86 Hauser III on the UK bay

Guitar-ded

Re: 86 Hauser III on the UK bay

Post by Guitar-ded » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:19 pm

riffmeister wrote:... I got "burned" on the most expensive one...
Ain't that always the way.

:chaud:
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Kent

Post by Kent » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:07 pm

riffmeister wrote:
pogmoor wrote:...who would buy a guitar of that quality off the bay?
I've purchased three guitars off the bay in the $4K to $10K range, all top tier luthiers. I got "burned" on the most expensive one, the other two were gems. The expensive one was a 30 year old guitar in beautiful condition, but what a dud, sound-wise! Drilled home the importance of a return policy (this one had none).
Many years ago ( starting in 2007? ), when the recession hit, I remember many beautiful guitars selling on e - b a y for much less than you would expect. In fact, there was a few Manuel Velaquez guitars that appeared during that time that sat there for 5 or 6 thousand. They were in really nice condition. Now I know who scarfed them up!

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:37 pm

Kent wrote:
riffmeister wrote:
pogmoor wrote:...who would buy a guitar of that quality off the bay?
I've purchased three guitars off the bay in the $4K to $10K range, all top tier luthiers. I got "burned" on the most expensive one, the other two were gems. The expensive one was a 30 year old guitar in beautiful condition, but what a dud, sound-wise! Drilled home the importance of a return policy (this one had none).
Many years ago ( starting in 2007? ), when the recession hit, I remember many beautiful guitars selling on e - b a y for much less than you would expect. In fact, there was a few Manuel Velaquez guitars that appeared during that time that sat there for 5 or 6 thousand. They were in really nice condition. Now I know who scarfed them up!
One of the e-b-a-y guitars I mentioned above was in fact a Velazquez. It was offered at a very good "bargain price", and as well turned out to a really nice instrument. One of the unusual things about that guitar was that it was advertised as having a spruce top, when in fact it turned out to have a cedar top!

Archibal

Post by Archibal » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:34 am

Regarding worries buying on the Bay. I have bought couple of guitars on the bay, without problems; last one in the £3k area. My experience is to get a personal contact before purchasing/paying. Just to get a “feeling” of the seller. I have also agreed on decent return condition AND paying conditions: half before delivery and the rest after a try. So go for it - in general I do believe you can get an inexpensive deal on the e - b a y, just make sure you get the conditions and the product/guitar you wish.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:52 pm

Archibal wrote:I have also agreed on decent return condition AND paying conditions: half before delivery and the rest after a try.
Impressed you managed that.

If I have a guitar on the 'Bay, then I'm more than happy for someone to come and try it before bidding but there's no way at all I would agree to shipping it somewhere in exchange for only 50% of the sale price upfront, and also agree to take it back. The bottom line on used goods on e - b a y is that the sale price is final unless the goods are "defective".

My experience buying guitars from private sellers on the 'Bay has been mixed. I have had guitars described as "mint" that arrived with huge neck pocket cracks and split headstocks. Thesedays, I much prefer to travel to see the guitar in advance of bidding (or a deal off the Bay). Or get lots of detailed photos.

japanish

Post by japanish » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:49 pm

pogmoor wrote:Moved - but who would buy a guitar of that quality off the bay?
Some of us have little choice due to where we live. For me its the best place to buy and sell, you just have to be careful and really buy from trusted sellers. This goes for every thing from watches to guitars cars and more. I have my Sakurai listed on the bay now and someone is going to get a gem of a guitar for less than they would in a consignment shop. It can be a great place to find things from all over the world.

Cheers

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:24 pm

riffmeister wrote: One of the unusual things about that guitar was that it was advertised as having a spruce top, when in fact it turned out to have a cedar top!
That's e - b a y for you.

I bought a couple of 12" and 14" rototoms off the Bay last year. When they turned up they had shrunk to 10" and 12" respectively.

Tavi Jinariu

Post by Tavi Jinariu » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:41 am

Oh man, I remember this guitar. It was the best guitar I played last year. Sustain for days and a so, so responsive. I have played many Hauser guitars over the last few years (some of them very rare and collectible) but nothing sounded as good as this one. This will be remembered as "the one that got away".
Life is too short to play music you don't really like!

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:36 am

Tavi Jinariu wrote:Oh man, I remember this guitar. It was the best guitar I played last year. Sustain for days and a so, so responsive. I have played many Hauser guitars over the last few years (some of them very rare and collectible) but nothing sounded as good as this one. This will be remembered as "the one that got away".
...and I wish you'd keep your opinions to yourself Tavi. If you hadn't said exactly this on your Facebook page then my bank balance would be in better fettle! ;)

I wan't the slightest bit interested in a new guitar, let alone a Hauser, but when someone of your experience and capabilities says that about a guitar, then it definitely warrants further investigation. And thanks +++ for your sage advice regarding it.

Nothing would please me more than to stick it back in your hands when you visit the UK. You can do it justice!
Last edited by UKsteve on Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:50 pm

Congratulations @uksteve! Great to hear the guitar has found a good home.

Tavi Jinariu

Post by Tavi Jinariu » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:39 am

Hi Steve,
I would love to come and play a whole concert with it. The guitar can do everything: Baroque, spanish, romantic, you name it. A superb instrument indeed. If you ever want to thin out the herd, let me know. Cheers!
P.S. I don't think I have ever identified so closely with an instrument at first sight as I have with that guitar. My 1968 Ramirez MT was also an instant connection but it took me a little while to learn how to approach my Ramirez.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:10 pm

Tavi Jinariu wrote:The guitar can do everything
Not when I play it :oops:

Tavi Jinariu

Post by Tavi Jinariu » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:02 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:55 pm
Moved - but who would buy a guitar of that quality off the bay?
I would buy one, if this is the same 1986 Hauser on the GSI video. Fantastic guitar!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”