Who wants to Record my Etude no.2?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Paul Wegmann

Re: Who wants to Record my Etude no.2?

Postby Paul Wegmann » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:43 am

I like it. I may have a go at recording it after I get to know it. It was a nice touch that you didn't encumber the piece with fingerings on the print music.

Thank you man! I really appreciate that! I'll be waiting, keep in Touch!

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:05 pm

mc1 wrote:markodarko, did you try it with an open g in bar 1 (i guess i'd call that 2nd position), then 1st position for bar 2?

Yes that's right, open G on the arpeggio with fingerings on fret 3 (C & high G) and fret 4 (D#), then 1st finger playing the G# in the 2nd bar with the other fingers staying where they are.

My fault for confusing "position" with "fret". :oops:
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

mc1

Postby mc1 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:21 pm

markodarko wrote:
mc1 wrote:markodarko, did you try it with an open g in bar 1 (i guess i'd call that 2nd position), then 1st position for bar 2?

Yes that's right, open G on the arpeggio with fingerings on fret 3 (C & high G) and fret 4 (D#), then 1st finger playing the G# in the 2nd bar with the other fingers staying where they are.

My fault for confusing "position" with "fret". :oops:

thanks for clarifying. it could also be played barred at the 3rd, so that's what i thought you meant. :)

ric2801

Postby ric2801 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Paul, this piece is very beautiful, i loved it. I will try to play it, thanks a lot for share.

Paul Wegmann

Postby Paul Wegmann » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:48 pm

ric2801 wrote:Paul, this piece is very beautiful, i loved it. I will try to play it, thanks a lot for share.

Thank you Ric! Greetings from Brazil!

Peter Oberg
Luthier

Postby Peter Oberg » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:18 pm

I like it, I might give it a go time permitting. Reminds me a bit of Ben Monder's music, though a bit less adventurous harmonically.
Nice job!
pdo

Paul Wegmann

Postby Paul Wegmann » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:44 am

Thanks Peter!

Well... comparing to Ben Monder this is too classic! hehe

JMinkey

Postby JMinkey » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:29 am

I played just the first few bars and one thing that immediately came to my attention was the misspelling of chords. For example, you spell what is clearly a c minor chord with c, g, and d# (where the d# should be eb). These errors continued throughout the part that I played. Otherwise, I don't really have anything to say because I haven't heard the vast majority of your piece.

stevel

Postby stevel » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:01 am

Paul, May I offer some advice...

I would change the sharps to flats at the beginning. It is essentially C Minor. Using the sharps will end up being confusing to a performer. Someone like me starts to play it and we get caught up in "wait, this is an Eb and an Ab, why is he using sharps?" and then get distracted. If you want people to perform your music, one of the best things you can do is make it as easy for them to read as possible. And that, in many cases, can mean "what they're used to". While this is an original idea, it's a "typical" kind of thing in that it's got some chromatically moving notes within some typical chordal structures. They're used to seeing it one way and if it all looks different it's confusing. If they start second-guessing everything, it not only becomes distracting to the performer, but they also make the assumption you don't know what you're doing. And with modern-sounding music that's going to be one more argument not to play it!

I'd change all the sharp notes to their flat enharmonics on the first line.

In fact, any publisher would.

Also, chromatics don't affect the octave so it makes more sense, for example, to have G and Ab in measure 2 together instead of G# and G natural. Otherwise, even they they don't alter the octave, you'd really need a lot more cautionary accidentals in there just to be clear.

Really, you could (should) go with flats all the way to the "a tempo" in measure 11 (where it changes to Em which makes more sense with sharps as it is of course).

Interestingly, you do go back to "C minor" at measure 13, so the first 10 measures being that way is right in line (and the G# in m. 13 could be an Ab as well and m. 14 could use all flats then that's all consistent).

I think you need to go to sharps as you did in m. 19.

The Bb in m. 34 could be an A# to no ill effect, and really should be.

Oops just saw the post above - but he's right - see how it starts to raise eyebrows when you use the wrong spelling?

Otherwise, I played through it and it's quite nice. You go through some nice harmonies with some nice moving notes in there as well as the little melodic idea that kind of ties things together. Typical "study" as you say and I think you're right on the money. It's not unlike something I'd write, but I'd spell the chords right ;-)

Not something I'd be able to record without some work though.

Is it Finale? Can you run a MIDI file or audio file of it so people can at least get an idea of the sound?

mc1

Postby mc1 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:10 pm

stevel wrote:...
Is it Finale? Can you run a MIDI file or audio file of it so people can at least get an idea of the sound?

post #3 in this thread provides a link to a recording.

Paul Wegmann

Postby Paul Wegmann » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:26 pm

Stevel! I really understand your point, you are right! I will change that notes you mencioned. This contact between composers and performers is really valuable, because sometimes we are so concerned with the idea and we forget to be clear in some aspects, as, in this case, the accidentals!

I will post a new version of this... just give me a few days! And THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

mainterm

Postby mainterm » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:45 pm

I just read through this piece - I didn't find it hard to read nor play (generally). There are a few awkward spots that could be either clarified with fingerings or edited to be a little more idiomatic to the guitar (or like Castelnuovo-Tedesco and Rodrigo just make us deal with it as is).

I also agree that from a publishing perspective the piece needs some editing in terms of note spelling, directions, dynamics etc. Perhaps you've got this new version ready to post?

In any case, I generally enjoyed the piece. Maybe a bit long with the repetition of the middle bit.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”