Important guitar composers

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
PaulHardy

Re: Important guitar composers

Post by PaulHardy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:05 am

For the 20th Century maybe the Dodgson-Quine studies, and perhaps those of Gerald Garcia. These are very popular.

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:16 am

jake39 wrote:If you were to make a list of the most important composers for cg, who would you feel are the most indispensable when it comes to classical guitar pedagogy? I'm thinking about composers a student absolutely should know about.
I am surprised by all previous answers. Is there something that I am missing? For pedagogy? What you need to know as a teacher to give to your students? I would have said to start with the simplest studies of Carcassi and Carulli. Then go to the easiest studies of Sor and Aguado. After mastering the very basics, I would think to recommend good collections that span the entire repetoire. Ethor Thorlakkson's Guitar Moments (books 1 to 4) is my favorite for musical quality and spanning the guitar repetoire. Prof. Delcamp's Anthology, available through this web site, is another good choice. Prof. Delcamp provides much more material of the Renaissance and Early Baroque and the 20th century than the Thorlakkson collection. The studies of Sor (for instance, Op 35, 31, 44, and 6) are musically beautiful and address one issue of technical development at a time. I don't know about pedagogy beyond that point, because I have not gotten there yet. All of the above are available in the public domain or through this web site. Not available in the public domain, I think that the Baroque and Classical Anthologies of the European Guitar Teacher's Association is superb. And I agree completely with a previous post that recommended the works of Bartolomé Calatayud (The Guitar Music of Spain, Volume One) as an introduction to the Catalonian and Spanish repetoire.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Nitin Nepali

Post by Nitin Nepali » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:52 am

Yes, I agree with all. But Sor Fernando is the best.

Richard Salazar

Post by Richard Salazar » Fri May 13, 2016 6:04 am

If you have the patience and the hours to invest, Julio Sagreras is by far my favorite. His studies are varied and musically interesting no matter what stage you are at as a student.

Kent

Post by Kent » Fri May 13, 2016 1:01 pm

PaulHardy wrote:For the 20th Century maybe the Dodgson-Quine studies, and perhaps those of Gerald Garcia. These are very popular.
And John W. Duarte

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Fri May 13, 2016 1:32 pm

I would add Rodrigo to the list as well.

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:16 pm

Nitin Nepali wrote:Yes, I agree with all. But Sor Fernando is the best.
Nitin,
A lot has happened in the four years since I wrote that post, and I completely agree with you. Aguado, Carcassi, and Carulli are not essential. I now own the complete works of Sor (Tecla edition) and I agree with you that you do not need any other material than Sor. I cannot recommend Op 51, as it is pure satire on the works of those other composers for complete beginners, and has zero musical value. But after Op. 44, the 24 studies in Op. 35 and Op 31 contain superb material, which will carry the student up to the intermediate level of playing. The advantage of Sor over ALL other composers of didactic material for the guitar is the high musical quality of his studies and the enormous range of genres. All of this is intended to develop the musical capabilities of the student in parallel with his technical development. At that point, they are ready to play Sor's more advanced studies (Op 6 and Op 29) and many of his non-didactic compositions (such as Op 1, 2, and 5), which contain many beautiful pieces with rich musical textures).
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Nitin Nepali

Post by Nitin Nepali » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:03 pm

Hello Yisrael van Handel,
I am a classical guitar player but it seems you are much more educated than I am.
Thanks for the valuable words that you have put in.
It is a complete education for me.

Thanks

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:19 am

Nitin Nepali wrote:Hello Yisrael van Handel,
I am a classical guitar player….

Thanks
Hi, Nitin,
Thanks for your kind words. However, do not be fooled. I am not as educated as you think. All of this, I learned in the last 5 years (and you see that I am not a youngster). I work full time, and do not have much time to study music. But I have kept it up for years now, and the knowledge does accumulate.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Nitin Nepali

Post by Nitin Nepali » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:04 am

Sir what I believe is it is never too late or start anything new because life still goes on even our body dies.So essentially we are creating our next body here.

2handband

Post by 2handband » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:34 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:The student works of Reginald Smith Brindle are, in my book, indispensable for introducing students to the 20th-century language.

The studies contained in Volume 1 of his Guitarcosmos are very varied. As the composer states in the introduction: ‘There is tonal music, and atonal music, pieces using whole-tone and pentatonic scales, modal music, bitonality, serial techniques and music in the style of free dissonance’. All the music fits under the fingers beautifully.

Here is a link to my recording of thirteen of the short pieces:

https://soundcloud.com/robmackillop/set ... dle-guitar
OK... that caught my attention. Nice recording, and really interesting music.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:43 pm

Thanks, 2hand.

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:45 pm

Antonio Lauro wasn't mentioned.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”