Frey, E. H. - Spanish Dance

Audio and video recordings of romantic and modern music (1850-1940, e.g. Albéniz, Barrios, Coste, Mertz, Llobet).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Granados, Enrique - op.37/05 Andaluza - D09 Video
or Ságreras, J. S. - op.19 Maria Luisa - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Ságreras, J. S. - 1/49 Lesson (One digit for lesson-book / two digits for lesson.)
or Anon. - Samba Lele - D03 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
williamgroome

Frey, E. H. - Spanish Dance

Post by williamgroome » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:07 am

A little something off the beaten path from romantic times. American guitarist/composer E.H. Frey with his "Spanish Dance" from 1892. I found this in an issue of S.S. Stewart's Banjo and Guitar Journal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vesuvio

Re: Frey, E. H. - Spanish Dance

Post by Vesuvio » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:33 am

Good morning William,

You seem to have such an empathy with the music of this period; thank you so much for another delightful recording,

Best wishes, V :D :bravo:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Duang Turongratanachai
Student of the online lessons

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:19 pm

Lively and enjoyable :casque:
:merci:
nok

williamgroome

Post by williamgroome » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:44 am

Thank you Vesuvio and nokturong for your comments. I'm happy to share some of this unknown American music with everyone here.

Sean

Post by Sean » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks for sharing this - I've never heard of it or of the composer.

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:08 am

:bravo:
What a delightful little piece, I can see why you chose to play it for us. Do you know where we can get the score? I know that others as well as me would enjoy trying our hand at this piece. I think that I'll just listen to it again. :wink:
Thank you for giving us this opportunity to hear you play, I really enjoyed hearing you.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

williamgroome

Post by williamgroome » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Thanks Sean and Kay. Most of the American composers from the 1800s to early 1900s will be unknown to most guitarists. That era of American music has basically been forgotten. Kay, you can find the score here...https://urresearch.rochester.edu/instit ... onNumber=1. Scroll down to the Feb/Mar 1892 issue of S.S. Stewart's Banjo and Guitar Journal. You might also enjoy reading about what the guitar/banjo scene was like then. There are over 40 issues to freely download and read/play from. All this music is in the public domain.

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:30 am

:casque:
Thank you, I shall try it.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

Marieh

Post by Marieh » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:20 pm

:casque: :bravo:
williamgroome wrote: you can find the score here...https://urresearch.rochester.edu/instit ... onNumber=1. Scroll down to the Feb/Mar 1892 issue of S.S. Stewart's Banjo and Guitar Journal.

Return to “Our recordings of Romantic and Modern music”