Tapatalk Support

choro
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Germany

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby choro » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:58 pm

FHC wrote:This is really going backwards for this forum. I agree with Peter's sentiments.


Yes, nothing more to say.
Ambridge Series 40 Spruce Rosewood

Beatriz Martin

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby Beatriz Martin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:41 am

Thanks Geoff, I am looking at it on my phone now.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5463
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby petermc61 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:09 am

Mods

I am still struggling to come to terms with a Tapatalk-less world on Delcamp. I thought I would flag up what I thought was the single most annoying (to me) functionality absence in case there was something that could be done with the forum using the existing format that might partly replicate some of the Tapatalk benefits.

The best thing about Tapatalk to me was the ease and speed of sorting through unread nessages and with a quick swipe of the finger 'marking read' or entering into a message if appropriate. On the forum currently you have to slavishly click into an unread message, have a look and then back out of it to make it flagged as 'read'. The alternative seems to be to go to the main Board index page and to mark all forums read, which seems a rather broad brush approach. So currently, I think about which messages might interest me from the 'unread posts' page, click into those sequentrially, and then when all the messages that I might have been interested in are actually read I then go back to the main index page and merk everything else as read.

It would be great if it was possible to work through the unread messages on the 'unread messages page' and progressively (one by one, and quickly, as you scroll down the list) choose them as 'marked read'.

As a minumim (please!!) can the 'Mark Forums Read' link be moved from the main Board index page to the unread messages page, or at least replicated there. I have never understood why it was not possible to mare messages read from the very page that gives all the currently unread ssages!

Anyway, I would appreciate knowing if any of these suggestions can be accommodated. It migh make the pain of losing Tapatalk access a little less intense.

Regards
Peter

Jon Griffiths
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:39 pm
Location: Rochdale UK

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby Jon Griffiths » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:10 am

What a shame this is . I follow 4 forums using tapatalk and find the ease of use suits me as I mostly view on my phone when I have a break at work , I feel I will now comment less as will most who use tapatalk so can this forum sort some sort of system where when we are about too get kicked we could get an email telling us ......

Just a thought . Are there any other forum reader apps out there that we can use

User avatar
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator
Posts: 31364
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: UK

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby GeoffB » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:21 am

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the specific example. Never having used TapaTalk myself, it's a feature and method of browsing that I hadn't thought of. Unfortunately I can't see how the "Mark forums read" link could be moved to the unread messages page, because that page is actually just a search result, and the messages on it come from all the forums across the board. And as for marking individual messages read without opening them, if it isn't provided in the off-the-shelf software that we use then it has practically no chance of being introduced, since M. Delcamp isn't a programmer and is not particularly happy to modify the software. All I can do is to ask him now whether he might reconsider supporting TapaTalk, and see what he says.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

User avatar
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator
Posts: 31364
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: UK

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby GeoffB » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:25 am

Jon Griffiths wrote:Just a thought . Are there any other forum reader apps out there that we can use


We've tried at least one other in the past, but it caused crashes or some sort of other problem as I recall. Since the new software seems to be suiting most people, even on mobile devices, I very much doubt that M. Delcamp would want to start experimenting with other apps again.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5463
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby petermc61 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:35 am

GeoffB wrote:Hi Peter,

Thanks for the specific example. Never having used TapaTalk myself, it's a feature and method of browsing that I hadn't thought of. Unfortunately I can't see how the "Mark forums read" link could be moved to the unread messages page, because that page is actually just a search result, and the messages on it come from all the forums across the board. And as for marking individual messages read without opening them, if it isn't provided in the off-the-shelf software that we use then it has practically no chance of being introduced, since M. Delcamp isn't a programmer and is not particularly happy to modify the software. All I can do is to ask him now whether he might reconsider supporting TapaTalk, and see what he says.

Geoff


Thanks Geoff, please let him know that some of used Tapatalk as our primary way of accessing the site. I must agree with other that on a PC the new forum is clearly getter than the last version. However, to those of us who know how easy Tapatalk is to use, it is still not close in ease of use.

Best wishes
Peter

PAustin
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby PAustin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:09 pm

I haven't been on delcamp for days because there's no TapaTalk access. I'm with a lot of the people here in that I use it on my phone here at work. This is really a bummer.

Paul Austin
Paul Austin

2009 Pavan TP-30 Spruce
1980's ? Yamaha G-231 II

User avatar
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator
Posts: 31364
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: UK

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby GeoffB » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:12 pm

Peter, and others who have raised it, I'm very sorry to have to disappoint you.

I approached M. Delcamp again and put forward all the arguments that you have made. He replies that he's sorry, but has definitely decided not to reinstall the TapaTalk module. There are a number of reasons, not all of which I can disclose here, but basically he considers that the new phpBB software is specifically designed to support tablets and phones, and that TapaTalk, while some may well find it a very useful addition for the way they work, is no longer essential in order to use the forum. Given the extra work that maintaining and periodically updating each extra module causes him (multiplied by four across all the Delcamp forums), only essential modules can be considered for adding to the forum software.

There have been encouraging posts from users of tablets and phones who appear to be very happy with the new forum software, so I hope the others among you will get used to it in time, even though this may need a change in your preferred methods of using the forum.

Regards,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5463
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby petermc61 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:52 pm

GeoffB wrote:Peter, and others who have raised it, I'm very sorry to have to disappoint you.

I approached M. Delcamp again and put forward all the arguments that you have made. He replies that he's sorry, but has definitely decided not to reinstall the TapaTalk module. There are a number of reasons, not all of which I can disclose here, but basically he considers that the new phpBB software is specifically designed to support tablets and phones, and that TapaTalk, while some may well find it a very useful addition for the way they work, is no longer essential in order to use the forum. Given the extra work that maintaining and periodically updating each extra module causes him (multiplied by four across all the Delcamp forums), only essential modules can be considered for adding to the forum software.

There have been encouraging posts from users of tablets and phones who appear to be very happy with the new forum software, so I hope the others among you will get used to it in time, even though this may need a change in your preferred methods of using the forum.

Regards,
Geoff


Hi Geoff

Thanks for raising it again. I accept M. Delcamp's response since it is his site and there is obviously additional work involkved in keeping extra modules running.

One thing I would say is that the logic that it is better than the last version and that makes users happy is not the strongest argument - all that tells me is that most users were 'coming off a low base' and never realised how much easier it would have been if they were using Tapatalk. The users who were actually using Tapatalk know how much functionality has been lost.

Thanks for asking on our behalf.

Best wishes
Peter

User avatar
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator
Posts: 31364
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: UK

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby GeoffB » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:39 am

Thanks for your understanding, Peter. I think you hit the nail on the head there, namely that in fact Tapatalk users weren't just asking for the same functionality as other users on this occasion, but for extra functionality compared with the norm for most users, and that was the element that didn't justify the extra workload in M. Delcamp's view.

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

choro
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Germany

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby choro » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:26 am

Hello ,
Maybe a little help for the user of Tapatalk is the
Quick Link button above.

There are some options you are used to in Tapatalk .

Your posts , new posts , unread posts , etc...

By far not that comfortable and structured like Tapatalk ,
but perhaps a little help for people who have not yet discovered the button
Ambridge Series 40 Spruce Rosewood

Jon Griffiths
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:39 pm
Location: Rochdale UK

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby Jon Griffiths » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:41 pm

Thank you again.. Looks like I will have too put a quick link on my phone and sign in every time :(. . As reply too the previous post the main ease of use of tapatalk was the fact I looked at 3 other forums and tapatalk keeps them all and you signed in . Also it showed you wich posts you participated in and if there where any new posts in them. Other than that it did nothing else for me apart from not let you see some videos people post..... So tell mr D keep up the good work :bravo:

User avatar
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator
Posts: 31364
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: UK

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby GeoffB » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:56 pm

Jon Griffiths wrote:Also it showed you wich posts you participated in and if there where any new posts in them.


If I understand you correctly, Jon, the standard forum display should do that anyway by means of the circular icons to the left of each topic (see here). Those containing a small star are the ones you've participated in, and if there are new posts there since you last read them the icon will be red rather than blue. Is that displayed on your device?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

User avatar
James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier
Posts: 6829
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

Re: Tapatalk Support

Postby James Lister » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:13 pm

GeoffB wrote:If I understand you correctly, Jon, the standard forum display should do that anyway by means of the circular icons to the left of each topic (see here). Those containing a small star are the ones you've participated in, and if there are new posts there since you last read them the icon will be red rather than blue. Is that displayed on your device?
Geoff


The circular icons certainly display and work OK on my Android phone, and I think they should on other devices. The only problem I have is that the orange box that takes you to the first post you haven't read in that thread is too small to use on my phone without zooming in a long way.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK


Return to “Forum Help Guides”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests