Help - I NEED an Alhambra 9P for the price of a 5P!

Gary Macleod

Re: Help - I NEED an Alhambra 9P for the price of a 5P!

Post by Gary Macleod » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:58 am

doralikesmath wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:46 am
tom3949 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:07 am
The issue I have at the moment is physically trying guitars out. Apart from the Alhambras at the Stafford Guitar Centre, there is nowhere close that I can try out Cordobas, Hannikas, Kremonas, La Patrie Guitars etc, although it looks like Forsyths in Manchester stock Ramirez and Burguet.
Forsyths do have a lot of Ramirez and Burguet guitars, with the most expensive one is the Burguet AB double back that goes for £6000. They were really nice to let me try them all. I think it's worth it for you to travel there to just try them out to see what you would like in a guitar.
How did you like the Burguet AB ? Any favourites?

doralikesmath

Post by doralikesmath » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:36 am

I like its sound, warm, loud but clear, and balanced in tone, I would say it sounds like your old Picado mod. 62 but more balanced. Can't compare the loudness though since I tried it in a really big showroom. The strings were a bit old for as the guitar (and other nice guitars) has been displayed along with other cheap guitars on a somewhat dusty stand, so I guess it would even sound nicer with a new set of strings. What is really don't like about the Burguet AB is that its neck is really flat compared to the traditional ones. Just felt really weird.
Raimundo 148 Cedar
L. T. An Guitar C150 Spruce
Takamine G128 Spruce

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:37 pm

doralikesmath wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:46 am

Forsyths do have a lot of Ramirez and Burguet guitars, with the most expensive one is the Burguet AB double back that goes for £6000. They were really nice to let me try them all. I think it's worth it for you to travel there to just try them out to see what you would like in a guitar.
Manchester isn't too far for me so on the next upgrade :D I think I will give Forsyths a visit.

Just a quick update on the progress of the recent acquisition before I pop off on holiday tomorrow. The Joan Cashimira 140 arrived this morning and I absolutely love it. The difference switching between the Cashimira and my 'old' Santos Martinez SM80 is pronounced: playability, tone, feel, smell. The smell! Oh my word. The Cashimira is 18 years old and the smell of the cedar is still unbelievable - totally addictive. Interestingly the SM80 resonates for longer on the low E, and high notes on the 12th fret have more 'chime', but overall the difference in quality is obvious - even to me. The SM80 appears as a dull and lifeless thing after the Cashimira. The action on the Cashimira does seem a little high, but is probably best left as is, as no doubt mucking around with this could inevitably lead to other issues. I really want to say that I won't need to upgrade this guitar for a long time, but I'm already understanding that classical guitar acquisition syndrome is a condition that can easily sneak up on you. it's a slippery slope! :D

doralikesmath

Post by doralikesmath » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Congrats on your new guitar. If you want to mess with the action, there's a cheap trick: get a new saddle and some sand papers, then sand it to the shape of your original one. Keep the original one safe and toy with your new saddle until you are happy with the action. Costs less than £5 :wink:
Raimundo 148 Cedar
L. T. An Guitar C150 Spruce
Takamine G128 Spruce

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:59 pm

doralikesmath wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:39 pm
Congrats on your new guitar. If you want to mess with the action, there's a cheap trick: get a new saddle and some sand papers, then sand it to the shape of your original one. Keep the original one safe and toy with your new saddle until you are happy with the action. Costs less than £5 :wink:
Cheers, will definitely give that a go.

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:04 pm

As I'm currently sunning myself in Spain, I've noticed that, whilst using my wife's i-pad, Google.es (English variant) seems to come up with some different results than google.co.uk. This has resulted in a certain shop in Barcelona coming to my attention, and a certain luthier in that region; Antonio Picado.

Having just acquired a second-hand Joan Cashimira 140 I shouldn't even be thinking about another guitar ...

:D

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:58 pm

tom3949 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:04 pm
As I'm currently sunning myself in Spain, I've noticed that, whilst using my wife's i-pad, Google.es (English variant) seems to come up with some different results than google.co.uk. This has resulted in a certain shop in Barcelona coming to my attention, and a certain luthier in that region; Antonio Picado.

Having just acquired a second-hand Joan Cashimira 140 I shouldn't even be thinking about another guitar ...

:D
Buying a guitar while on vacation makes for a nice memory to cherish! *hint hint* Hahaha..

Regards,
Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:02 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Buying a guitar while on vacation makes for a nice memory to cherish! *hint hint* Hahaha..

Regards,
Martin
The only saving grace; guitar is in Barcelona and I'm in Majorca!

They do sell on-line though ...

... and ship to the UK.

I'd better start saving!

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:08 am

I've now come across the Hernandez Professor! Arghhh!

I think some of my electric guitars and DAM pedals are going to have to go up for sale.

This classical guitar thing can become a bit compulsive. A health warning may be needed.

So should it be Hernandez Professor or a Picado 53 ...

... or do I really 'go for it' with a model 60.

Decisions, decisions ... :D

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:20 pm

tom3949 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:04 pm
You've entered an endless maze! Get out while you still can :D
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:45 pm

Too late!

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:57 pm

Hello Tom! It sounds as if you are going through a middle age crisis (I am a bit younger than you and can understand you perfectly). It happens to have hada Martinez guitar for 17 years and only realised how bad it was after buying a decent guitar Bernabe M5. The point is after playing a good guitar for a perior you appreciate its virtues, the guitar, apart from its outstanding tone, sound and beauty, treats your body (hands and finges) gently. I could never play a flawless barre on the Martinez and the playing was tiring. Apart from the Alhambra guitars you habe been looking for, there are other fine constructors as well (Camps, Juan Hernandez, Antonio Picado) who produce models at your range. I would agree with the other fellow member who pointed out that if you could double the budget you can get fabulous guitars. But the most important thing is not to lose your enthusiasm for the classical guitar, so to come back to the crisis thing, you need to ask yourself why now this sudden love for the instrument. hope you got some help!

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Nikos_Greek wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:57 pm
Hello Tom! It sounds as if you are going through a middle age crisis ...
... you need to ask yourself why now this sudden love for the instrument. hope you got some help!
Hi Nikos, the middle age crisis thing has been going on for about 10 years or so now. Have already bought the Harley's and have got the tattoos!

In fact I have recently bought a brand new Indian Scout, (I was intending to get a new car, but that's another story), and that appears to be playing second fiddle at the moment to a nylon stringed instrument.

Why the sudden love? Well Would you believe I've never tried a classical guitar before, and when I did I got this warm resonating feeling in my stomach. I new something was just right - something I had been missing out on all these years.

I have very quickly got the bug, and I will definitely be keeping the Cashimira I have just purchased off e - b a y but am also going to raise some funds by selling some of my electric guitars to get something else. I am already thinking along the lines of Hernandez and Picado - and I think something like the Picado model 60 will be my upper limit. If / when this acquisition happens l will let you all know.

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:31 am

I still recommend the fundamentals - lessons & practice - over buying more guitars. There will always be guitars that sound better (or when you reach a high enough level, sound different), but if you can't consistently get beautiful sounds from your guitar, you're wasting quite a lot of money buying better and better guitars. And if it's not coming out of spare cash but involves you having to sell your electrics or other gear to fund this endless upgrading, perhaps you really should think twice and practise self-restraint.

tom3949

Post by tom3949 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:09 pm

Sharkbait wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:31 am
I still recommend the fundamentals - lessons & practice - over buying more guitars. There will always be guitars that sound better (or when you reach a high enough level, sound different), but if you can't consistently get beautiful sounds from your guitar, you're wasting quite a lot of money buying better and better guitars. And if it's not coming out of spare cash but involves you having to sell your electrics or other gear to fund this endless upgrading, perhaps you really should think twice and practise self-restraint.
Self restraint?

Not quite sure what that is ... :D

Practice; yes, lessons; probably not. I don't have the time for formal lesson slots and besides I would be a nightmare. Who would want to teach a 53 year chemistry teacher / part time tattooed biker whose musical influences stem from the likes of Lemmy Kilmeister and Ozzy Osbourne? I wouldn't exactly be an ideal student(!) - and if trading my electrics for another classical will make me happy ...

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”