Ferrer, José - op.11/01 Nocturno - Video

Audio and video recordings of romantic and modern music (1850-1940, e.g. Albéniz, Barrios, Coste, Mertz, Llobet).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Granados, Enrique - op.37/05 Andaluza - D09 Video
or Ságreras, J. S. - op.19 Maria Luisa - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Ságreras, J. S. - 1/49 Lesson (One digit for lesson-book / two digits for lesson.)
or Anon. - Samba Lele - D03 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Tom Poore

Re: Ferrer, José - op.11/01 Nocturno - Video

Post by Tom Poore » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:24 pm

tateharmann wrote:It's funny how critical we can be of our own recordings...we know them intimately, warts and all. I'm the same way with mine.
I recall reading an interview with Manuel Barrueco. He told of being in a restaurant and hearing a classical guitar recording in the background. For a moment he listened closely, appalled at how bad the playing was. Then he suddenly realized it was one of his own recordings.

To be honest, I’m not like this at all. Once I get a recording to where I want it, I’m happy to hear it. But I have advantages over a busy concert artist like Barrueco. Unlike him, I don’t have to maintain a lot of repertoire. I can lavish all my practice time on a single piece. And I can record it at my leisure. If a recording doesn’t suit me, I’ll do it again.

Barrueco has more ability—I have more time. That, of course, doesn’t raise me to his level. But it gets my foot in the door.

It also helps that this particular Ferrer Nocturno is seldom performed. I’ve never encountered a recording of it. So far as I know, mine is the only one. Hey, that makes it the definitive recording! Now I can cross that off my bucket list.
powderedtoastman wrote:I think this piece just might work nicely on my romantic guitar, and I will be finding out for sure soon.
Dammit! You’ll probably record it too, thus ending my exclusive status. Thanks for destroying my sole claim to fame.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:04 pm

Tom Poore wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:24 pm
powderedtoastman wrote:I think this piece just might work nicely on my romantic guitar, and I will be finding out for sure soon.
Dammit! You’ll probably record it too, thus ending my exclusive status. Thanks for destroying my sole claim to fame.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
I'll let you have this one for a while... I have my own list of nice pieces that I haven't heard any recordings of that I can swoop in on :mrgreen:

dropbydrop

Post by dropbydrop » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:14 am

Very nice work, Tom.
A delight to listen it.
:merci:
don't worry about how long it's going to take you,
just enjoy the journey [by goodtone]
this is the gift [by me]

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:19 pm

dropbydrop wrote: Very nice work, Tom. A delight to listen it.
I enjoyed resuscitating this little tune from obscurity. Glad you enjoyed hearing it.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Johnny Geudel

Post by Johnny Geudel » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:15 pm

Congratulations.
A delight to listen to, indeed.

llebron

Post by llebron » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:48 am

Beautiful music beautifully played.