86 Hauser III on the UK bay

Pat Dodson

86 Hauser III on the UK bay

Post by Pat Dodson » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:37 pm

Not hard to find. Rank by price and go to top.

Edit. Apologies; I intended to post within Advice on Buying, Selling or Valuing.

Could a mod move this there please. Thank you.

pogmoor

Re: 86 Hauser III on the UK bay

Post by pogmoor » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:55 pm

Moved - but who would buy a guitar of that quality off the bay?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:08 pm

pogmoor wrote:Moved - but who would buy a guitar of that quality off the bay?
Thank you @pogmoor. That's a very good question. I think that sometimes sellers advertise elsewhere too (sometimes at a lower price) but find a bay placement brings much more exposure.

Interesting to see what happens.

Again, thank you.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:30 pm

It is, indeed, a beautiful guitar. I prefer East Indian Rosewood, though (Brazilian is more prone to cracking, and I live in a very dry climate), and so I won't be bidding on it. It's all yours, Pat!

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:41 pm

I thought short and soft about that one. Anyway you probably found it first, Pat.

I think it's too shiny for me. It'll look good with your brown couch :)
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Nice guitar.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:02 am

pogmoor wrote:Moved - but who would buy a guitar of that quality off the bay?
You would be surprised who lurks below the surface on the bay. I know more than a few name guitarists/lutenists who, coaxed with enough libations of the tongue loosening type, will admit to frequenting the site and to purchasing instruments from it...high priced ones too. And chances are anyone who can afford the price of this Hauser can afford to go or arrange to have a look at it if seriously interested.

Also some makers and dealers put stuff on at inflated prices for the cheap or free advertising rather than actually expecting to sell the instrument.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Marco.Silva

Post by Marco.Silva » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:44 am

I've been buying and selling on e - b a y for a few years now. I've been fortunate to see very high quality guitars for sale: Kohno 50 and special, Sakurai, Nakade, Ruck, Brune, Ramirez I, II, and III, Friederich, Hauser Vienna, Humphrey, and many other top luthiers.

e - b a y it's not a cheap advertising if you sell over there. It costs about 15% to sell a guitar on e - b a y, and I find it a better experience if you're looking for a specific brand than inflated pricing on retail stores.
Regards,
Marco
1967 & 1978 Di Giorgio Autor 3 Solid Spruce & Jacaranda
1946 Del Vecchio Super Vox II -Luthier Angelo Del Vecchio

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:00 am

'Twas tempting.....

RichardUno

Post by RichardUno » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:17 pm

Why would anyone hoping to get that much money for a guitar not spend a few bucks on decent photography? There's a link on the page to a YT video of this guitar being played along with five other guitars by Tavi Jinariu: http://youtu.be/9txAuSil2G8 . What do you think of the guitars in this comparison video?

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:34 am

If that is the Hauser for sale in that video, I think its a very nice sounding guitar. All of those guitars, except the Stenzel that I didn't care for, sounded amazing. I think the two Hausers were the best sounding of the bunch though.

I think my dream guitar sound is the Hauser I from 1924 that Marcin Dylla is playing on the tube if you search for "Marcin Dylla Standchen". Such an old world sound with such an amazing warmth. If I could get a guitar that sounds like that, I will never buy another guitar in my life. Of course, the fact that he is a world class player helps the guitar some! hahaha... In my hands maybe it would sound no better than my other guitars.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:25 am

1924 must have been one of Hauser's very early forays into the Spanish model. You can still see some of the north European tradition in the use of the zero fret. I like the rosette, it's of a type that sometimes featured on early Valencia makers guitars.
I think I can hear something of the larger Stauffer type models in it's treble sound. It would be interesting to know it's bracing type and soundboard thickness.
Historicalguitars.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:20 am

Michael

Hermann Hauser III described it as one of the very first "Segovia" models ever made by his grandfather. Well before Segovia owned one interestingly, so I assume that name is given in retrospect.

I also hear a little bit of boxiness to the mids and bit of Stauffer sound to the upper mids. In reality, it was probably a guitar in transition from the German/Vienese models to the later Spanish models.

Regards
Peter

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:53 am

My guess (and it is a guess) is that it's fan braced but with a thickish soundboard.
Historicalguitars.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:28 pm

pogmoor wrote:...who would buy a guitar of that quality off the bay?
I've purchased three guitars off the bay in the $4K to $10K range, all top tier luthiers. I got "burned" on the most expensive one, the other two were gems. The expensive one was a 30 year old guitar in beautiful condition, but what a dud, sound-wise! Drilled home the importance of a return policy (this one had none).

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”