Buying a new guitar

Utku Demir

Buying a new guitar

Post by Utku Demir » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Hello musicians,
I decided to buy a new or used classical guitar.My budget is maximum 400 dollars . What should I do when buying a guitar and do you have a suggestion about the guitar i will buy?

Number 6

Re: Buying a new guitar

Post by Number 6 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:59 pm

May I suggest looking through the various threads in this section. They contain a wealth of advice. I do not have a clue what $400(US) will buy you in Turkey but I would highly suggest purchasing a used guitar such as Takamine or other available factory model in your locale. good luck!

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:33 pm

I agree with Number6, here in this forum you can already find a lot of useful information for your decision. Do you already have a guitar, and if so, what brand / model is it and why do you want an upgrade?
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Utku Demir

Post by Utku Demir » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:19 pm

Yes i have a guitar that's brand is Barcelona ( $100) . This guitar does not have a good fingerboard and it has laminated body. Sometimes, the guitar's sounds are not accurate . So, i decided to buy a guitar most probably a used one .

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:28 am

As I said there are already many threads with many good answers to your questions in this forum.
The first thing to do is to think about the size of the guitar, the scale length and the nut width. If your hands and fingers don't have average sizes/lengths, then you must clarify first if a guitar with standard sizes fits the best. Then the next question is whether you want to buy a new or used guitar. There is no general answer because both approaches have their (dis)advantages. An inexperienced buyer might get some help and find the right guitar in a local shop, but the shop assistants I have met in guitar shops only know e-guitars and can't really help with classical guitars. Going to a luthier would help but considering your $400 budget this is not an option in your case. Buying a used guitar online always have a risk. I bought almost all my guitars online and used, but I have seen many used guitars that are offered with a description that doesn't match the quality or state of the guitar (about 50%). Always contact a seller and ask for information or additional pictures before you buy a guitar (for example in the bay). Don't take recommendations for models or brands too seriously. If you ask 10 forum members then you get at least 11 different brands and models. Concentrate more on the properties of the guitar, wood types, which parts are solid, quality of the tuners, quality of the frets, string height, etc., and don't buy a guitar only because an "expert" has recommended it.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:49 am

Hi!

I would go for a solid top used guitar in your budget, like an Alhambra 5 or 7 if you can find.

Just be very careful that the guitar is in good shape and the neck is straight. Ideally, have your teacher or someone with experience to check it out first! good luck !
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Utku Demir

Post by Utku Demir » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Thank you for your help and interest with me .I find a admira soledad ec guitar which is almost $300-400 . What do you think about this guitar, any advantages or disadvantages.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:51 pm

If you can get it for less than 400 dollars where you are at, you may as well go for it. They are all solid woods, and are supposed to be made in Spain. Sounds like a bargain. Oh and by the way, they went new for 650 to 700 Euros when they were new.

Arkheospruce

Post by Arkheospruce » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi utku. If you buy a used solid wood guitar it will be a good choice.. Because you know that laminated wood is give pure sound. You can find takamine, yamaha or admira in turkey. Admira soledad is good solid wood guitar for 400$. And georgemarousi is right. Neck straight is very important point for used or old guitars.. Full size cg have good sound more than (thin body) cut away cg. Good luck!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”