Llobet, Miguel - El testament d'Amèlia played without nails with silk and gut strings

Audio and video recordings of romantic and modern music (1850-1940, e.g. Albéniz, Barrios, Coste, Mertz, Llobet).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Granados, Enrique - op.37/05 Andaluza - D09 Video
or Ságreras, J. S. - op.19 Maria Luisa - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Ságreras, J. S. - 1/49 Lesson (One digit for lesson-book / two digits for lesson.)
or Anon. - Samba Lele - D03 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Mercurio2688

Llobet, Miguel - El testament d'Amèlia played without nails with silk and gut strings

Postby Mercurio2688 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:10 pm

Guitar by Daniel Bernaert after Torres.
Strings made of gut and silk.
Played without nails, that is with the fingertip or flesh of the right hand fingers.
Recording made in Tampa, Florida.
I hope you like it.

Youtube
Last edited by Mercurio2688 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Daniel Bernaert 2011 after Torres 1864 "La Suprema". Spruce/Mapple
-Juan Montes 2010. Cedar/Madagascar Rosewood
-Hijos de González ca.1890 Spruce/Walnut ( Sons of Francisco González, Madrid) [SOLD]
-Ramirez 1965 Spruce/Indian Rosewood [SOLD]

andi33x

Re: LLobet, Miguel - El testament d'Amèlia played without nails with silk and gut strings

Postby andi33x » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:05 pm

wow I like it!
Is that really without nails? I cannot believe that!
Or are you left handed and you play without nails at the right hand? :)

Anyway :bravo:
Andreas
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

RobMacKillop

Re: LLobet, Miguel - El testament d'Amèlia played without nails with silk and gut strings

Postby RobMacKillop » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:09 pm

Might as well embed it here:

[Mod note: OP's post now amended]

The revolution continues! Why is everyone surprised when playing with the flesh sounds beautiful (as it most certainly does here)? Even nail players employ flesh to sweeten the sound. Beautiful playing and interpretation! The guitar seems excellent too. Encore!

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:25 pm

Lovely lovely lovely! ! I have my gut and silk strings now and I'm ready to get them on my Torres inspired guitar by Joseph Redman :) I'd be happy if it sounds half as good as this recording.

Or 1/4 as good haha.

Saludos!
Tate
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

Mercurio2688

Postby Mercurio2688 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:17 pm

Thank you so much for the replies gentelmen, I'm glad you like it. And thank you Rob for embeding it.
Yes, it's played without nails in the right hand. This technique has been present since centuries ago, and the introduction of plastic synthetic strings contributed to the fact that it almost disapeared in the second half of the XXth centurty. (Due to the low elasticity, the high polishing and low cost of nylon when compared to gut).
As you know, Tárrega first played with nails and then cut his nails in the last period of his life. With this audio I would like to make people think that in the Tárrega school, plucking strings with flesh or plucking them with nails are just two paralell paths. It shouldn't be any debate or contradiction, but people should certainly be informed of the fact that the flesh playing existed, exists and that it is a viable and respectable option same as nail playing.
Same goes for silk and gut strings. They have allways been arround and the marvelous music of Tárrega, Llobet or Pujol for example can be approached in a much more logic way with thoose strings since it was composed with thoose strings. The musical reasons for fingerings and positions that may seem shoking, outdated or even nonesense can be understood with gut and silk strings. Their response is different to synthetic strings in every possible way.
But of course it's not easy to play with them, I used to play with synthetic strings and nails and it took me close to one year to develop the sound you hear in the recording. That of course, means that I did not give any concerts during that time... I still have so much to improve but I like to think that I'm on the good way.
Thank you.
Kacper Wierzchos
-Hijos de González ca.1890 Spruce/Walnut ( Sons of Francisco González, Madrid) [SOLD]

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:43 am

One year? ??! Oh man...well I really enjoy the sound you are getting there. Both you and Rob have been excellent embassadors of the toque de yema sound and I look forward to digging into some Tarrega, Llobet, and Pujol with this new setup and technique :)

Mercurio2688

Postby Mercurio2688 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:34 am

Thank you tateharmann. Rob talks a lot about the flesh technique on his website and has a list of people who plays with flesh, it's very intersting. Some of the people listed there have an amazing sound but there is one important consideration: due to the soft nature of the flesh and the writings of Pujol, Sor and others, people tend to think that if someone plays with flesh, it automatically means having a sweet and mellow sound. That's not true at all: same as with nails, the flesh tone needs time and work to be developed.
Pujol in his essay about Tárrega tells us that Tárrega needed a time to develop an acceptable flesh tone after cutting his nails, and that this prevented him from giving concerts during that time and contributed to his economical problems...
I actually had an accident and broke two nails one week before playing the Adagio from the Aranjuez Concerto with the Paderewski Symphony Orchestra in Chicago. That led me to experiment and give a try to the flesh technique although I ended up playing the gig with synthetic nails.
After experimenting and comning to the conclusion that it was possible, I ended giving up the nails and couldn't be happier with it.
But if someone wants to do it, I highly encourage to do it with gut strings, not synthetic strings.
Kacper Wierzchos

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:03 pm

Thanks Kacper! Yea I tried no nails with nylgut at first to get the hang of it...and I just put real gut (aquila gut and silk) on a Torres inspired guitar I have last night. I'm excited to try them out once they settle in :)

Are you coming to Minnesota for any concerts?? Hehe

Mercurio2688

Postby Mercurio2688 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:03 am

Well I think that nylgut shares some opacity in the sound with gut, and I can stand it in a lute or a vihuela for example. But it sounds so empty to my ears on the guitar. But it's just an oppinion.
Never been in Minesota but I will love to! I have a concert in Florida next February tho.
Best.
Kacper

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:32 am

Do you have any details of the concert? My wife and I will be staying in Ft. Myers, FL from December to March :)

I'd love to hear your sound live!

Regards,
Tate

Mercurio2688

Postby Mercurio2688 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:49 pm

Thank you for the interest in my concert tateharmann. It is going to take place in Tampa FL, at the Centro Asturiano de Tampa on Feb 21st at 3:00 pm. They have a very beautiful historic theatre and it's quite big so I'm going to play with amplification though.
Since it's still a lot of time untill February, In case there is some change in the date or something I just messaged you my email in case you want to come and email me before.
Best.
Kacper

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:46 pm

Wow. Beautiful. Good luck with that, Kacper.

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:23 am

Hey Kacper, thanks looks awesome!

lucy

Postby lucy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:48 pm

:bravo: Very moving......I can feel Amelia's sadness. :)

:merci:
"Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves". James M. Barrie

Mercurio2688

Postby Mercurio2688 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:35 pm

Thank you lucy. Indeed it's a sad song. It also has that awkward element that is somehow very difficult or near impossible to bring out. Amelia's mom had some fun with Amelia's own husband and the husband is left as testament for her mom.

Return to “Our recordings of Romantic and Modern music”