Llobet, Miguel - El testament d'Amèlia played without nails with silk and gut strings

Audio and video recordings of romantic and modern music (1850-1940, e.g. Albéniz, Barrios, Coste, Mertz, Llobet).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Granados, Enrique - op.37/05 Andaluza - D09 Video
or Ságreras, J. S. - op.19 Maria Luisa - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Ságreras, J. S. - 1/49 Lesson (One digit for lesson-book / two digits for lesson.)
or Anon. - Samba Lele - D03 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
RobMacKillop

Re: Llobet, Miguel - El testament d'Amèlia played without nails with silk and gut strings

Postby RobMacKillop » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:25 pm

Isabelle, I have had gut strings that last well over a year, apart from the first string. My current first string has been on for four months. I get them from Bow Brand, a harp-string maker in England. Recommended. You order them in 12ft lengths, and cut them as you require. They work out as cheap as buying single nylon strings.

Tonyyyyy

Re: Llobet, Miguel - El testament d'Amèlia played without nails with silk and gut strings

Postby Tonyyyyy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:29 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:Isabelle, I have had gut strings that last well over a year, apart from the first string. My current first string has been on for four months. I get them from Bow Brand, a harp-string maker in England. Recommended. You order them in 12ft lengths, and cut them as you require. They work out as cheap as buying single nylon strings.

If I contact them will they understand the needs of a regular 65cm guitar?
And I guess it was just for the 3 treble strings .... or maybe not

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:52 am

They probably don't know what a guitar is ;-)

I order lengths for .66, .80 and 1.00.

Get the unvarnished variety. You email them first, and they send you an order form.

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Postby Isabelle Frizac » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:01 am

RobMacKillop wrote:Isabelle, I have had gut strings that last well over a year, apart from the first string. My current first string has been on for four months. I get them from Bow Brand, a harp-string maker in England. Recommended. You order them in 12ft lengths, and cut them as you require. They work out as cheap as buying single nylon strings.

Merci Rob ! :D
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:45 pm

YES, I will have to try those also :)

You three are all in Europe, though, and I'm across the pond haha. But I imagine it will still be more cost-effective for me than buying single guitar trebles.

Thanks Rob!
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

Tonyyyyy

Postby Tonyyyyy » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:24 am

RobMacKillop wrote:They probably don't know what a guitar is ;-)

I order lengths for .66, .80 and 1.00.

Get the unvarnished variety. You email them first, and they send you an order form.

Thanks Rob,for the helpful info

Tonyyyyy

Postby Tonyyyyy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:01 pm

Arrived today (really fast response from Bow-Brand) and I put a couple of strings on my old Rodriguez. Quite stiff feel, and sweet sounding (still a tone lower than a=440). i will probably keep to a=415.

Surprising to say its my first experience of gut despite luting for a few years

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:02 pm

The stiffness will diminish a little over time. They will manage 415, as that's where I have them. If you eventually decide they are too stiff for your liking, you can order lower gauges. I hope you like them.

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:04 pm

By the way, they are the same gauges as Aquila 900.

Tonyyyyy

Postby Tonyyyyy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:05 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:The stiffness will diminish a little over time. They will manage 415, as that's where I have them. If you eventually decide they are too stiff for your liking, you can order lower gauges. I hope you like them.

Well the stiffness was just putting the strings on . Playing them is nice.

I am very aware that they are different, so my judgement is not accurate. And I am coming from using nails to short nails to no-nails again so I will not be comparing like with like. An interesting test would be to present a blindfolded player with a guitar with xxx strings

What I will say is that the gut sounded beautiful with nails (I think that is how Trepat plays) Now I am in the short nail stage, which is awkward, but also sounds nice. In a day or two I will be brave and return to no-nails. I have been there a few times before , but it it always scary to cut the nails

Mercurio2688

Postby Mercurio2688 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:25 am

Hello Tonyyyyy, indeed it is scary to cut them...
If by any chance you can read Spanish, I recommend you to read 'El Dilema del Sonido en la guitarra" by Pujol. His prose is irresistible.
Best.
Kacper
-Daniel Bernaert 2011 after Torres 1864 "La Suprema". Spruce/Mapple
-Juan Montes 2010. Cedar/Madagascar Rosewood
-Hijos de González ca.1890 Spruce/Walnut ( Sons of Francisco González, Madrid) [SOLD]
-Ramirez 1965 Spruce/Indian Rosewood [SOLD]

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:23 am

There is a pdf in English of some of that book on my Pujol page: http://rmclassicalguitar.com/pujol/

Montgomery

Postby Montgomery » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:52 am

I really really like this. A great sound :bravo:

tateharmann

Postby tateharmann » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:10 pm

I'm working on building a play list on my soundclound account here: https://soundcloud.com/laguitarraclasic ... nido-en-la

It's based upon E. Pujol's "El Dilema del Sonido en la guitarra" that Kacper referenced. I've only got two examples in there right now but I'm working on more. You hear the piece first played with nails (albeit quite short - a la Sagreras) with modern nylon strings tuned to A=440hz followed by the same piece played with no nails and gut strings tuned to A=415hz.

I like both sounds quite a bit..but for what it's worth I've gotten more likes on the first prelude in it's gut/no nails version haha.
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

Tonyyyyy

Postby Tonyyyyy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:31 pm

Mercurio2688 wrote:Hello Tonyyyyy, indeed it is scary to cut them...
If by any chance you can read Spanish, I recommend you to read 'El Dilema del Sonido en la guitarra" by Pujol. ...

Not too scary as I have played with no-nails before 8) It still takes a while to adjust though.

Thanks for the recommendation. I do read Spanish and have downoaded 'El Dilema'. I will enjoy his ideas. I have read the first 2 pages; yes, his prose is certainly beautiful.

Best wishes
Tony

Return to “Our recordings of Romantic and Modern music”