Great! Surely you will love it.
I still waiting mine since last Sept!
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
Yamaha G225

Thuy Tran

Re: The story of my Antonio Picado model 60 guitar

Post by Thuy Tran » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Hello Jacek,
I've recently joined the forum . I 'm very interested in your post two years ago about the purchase of the Antonio Picado model 60 as actually I'm considering buying a luthier guitar . I hv seen on AP web , they have model 60 , model 62 and model C1 (concierto ) . Do you have experience and knowledge about these models and what made you chose model 60 and not 62 or C1 ?
Thank You ,
Thuy Tran

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Hello Thuy,

At first: some people think that the Antonio Picado guitars rather fall into category of manufacture guitars as they are constructed in a workshop where work more then one person. We see them on the Antonio Picado Web site. The top models are constructed by Angel Genis or Carlos Pratt; at least it was so, when I was in search for a guitar for myself.
The reason that I went for model 60 not the 62 or Concierto is NOT of the economic nature/price of the instrument - model 60 is Picado highest model built from Indian Rosewood. And I prefer my guitars to be made of Indian Rosewood - not the Brazilian one - not because of economic reasons but because of fact that IRW is not as prone to breaking as the Brazilian Rosewood.
And we know many first class guitars made of IRW. Getting back to Picado: one of my Dear Friends has two Picado guitars: model 60 and C1 (Concierto). And I made my choice following His friendly and most competent advice.

I am ready to answer any other questions
Best regards

Jacek
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

doralikesmath

Post by doralikesmath » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Thuy Tran wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:32 pm
Hello Jacek,
I've recently joined the forum . I 'm very interested in your post two years ago about the purchase of the Antonio Picado model 60 as actually I'm considering buying a luthier guitar . I hv seen on AP web , they have model 60 , model 62 and model C1 (concierto ) . Do you have experience and knowledge about these models and what made you chose model 60 and not 62 or C1 ?
Thank You ,
Thuy Tran
Before you order anything, make sure to check out the options available in Vietnam. I've tried the 62 with double back and while it sounded nice, it was not that much better than my Raimundo. Also if you want to get an AP then go for the 60. I got some conversation with David Picado, Antonio's son and he told me, in his own words, "In general, the higher the model the 'better' but, I would say, no big difference between Mod. 60, 62 and C1 should be expected." That being said, my next guitar will be an AP. I really like their business model and honesty.
Raimundo 148 Cedar
L. T. An Guitar C150 Spruce
Takamine G128 Spruce

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:23 pm

- what @doralikesmath says. It is in another words what I was trying to say.

Thuy Tran

Post by Thuy Tran » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:35 pm

Thank you doralikesmath ,
There are two options for the mod 60 : with cedar top or with spruce , is there somewhere a sound demo of the 60 spruce ?
I hv seen maestro Eliseo playing mod 60 cedar but could not find any demo of the spruce top

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:19 pm

doralikesmath wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:21 pm
Before you order anything, make sure to check out the options available in Vietnam. I've tried the 62 with double back and while it sounded nice, it was not that much better than my Raimundo...

I beg to disagree,i think there is a missing factor "time".
I have had a Raimundo 148 at the same time as a 62, and the 62 was way better sounding (a bigger sound, more mass and more trebles). The point is the break in, the Raimundo was several years old(second hand well used,got it on a swap) while the 62 was 1 year old (already broke in)...

IMHO the Picado guys build for a good "mature" sound(after break in), many times new guitars sound quite tight (I had 4 from that workshop :mrgreen:).

So the sound of a new guitar may be tight or trebly, but it "may" bloom after playing it a several month, depends on the builder...
(ie. My Picado concert double back ,initially it sounded really tight/trebly, the bass is coming after several months of being played a lot :chaud:, Angel was saying that it seems to be normal on Double backs, being more tight sounding when new...)

PS I ended up selling the 148, it was a good for the price, but the 62 got way more playing time...

doralikesmath

Post by doralikesmath » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:57 am

This is precisely why I chose the Raimundo 148 instead. The Picado 62 bass was too much for me when I tried it while the Raimundo sounds a bit more balanced. It suits my taste better. The 2 guitars are very well made and you can't go wrong with any of them. Both of the guitars I tried already broke in, to be clear. The 148 was a bit newer, actually. But I do agree that the Picado 62 I tried was much louder.
Raimundo 148 Cedar
L. T. An Guitar C150 Spruce
Takamine G128 Spruce

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:13 pm

doralikesmath wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:57 am
This is precisely why I chose the Raimundo 148 instead. The Picado 62 bass was too much for me when I tried it while the Raimundo sounds a bit more balanced. It suits my taste better. The 2 guitars are very well made and you can't go wrong with any of them. Both of the guitars I tried already broke in, to be clear. The 148 was a bit newer, actually. But I do agree that the Picado 62 I tried was much louder.

One is Madrid guitar, the other a Valencia thinner body, so they have different tones.

If the bass volume overpowers the trebles, the solution could carbon strings, still it depends on the guitar.My 62 was very good balanced after the break in it sounded incredible with just plainly normal ej45s... (with savarez carbons it sounded also pretty good but my hands are not strong enough these days...)

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:40 pm

Just out of curiosity: which of the discussed guitars is "Madrid guitar" ? is it the Picado ? well, Don Antonio has been working years ago for Taurus in Barcelona building estudio models for Jose Ramirez, but I sincerely do not know if the Picado guitars fall into the category of Madrid school. As we know the Picado luthierie is situated in Berga, area of Barcelona. I am really interested in your, Mr. Rain, opinion.

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:40 pm
Just out of curiosity: which of the discussed guitars is "Madrid guitar" ? is it the Picado ? well, Don Antonio has been working years ago for Taurus in Barcelona building estudio models for Jose Ramirez, but I sincerely do not know if the Picado guitars fall into the category of Madrid school. As we know the Picado luthierie is situated in Berga, area of Barcelona. I am really interested in your, Mr. Rain, opinion.
My 62 was definitively a Madrid guitar( big sound predominant bass, not a Torres guitar ), with a slightly taller box (100 to 110 vs the 95 to 100 in the raimundo), the fan layout was the same as Fleta typical one. AFAIK Picado was influenced by builders like Fleta and Ramirez, there was no "catalonian" guitar school, so they picked up a bit from here and there...

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:38 pm

I stay with hope that somebody more knowledgeable then myself will express an opinion on this interesting matter. At pages of Zavaleta's in the historic part there is a phrase "Barcelona School"
https://www.zavaletas-guitarras.com/his ... l-bautista

I can also see differences in sound and in construction (bracing patterns) between Jose Ramirez and Ignacio Fleta. But yes, both are great luthiers and their guitars are great.

Leendavid89

Post by Leendavid89 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Sounds like you did a lot of bonding with the process of buying a guitar. In Philadelphia, where I bought an AP 53, we are not nearly so romantic. I went into the shop played an AP 60, AP 54, and AP53. After about an hour going between the 3 I plopped my cash down on the 53. All 3 were in spruce. The 60 did have a little extra resonance, but to be honest not a grand' worth of resonance. The 54 sounded great but was used (six years). I wanted to break a new guitar in myself. The 53 had just arrived in the country and I literally watched the owner take it out of the air mail box. It needs a lot of playing, but these guitars are really hard to beat for the price. I plan on playing the heck out of it for the rest of my life, or until my fingers fall off. At 48 yrs old this is the last guitar I am buying. What? I hear laughing. No, seriously this is all I ever need.

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Leendavid89 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:14 pm
... At 48 yrs old this is the last guitar I am buying. What? I hear laughing. No, seriously this is all I ever need.
No not laughing ... just smiling! :wink:

We'll see and meanwhile keep enjoying your AP 53! :D

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:25 pm

Jacek, very nice story of your AP 60! Eliseo's youtube video of his AP 60 sounds beautiful.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”