Instructions for titling posts with scores, mp3s or videos

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Instructions for titling posts with scores, mp3s or videos

Postby GeoffB » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:10 am

A standard format for titling topics containing scores, mp3s or videos has been introduced to make it easier to search for musical works on the forum, and members are asked to read the following guidance carefully and use the principles given when titling their own posts.

To make sorting more effective, the standard title layout works on the principle of going from the most important to the less important elements. This allows each opus to be grouped logically together when sorting.

The format of elements is:
Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags
eg.                     Granados, Enrique - op.37/02 Oriental - D08 Duo

In more detail:

1. Composer's name.

Surname (comma) first name or initials (dash)
eg. Bach, J. S. -
or Granados, Enrique -

(Where there is a single forename, it should be given. Where there are more, just give the initials. There should be a space after the comma, between the initials, and before and after the dash, as in the examples)

2. Opus and number.

Opus and number if present, in the format op.xx/xx with leading zeroes for correct sorting,
(hence op.37/02 and not op.37 no.2, nor op.37/2)

(Exceptionally, in the case of Mauro Giuliani, the opus and number should be written as op.xxx/xx)

(Note the lower case "o", and that there is no space between the "op." and the number)

Similarly, where a catalogue number is used, as for Bach's works, it should be padded out with leading zeroes to its maximum length (eg. BWV 0999, BWV 0003).

Note that in the case of the lessons of J. S. Ságreras, the number of the book is given first as a single digit, then an oblique stroke, then the number of the lesson, padded out to 2 digits if necessary.
eg. Ságreras, J. S. - 1/49 Lesson
(representing lesson 49 from book 1 - don't confuse this with an opus number)

3. Title.

Title
eg. Prelude in C minor

4. Tags.

The first tag is always preceded by a dash, with a space before and after it. There are four types of tags

a. Level tag.

As already announced here, the level of a piece should be indicated if possible with a tag from D01 to D12 (preceded by a dash), relating to the levels of the Delcamp score collection. (see the linked topic, which has been updated, for more information). This will allow all pieces of a given level to be found by searching.
- D01
- D02
- D12

(If unsure of the level, you can omit the tag, or check to see whether the piece has been posted before and use the level tag that was used there).

b. Number of instruments tag.

Where a piece is written for 2, 3, 4 or more instruments, this should be indicated by one of the following tags written after the Level tag if it is present:
- Duo,
- Trio,
- Quartetto
- Ensemble.

The tag is preceded by a dash (eg. " - Duo") unless a Level tag is already present, in which case one dash can serve for both (eg. " - D05 Duo").

Note that the tag is not necessary if the word is already part of the title and will be found in a search anyway.

c. Instrument tag.

Where the instrument used is not a classical guitar, and is not otherwise mentioned in the title, it should be indicated with a tag. For instance:
- Lute
- Renaissance guitar
- Ukulele
- 7string guitar
- 10string guitar
As above, in the case of multi-string guitars, be sure not to insert a space or hyphen after the number, as that will make it impossible to find with the forum search engine.

d. Format tag.

In the case of a video, the tag "- Video" is added to the end of the title.

In the case of an OGG file, the tag "- Ogg" is added.

Absence of a format tag indicates that the recording is an MP3.

(The previous tags of [2], etc., have been abandoned as they were not recognised by the forum search tool).

Some examples of the new titles:

Carcassi, Matteo - op.60/03 Etude - D05
Sor, Fernando - op.06/03 Etude, Segovia no.11 - D07
Bach, J. S. - BWV 0999 Prelude in C minor - D07
Granados, Enrique - op.37/02 Oriental - D08 Duo

If there is room left for supplementary information, such as which suite a movement comes from, it may be given after the title. However, we are limited by the forum software to a maximum of 60 characters for titles, including spaces. Any amount of extra information can be given within the text of the post, but the important thing in the title is to give the essentials in a consistent format.

The instructions above apply to posts containing mp3s, videos, and scores. In the case of scores, please add the tag [PDF] or [JPG] at the start of the title as before, e.g. [PDF] Sor, Fernando - op.35/13 Etude - D04

Thank you for your co-operation,

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

cutnstuf

Re: New instructions for titling posts

Postby cutnstuf » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:50 pm

Seems it would be better to fix the search tool...

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:12 pm

We use off-the-shelf software and, as I understand it, punctuation is not searchable. The thing is that the old tags were intended more as a visual indication of the contents of a post in topic listings, whereas now we are putting more emphasis on making use of the search tool.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

mbratch

Postby mbratch » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:03 am

I've never seen good search tools in forum software. Some forums allow you to hook into a Google search engine which helps.

I think a consistent posting naming convention takes getting accustomed to, but I think it will be helpful.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks. Although the system search engine doesn't hook into Google, we recognise that it can be useful sometimes to use Google for searching, as described here. I believe Google allows more use of Boolean search syntax than the forum search engine.

However, the forum's own advanced search will allow you to narrow down your search by subforum, poster, titles only, etc., and is usually all you need.

Standardising topic titles helps not only in searching, but also, and perhaps more importantly, in sorting the forums alphabetically by composer and work (using the menus at the bottom of the page - see illustration here), and in automatically producing catalogues such as this.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Mozart D. Lisboa

Postby Mozart D. Lisboa » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:58 pm

GeoffB wrote:4. Tags.

The first tag is always preceded by a dash. There are two types of tags

a. Level tag.

As already announced here, the level of a piece should be indicated if possible with a tag from D01 to D12 (preceded by a dash), relating to the levels of the Delcamp score collection. (see the linked topic, which has been updated, for more information). This will allow all pieces of a given level to be found by searching.
- D01
- D02
- D12

Note the ready-made search links for the 12 levels at the top of the MP3 forum here.

Hi, GeoffB!

Very interesting and important this new form to organize pieces. Only a doubt: if this piece there is not at Delcamp's books (for example, Let's guess that I want to post a piece of mine), what will I do? Don't post this tag or there is a special form for this case?

Thanks for your attention!

:bye:

Paul

Postby Paul » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi Mozart, (I never thought I'd be able to say that) :)

Mozart D. Lisboa wrote:Very interesting and important this new form to organize pieces. Only a doubt: if this piece there is not at Delcamp's books (for example, Let's guess that I want to post a piece of mine), what will I do? Don't post this tag or there is a special form for this case?

If the piece isn't in the Delcamp collection the tag can be left out.

See Geoff's post above:
GeoffB wrote:a. Level tag.

If you follow the link viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41197#p440714 you will find this paragraph:

GeoffB wrote:Where a piece is not in that collection, the level should be deduced by comparison with other comparable pieces which are. If there is still doubt, you can send a PM to Jean-François Delcamp for guidance (in French only), or simply omit the tag, and it will be spotted and filled in later.

Apologies that everything isn't in one place. :oops:

I hope that helps. :wink:

Regards,

Paul

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:06 pm

Thanks, Paul, I couldn't have answered better myself :wink: .

Thanks, Mozart, for asking.

Best wishes,

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

flameproof

Postby flameproof » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:22 pm

Is it desirable that we add "level" tags to self-compositions?

In the other thread Geoff wrote:Where the piece is from the Delcamp score collection, or is another arrangement of a piece in that collection, please use the level as defined there.

I wonder if that will always be appropriate?
In cyberspace, no-one can hear you scream...
∃x: x∈{things on the internet}: ~x

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:31 pm

You're right, Flamey, I think you'd have to make a judgment that the difficulty level was comparable.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Mozart D. Lisboa

Postby Mozart D. Lisboa » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Thank you, Paul and GeoffB!

:bye:

flameproof

Postby flameproof » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:11 pm

GeoffB wrote:You're right, Flamey, I think you'd have to make a judgment that the difficulty level was comparable.

And my first question? Would you like us to divine the level of any self-compositons we upload?

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:22 pm

Those who feel suitably qualified could do so if they wish. The rest of us can leave it blank.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

flameproof

Postby flameproof » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:00 pm

How should one title a piece from the collections of Tárrega or Llobet? Many of the pieces contained are significantly below the implied technical level of D09+.

Do the collections need another tag? TAR, LLO?

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:14 pm

If the piece doesn't appear in one of the specific collections from D01 to D12, I would say it's probably safer to omit the tag, and M. Delcamp will add what he regards as appropriate when he sees it.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Return to “Forum Help Guides”