Ferrer, José - op.11/01 Nocturno - Video

Audio and video recordings of romantic and modern music (1850-1940, e.g. Albéniz, Barrios, Coste, Mertz, Llobet).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Granados, Enrique - op.37/05 Andaluza - D09 Video
or Ságreras, J. S. - op.19 Maria Luisa - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Ságreras, J. S. - 1/49 Lesson (One digit for lesson-book / two digits for lesson.)
or Anon. - Samba Lele - D03 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Tom Poore

Ferrer, José - op.11/01 Nocturno - Video

Post by Tom Poore » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:13 am

Recorded this lovely little Nocturno this morning.

Respected in his day as a teacher, performer, and composer, Spaniard José Ferrer’s music is conservative and aimed at the salon. Though seldom performed on the concert stage today, this music has a winsome charm, provided it’s played with empathy and affection. Ferrer’s Op. 11 Dos Nocturnos, published in 1888, bears the dedication “A mi querido amigo Dr. Juan Ferran.” The second of these Nocturnos occasionally finds favor with amateur players. But curiously, this attractive first one gets overlooked. Being the runt of the litter, I’ve taken a shine to it. It offers a chance to make the guitar sing.

guitar: 2001 Paul Fischer
paintings: Raimundo de Madrazo y Garreta (1841-1920)
music: http://www.delcamp.net/pdf/jose_ferrer_ ... turnos.pdf
mics: DPA 2011C
interface: Apogee Mini-Me
cables: Planet Waves Custom Series XLR
DAW: Audacity
computer: MacBook Pro

Youtube

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Last edited by Tom Poore on Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nick Cutroneo

Re: Ferrer, José - Nocturno, Op. 11, No. 1

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 am

Tom - wonderful recording, and thanks for bring this piece to my attention! The ornaments you put in are quite tasteful as well!
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:37 pm

Nick Cutroneo wrote: Tom—wonderful recording, and thanks for bring this piece to my attention!
Thanks. The sheet music has many repeats that I ignore. Some of them make little musical sense. So I take only the opening repeat—the piece seems better balanced without the others.

To my ears, the only problem with my performance is that the first 27 seconds are just a trifle too brisk. If had to record it again, I’d relax the beginning a tad. That said, this piece is fun to play. It offers a lot of leeway to the performer. It’s mystifying that it doesn’t get much attention. Then again, José Ferrer isn’t a ground breaking composer and is rather humdrum harmonically. So it’s not surprising that concert artists tend to overlook him.
The ornaments you put in are quite tasteful as well!
The secret is to cook them in bacon fat.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Tom Poore wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:37 pm
It’s mystifying that it doesn’t get much attention. Then again, José Ferrer isn’t a ground breaking composer and is rather humdrum harmonically. So it’s not surprising that concert artists tend to overlook him.
Certainly for me, it's been maybe a hand full of years that I've heard of Ferrer. Your sentiments perfectly sum up why, probably. His music isn't the most complex or ground breaking. But I've found that a lot of his larger pieces are quite suitable for students.

tateharmann

Re: Ferrer, José - op.11/01 Nocturno - Video

Post by tateharmann » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Right, many would classify his music as 'salon' music. I, for one, really like his music though...

I hadn't heard this particular one either so thanks for sharing! Great playing and recording!
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:50 pm

First off, I appreciate the kind comments.

And now, an apology.

Whenever I make a recording, I first do a rough preliminary recording. For this, I use a cheap handheld digital recorder. I listen to this recording for about a week, to see what bothers me. After listening carefully, I plan out how I want the piece to sound. Then I break out the good equipment and make a serious recording.

Somehow, unfortunately, I used the preliminary recording for my YouTube video. I selected the wrong audio file when creating the slideshow. Just noticed it today, remade the slideshow, and uploaded it to YouTube. I’ve also corrected the URL in my first post.

This music deserves better than my earlier substandard effort. And certainly those who listened before I caught my error deserve better. I sincerely regret my mistake.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:37 am

Tom - just listened to the updated recording - sounds great!

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:59 am

Nick, I say this in all seriousness. It really bothered me that you had listened to the wrong recording that I erroneously posted. So I’m grateful that you’ve taken the time to hear my improved effort.

Thanks.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:23 am

Nice work, Tom. This is a fun sounding piece and you give it just the right amount of Victorian Era schmaltz to be convincing. Applause, applause.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Tom Poore wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:59 am
Nick, I say this in all seriousness. It really bothered me that you had listened to the wrong recording that I erroneously posted. So I’m grateful that you’ve taken the time to hear my improved effort.
Tom, I totally understand.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Intelligently and sensitively played. Beautiful tone. The DPA 2011C is an interesting mic in its design. Sounds here like it captures very well what is in front of it. :)

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks to all.
Lawler wrote:The DPA 2011C is an interesting mic in its design. Sounds here like it captures very well what is in front of it.
The mics were recommended by a fellow guitarist who’s also a very good recording engineer. I picked them up used over the internet. My guess is they’re capable of better than what I’ve done so far. I’m limited by the locations I use for recording. If I ever get a chance to record in an acoustically good room, I’ll grab it.

For me, the most interesting part of this recording is the pianissimo section beginning at the 1:47 mark. I want this to be very soft and wistful, but was unsure how low I could go. Originally I used a somewhat louder take for this section. Listening to it, however, the passage begged for something quieter. I had one take where I’d played as quietly as I dared. (Fortunately it was an almost perfect take—there was one annoying left hand squeak I was able to edit out.) At the time I was playing, it seemed far too quiet. But that’s the take I ended up using.

The sound is reasonably clean and detailed. (Perhaps too detailed—there are places where you can hear my finger bumping over the frets during glissandi.) I made this recording at a friend’s house. It was done in a medium sized living room with hardwood floors and few curtains or carpeting to absorb the sound. Unlike most of my recordings, I didn’t use artificial reverb on this one. The sound seems good enough to stand on its own. I just wish there was more sense of space.
David Norton wrote:This is a fun sounding piece and you give it just the right amount of Victorian Era schmaltz to be convincing.
It’s a sweet little ditty, and I did a lot of planning on how to put it across. Pieces like this show off how alluring the guitar can be.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:30 pm

Thank you for this very nice video, I really enjoyed listening to this piece!

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Wow, I like this piece, and good playing too.
I think this piece just might work nicely on my romantic guitar, and I will be finding out for sure soon.

Thanks for sharing!

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:50 am

Tom Poore wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:17 pm
For me, the most interesting part of this recording is the pianissimo section beginning at the 1:47 mark. I want this to be very soft and wistful, but was unsure how low I could go. Originally I used a somewhat louder take for this section. Listening to it, however, the passage begged for something quieter. I had one take where I’d played as quietly as I dared. (Fortunately it was an almost perfect take—there was one annoying left hand squeak I was able to edit out.) At the time I was playing, it seemed far too quiet. But that’s the take I ended up using.
It's funny how critical we can be of our own recordings...we know them intimately, warts and all :/ I'm the same way with mine. I assure you, however, that as a casual listener to this beautiful recording I don't hear anything but lovely music. It's nice being on the other end of the recording and just getting to listen to the results of hard work!
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

Return to “Our recordings of Romantic and Modern music”