The story of my Antonio Picado model 60 guitar

MessyTendon

Re: The story of my Antonio Picado model 60 guitar

Post by MessyTendon » Tue May 17, 2016 5:35 pm

I love the story. My story isn't nearly as cool as yours. After my grandfather died, I found out he bought life insurance policies for me and my brother. Instead of doing the sensible thing and retaining the policy, I cashed it out for a pittance compared to actual policy. Now the logic was simple, if I am worth more alive than dead, I might as well have a decent guitar for the rest of my life.

So I bought a Vow Winkel 2aF Picado guitar...Not much info exists on this guitar. It's made to high standards from what I can tell, the damn ebony shrunk a bit but that's life. The guitar weighs around 1700 grams...super light.

Basses are big and full, trebles are a bit dry as expected from a flamenco guitar. However I've put it up against many other much more expensive guitars and it holds it's own.

lukejingli

Post by lukejingli » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:48 pm

Jacek,

Thanks for the update. I ordered one cedar top Model 60 a couple of weeks ago after reading your story. I also love the "Spanish" sound.
I am thinking to get a"French" sound spruce top guitar next year. :-)

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:06 pm

@lukejingli: I am always happy to help :) and please, keep us informed on your impression on your Picado guitar when you will receive it, it is good and helpful to have many opinions on the same subject, I guess.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Hello Jacek,

Thank you so much for taking the time to describe your guitar and the wonderful experience that went into acquiring it. And thank you also for those great pictures: They mean a lot to someone like me that will probably never be able to go to Spain much less visit Antonio Picado's shop.

From what I've read on the Delcamp forum, Antonio Picado makes good guitars and they are worth the purchase. I have never read a bad report concerning them. Because of this, a Picado guitar is definitely on my "to buy" list at some point.

I wish you well and am sure that your Spanish Lady is sounding better with each passing day! :wink:

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:57 pm

Hello, Segobreawill,

I am also not able to make longer trips and going to Spain. My story is a story of beautiful chain of people of good will to begin from Jony Mosco, then long correspondence with the Picado workshop via David Picado, then enormous help from side of Maestro Eliseo Fresquet Serret, finally my dear cousin Witold Zakiewicz who, by occasion of his autumn vacations by car in Spain has kindly collected the guitar from the Picado workshop and delivered it to me in Poland when he returned back home after his Spanish vacations. And it is the story of advantages of sensible use of communication via internet.

I am aware of the price differences between your place and Spain. Perhaps you happen to know a fellow Canadian who plans to go to Spain ? Also in the Spanish part of the Delcamp forum there are sometime offered for sale the Antonio Picado guitars.

Yes my Picado guitar still improves with time. It is not the best imaginable or existing on earth a guitar but it is a very good Spanish guitar hand made by skilful luthier (in my case - Angel Genis) from all solid, well seasoned high quality wood.

With my best thoughts and wishes

Jacek

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:18 pm

Hello Jacek,

Yes, it is indeed a wonderful entourage that has assisted you in acquiring your Picado M60. I did read about Jony Mosco's help in letting others know about the wonderful work at the Picado shop - but alas in mention only, I did not read the actual thread because it seems to no longer be available, I think?

Oh yes, the price differences are way too crazy, my friend. The exchange rates are absolute killers and then there is the customs duty fees to be paid after it arrives - well, a real headache in every sense of the term! But, I'm putting a list together for now, not buying just yet. And in this regard, the Delcamp has been my no.1 source of info. For the past few years since I started playing, I stumbled onto this site and I've kept coming back learning slowly what guitars I would like to have. Again, testimonies such as yours are priceless to someone such as myself that does not travel abroad. At this point, I don't even have experienced friends to tell me what is good and what is bad in choosing a guitar, so I try to gather what I can on Delcamp. Its a wonderful place - but very big haha!

Gene

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:35 am

Hello, Gene

It is a pity from pure cognitive point of view that Jony Mosco decided to have his beautiful story removed. I have been writing on this in one of my previous posts in this thread, as historian of art I am aware that what is today a simple post in internet, tomorrow may be a valuable source. Imagine, please, how valuable would be for us today the surviving description with illustrations of visit to workshop of Antonio de Torres...

If it is not bad manners - maybe we should petition Jony to reconsider...

I understand how it is not to have experienced friends in neighbourhood...here the Delcamp also as a plateau for meeting Fine Persons and making friends who are of help is of invaluable importance.

As always

Jacek

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:35 pm

That's a wonderful vision you have there, Jacek!

Yes, it would be an invaluable source to look at if we could have it at hand - to see how old time luthiers crafted their instruments. While on that particular note, I must confess that I am very pleased to see how many fine luthiers are generously sharing their views and also their methods of construction on their websites - with photos too! This surely is in keeping with what you are saying as it will undoubtedly be a wealth of resource to luthiers in the far future.

I just hope that there will be enough high quality woods left in the world at that point and that our beloved instrument will not be entirely made up of synthetic materials. :cry:

smok53

Post by smok53 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:42 pm

Dear Jacek,

Congratulations.
This is really great and fascinating story, and what is also important, with a well-deserved happy ending.

Thank you !

Tomasz

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:37 am

Dear Tomasz:

Thanks a lot for your kind words. True is, that my (as it is now) Kenny Hill Madrid enjoys worthy company of the Antonio Picado guitar that I am telling here about.

With my best

Jacek

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:53 am

Very nice pictures and that beautiful Antonio Picado guitar! I must sound amazing! Thanks for the pictures.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:40 am

spanishguitarmusic wrote:Very nice pictures and that beautiful Antonio Picado guitar! I must sound amazing! Thanks for the pictures.
Have a listen to mine, similar model.

https://youtu.be/xw2bc-Ueomo

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:19 am

Gary Macleod wrote:
spanishguitarmusic wrote:Very nice pictures and that beautiful Antonio Picado guitar! I must sound amazing! Thanks for the pictures.
Have a listen to mine, similar model.

https://youtu.be/xw2bc-Ueomo
Wow, very nice guitar Gary and it sounds so good! :merci:

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Yeah it's a great guitar for the price, have had a few close calls with potential buyers but not closed a sale as yet.

corius

Post by corius » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Following a very helpful discussion with Garry I've purchased his Picado 62 today.

I'm really looking forward to receiving it and kickstarting my long term love for Classical Guitar. I had anticipated purchasing a better known make from a UK store, but I'm very excited to be getting what looks like a beautiful instrument from a well regarded, smaller shop.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”