, to put it mildly).
He didn’t emphasise that Keith was really impressed but I got the impression that he would have been from Benjamin’s classical playing

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:44 pm

Regarding whether your composition is for the correct genre i.e. classical, personally I think is really to do with what you want to write rather than whether it is 'correct' or not. In other words, are you trying to emulate a style of classical guitar music e.g. romantic, baroque, tango or are you just trying to get the best out of the instrument.
I don't think there should be rules about whether the piece is correct for the genre and for me, it's more about does it sound good! And yours did to me.
If getting the best out of the instrument is what you want then I'm sure there must be some info in the composition forums on this site.
John Williams has said that Barrios was the best composer for the guitar so maybe it's worth checking out his work 1st to get ideas.

neil

Post by neil » Mon May 29, 2017 7:53 pm

Classical and metal are not so far. hard rock and heavy metal use a lot of classical influence. Listen Yngwie Malmsteen...

Return to “Composers' Workshop”