What size instrument is appropriate for a 4/5 year old?

Joe de V

Re: What size instrument is appropriate for a 4/5 year old?

Post by Joe de V » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:28 pm

I just bought a good low cost 6 strings Baritone Ukulele with D'Addario nylon strings and tuned exactly like a full size classical guitar :E-B-G-D-A-E
I play the Baritone All Solid Wood Ukulele with a local Ukulele Ensemble Group and have been using it as my 4 strings Baritone. This new 6 strings instrument (LUNA Label) produces a very good sound and having the two extra strings - A and Low E - the sound is fuller and mellower.
The Yamaha Ukulele is very popular but is fitted with strings not tuned like a guitar - A-D-G-C-E-A - similar as placing a capo at the 5th fret of a standard guitar. If your child wants to be introduced to the guitar I believe that the Luna instrument may be a better option.
Amazon sells them and you can read the reviews from recent buyers/players.
The overall size is 30 inches - similar to a 1/4 size guitar and a standard size Baritone Ukulele but the Nut width is a slight wider to accommodate fingering for easier playing. It comes with a canvass material bag. Good Luck

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:01 pm

I would like to recommend Córdoba or Picado for your child. About the guitar's size, you have to bring your child to guitar store/shop to have a look and try...or have an experienced guitar teacher first. S/he will give you better suggestion based on your child's hand size...to keep your child's interest to learn guitar, first nice sound, second easy to play...that means always use smaller guitar.
Otto Vowinkel Concert
German V. Rubio Concert

Joe de V

Post by Joe de V » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:39 pm

Hand size and finger dexterity is more important than Age for every player, child or adult. I spent a few dollars buying CG's (plural) until I found one that felt comfortable in playing. I then discover this fact... I hear from a concert CG player at a lecture for new CG students which holds true. It goes like this...When buying a guitar for the first time is like buying a new pair of shoes. "Not One Size Fits All". What make work for one child age 4/5 may not work for every child of similar age.
The scale length - the measure of the strings from the Nut/Neck to the saddle - the white piece inserted into the bridge of the instrument is very important in the selection. Why? the shorter the distance the closer the frets are to each other making it easier for a player with small hands/ short fingers to play more comfortable.
Another old saying that DOES NOT Apply when learning to play a guitar, (or any musical instrument) is... "No Pain No Gain".
I know and have been told by CG tutors that for new students one reason for giving Up the guitar is having chosen the wrong "fit" for scale length.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”