Important guitar composers

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
jake39

Important guitar composers

Postby jake39 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:00 am

If you were to make a list of the most important composers for cg, who would you feel are the most indispensable when it comes to classical guitar pedagogy? I'm thinking about composers a student absolutely should know about.

hanredman

Re: Important guitar composers

Postby hanredman » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:17 am

Carrulli, Giuliani, Sor, Tarrega, Villa-Lobos, Moreno-Torroba, Barrios, Castelnovo-Tedesco, just to name a few.
Joseph Redman
Amateur Guitar Builder

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Postby Scot Tremblay » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:42 am

Horetsky, Klinger, Matiegka, Mertz, Molino, Padovetz, Pettoletti, de Fossa, Zani de Ferranti to name a few more.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:30 am

Llobet and Brouwer seem obvious additions.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Postby Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:44 am

- Arcas, Sagreras, Cano. Maybe Calatayud.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Postby MartinCogg » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:46 am

Pedagogy? - maybe Aguado before Zani de Ferranti? (certainly A-Z wise), meself I've yet to find any Zani pieces
I want to tackle...

Scot Tremblay wrote: Zani de Ferranti.

are there any Zani pieces in particular you have in mind as pretty good to play that you could point me to Scot?

Let's not forget Carcassi.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:10 am

Riffy's ditties.

Kjetil Heggelund

Postby Kjetil Heggelund » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:19 am

Some from the rennaisance: Milan, Narvaez, Mudarra, da Milano, Dowland & baroque: de Visée, Sanz, Bach, Weiss, Scarlatti. I think all guitarists should play some of these, even if some are transcriptions.
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Postby Scot Tremblay » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 am

MartinCogg wrote:Pedagogy? - maybe Aguado before Zani de Ferranti? (certainly A-Z wise), meself I've yet to find any Zani pieces
I want to tackle...

Scot Tremblay wrote: Zani de Ferranti.

are there any Zani pieces in particular you have in mind as pretty good to play that you could point me to Scot?

Let's not forget Carcassi.

OK, I kind of overlooked the "pedagogy" part of the question, thinking mainly of the more advanced player. However, the 24 Caprices Op. 11 and maybe the earlier Six Nocturnes Bibliques, Op. 3 have some pieces that might serve pedagogical purposes. For the most part, both Zani de Ferranti and Aguado (including Aguados' studies from the method) wrote pretty tough material. They must have been formidable players as must have been some of the others on my list.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:43 am

The student works of Reginald Smith Brindle are, in my book, indispensable for introducing students to the 20th-century language.

The studies contained in Volume 1 of his Guitarcosmos are very varied. As the composer states in the introduction: ‘There is tonal music, and atonal music, pieces using whole-tone and pentatonic scales, modal music, bitonality, serial techniques and music in the style of free dissonance’. All the music fits under the fingers beautifully.

Here is a link to my recording of thirteen of the short pieces:

https://soundcloud.com/robmackillop/set ... dle-guitar

jake39

Postby jake39 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:25 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm trying to fill some gaps in my knowledge. There are more than I realized.

Jay

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Postby MartinCogg » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Scot Tremblay wrote:
OK, I kind of overlooked the "pedagogy" part of the question.

Not really, there's his 44 exercises op.50, but I find them somewhat uninviting, along with the rest of the works I've looked
at (acquired those Chanterelle books some years back) - just wondering if there was something you liked to play amongst them.
When one looks at pieces it's good if they have something that sort of draws you in to make the effort with any difficulties -
Zani de Ferranti seems pretty challenging - though I know one opus of easy stuff, can't remember op # just at the moment*.

* and another edit - op.43 Walzer is what it be.
Last edited by MartinCogg on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ashworth

Postby ashworth » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:56 pm

I'd add Ponce certainly, and maybe Coste.
- Donnie

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Postby Scot Tremblay » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:09 pm

MartinCogg wrote:... - just wondering if there was something you liked to play amongst them.
When one looks at pieces it's good if they have something that sort of draws you in to make the effort with any difficulties -
Zani de Ferranti seems pretty challenging...

I like the 24 Caprices Op. 11. by Zani de Ferranti. They are pretty much the only ones I play through on a semi regular basis. And sometimes the Six Nocturnes...But most of his other stuff strikes me as over the top virtuoso fluff designed to separate the ladies in the audience from their under garments...Perhaps I'm of the age where one no longer has the energy necessary to pursue such an undertaking with much vigour. :shock:

The Op. 44, I'm not familiar with. I'll have to look it up.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Postby MartinCogg » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:18 pm

Scot Tremblay wrote:The Op. 44, I'm not familiar with. I'll have to look it up.

n.b. I edited my error - tis 44 exercises op.50 :?

Return to “Composers' Workshop”