Schulz, Leonard - op.40/01 L'indispensable - Grave

Audio and video recordings of romantic and modern music (1850-1940, e.g. Albéniz, Barrios, Coste, Mertz, Llobet).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Granados, Enrique - op.37/05 Andaluza - D09 Video
or Ságreras, J. S. - op.19 Maria Luisa - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Ságreras, J. S. - 1/49 Lesson (One digit for lesson-book / two digits for lesson.)
or Anon. - Samba Lele - D03 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Rui Namora

Schulz, Leonard - op.40/01 L'indispensable - Grave

Postby Rui Namora » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Leonard Schulz (Vienna, 1814 - London, 1860) is a forgotten and obscure figure of the guitar world. Born into a family of musicians, he was a prodigy child who, along with his father and brother, traveled across Europe on a tour. Despite his virtuoso aura, his troubled adult life, at a time when the instrument was suffering a decline, contributed to the almost oblivion of his music, which only in the past years began to be rescued.

L'indispensable op.40 is a series of exercises and studies, published in London in 1840.
Recording of Exercise nº 1 (Grave), on a 8-guitar replica J.A. Stauffer (1837), built by Jan Tuláček(2015)

Rui Namora

L'indispensable_op40_1.mp3

https://soundcloud.com/rui-namora/leonard-schulz-exercise-n1-grave-from-lindispensable-op-40
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rui Namora on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luuttuaja

Re: Schulz, Leonard - op.40/01 Grave

Postby Luuttuaja » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:13 am

Thanks for the recording. At first, I was a bit puzzled about hearing the same notes all the time, like "am I listening to a Philip Glass piece?" I mean, it wasn't something I would expect to hear in a piece from 1840. I assume this really is an exercise for practicing? Thanks for letting us know about this obscure guitarist!

Rui Namora

Re: Schulz, Leonard - op.40/01 Grave

Postby Rui Namora » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:22 am

Hello, Luuttuaja.
Thank you for your comment. That beginning is strange, indeed (is he tuning the guitar or what?!). In the first part this study has the direction "For the first finger and thumb of the right hand", meaning that all those repeated notes are to be played repeating the index. This is the opposite to all guitar teaching - always alternate fingers. But it's quite interesting and funny playing this piece in this manner, because it's challenging to someone who as an established technique to try to deliberately control the strength and the tone colour with the same finger. Despite it, it can be played alternating fingers (as pointed out in the second edition of this studies in 1927, which as updated the technique indications).
The first studies of "L'indispensable", that I'll be posting soon, have similar "prescriptions" to other fingers.

For more information on Schulz, there is very good article written by Erik Stenstadvold - http://www.publications.guitarfoundation.org/sb384/files/assets/basic-html/page15.html

rui

bert

Re: Schulz, Leonard - op.40/01 L'indispensable - Grave

Postby bert » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:32 am

Very enjoyable. The slow buildup works well, although it indeed gets some getting used to.

David_Norton

Re: Schulz, Leonard - op.40/01 L'indispensable - Grave

Postby David_Norton » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Interesting piece, and well done.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to “Our recordings of Romantic and Modern music”