In Search of Maple

irfan

Re: In Search of Maple

Post by irfan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:54 am

Hi, i recall thats my student own a Manuel Rodriguez factory guitar, something like model Maple, i guess is laminated maple bacl and side.
The first time i tried, is not impress at all. But one month later, the sound start open up, do have a little bit of maple tone...... but, is not the same type that i tried from Simon Cambridge torres copy ....
But this Rodriguez is only cost around Singapore dollar sgd1100 around.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:04 pm

CathyCate wrote:While we are taking a break from this thread to dream, please add me to the Braun lust list.
Drool drool Sigh :P
Well you could always go to Tobias's guitar making class in August and make your own. :-)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=99818

apark1980

Post by apark1980 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:32 am

irfan wrote:Hi, i recall thats my student own a Manuel Rodriguez factory guitar, something like model Maple, i guess is laminated maple bacl and side.
The first time i tried, is not impress at all. But one month later, the sound start open up, do have a little bit of maple tone...... but, is not the same type that i tried from Simon Cambridge torres copy ....
I saw one like this on the Ivor Mairants website - Model D Maple Gloss - seems to be special order only though. Does anyone know if MR guitars are made in Spain?

DanielIndo

Post by DanielIndo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:04 am

apark1980 wrote:
irfan wrote:Hi, i recall thats my student own a Manuel Rodriguez factory guitar, something like model Maple, i guess is laminated maple bacl and side.
I saw one like this on the Ivor Mairants website - Model D Maple Gloss - seems to be special order only though. Does anyone know if MR guitars are made in Spain?
I have heard that some entry or student guitars are manufactured in China, Alhambra entry guitars also MIC but they did not write MIC on the labels such as Fender, Ibanez, Tanglewood etc did. However, they are still excellent guitars in their price range. I ever own a MR C1.
2005 Jose Ramirez 1a Sakurai Kohno Special 2015
2005 Amalio Burguet 1F
2001 Juan Hernandez Maestro
2009 Loriente Angela
2011 Yamaha GC41
2015 Yamaha NCX2000FM

irfan

Post by irfan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:09 am

apark1980 wrote:
Base on my personal experience, it does not matter where they made the guitar. Certain china manufacturer is much better than many other etc: cordoba. Not to mention other pro luthier from china, etc:Hanson Yao, Guo Yi Long...

About MR guitar, i have very mix feeling, some of my student using this brand lowest model that i feel is little bit better than Alhambra(with same type of sound, for cedar model is same loud, for spruce model is much softer) but, one of my guitarist friend who bought over the MR second top model, spending malaysia Rm 15 k, is one of the worst guitar that i had tried(base one tone, resonance , separation), basically he bought it because he fall in love with the Brazilian rosewood back and side.

Matt Molloy

Post by Matt Molloy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Brusko wrote:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101148

Check that link out, that's as close as you can get to your mentioned price. That's a lot of guitar for the money.
Thanks for the mention Brusko, much appreciated. :merci:

To the OP.

Feel free to get in touch about it if you find you're closer to the price and it's still here.

Cheers,

Matt.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morcambe

Proud member of the LGCI.

Guitar: James Lister 2009 SP/MP.

apark1980

Post by apark1980 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:53 am

I saw one like this on the Ivor Mairants website - Model D Maple Gloss - seems to be special order only though. Does anyone know if MR guitars are made in Spain?[/quote]

Base on my personal experience, it does not matter where they made the guitar. Certain china manufacturer is much better than many other etc: cordoba. Not to mention other pro luthier from china, etc:Hanson Yao, Guo Yi Long...

About MR guitar, i have very mix feeling, some of my student using this brand lowest model that i feel is little bit better than Alhambra(with same type of sound, for cedar model is same loud, for spruce model is much softer) but, one of my guitarist friend who bought over the MR second top model, spending malaysia Rm 15 k, is one of the worst guitar that i had tried(base one tone, resonance , separation), basically he bought it because he fall in love with the Brazilian rosewood back and side.[/quote]

It's a bit annoying that there's not transparency all the time with these sort of thing. You should really know the provenance ofwhat it is you're buying. I have nothing against guitars made in China - on the contrary, I own an Eastman Parlour Guitar (Adirondack Spruce/IR) that was made in China, which I think is fantastic, but the point is I made the purchase decision knowing that, having played it. But to not state this feels a bit like sleight of hand on the part of the manufacturer.

apark1980

Post by apark1980 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:55 am

Matt Molloy wrote:

Check that link out, that's as close as you can get to your mentioned price. That's a lot of guitar for the money.

To the OP.

Feel free to get in touch about it if you find you're closer to the price and it's still here.

Cheers,

Matt.
Thanks Matt, i'll definitely keep it in mind in case the finances take an upturn, it certainly looks great

Brusko

Post by Brusko » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:12 am

Matt Molloy wrote:

To the OP.

Cheers,

Matt.
Truth be told, I want your guitar for myself. :mrgreen: But I have an Arias/Simplicio homage maple on the way with Jason Wolverton.
Jason Wolverton - "El Dragón de Oro" (Spruce/Maple)

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:44 pm

I have a maple underway but not ETA just yet as the day job is getting in the way but hopefully before the end of the summer. Some pictures here. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=100598&hilit=maple ... 5#p1079938 If it turns out well I will be trying to sell it. My previous maple turned out quite OK so I am hopeful that this will be good - but I will have to wait and see.

Thd5919

Post by Thd5919 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:26 pm

Carles Trepat tried a new Jean Noel Rohe Maple and Spruce top in Paris. He was very enthusiastic about that guitar.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:32 pm

Hanika seem to have two new maple models this year - the 50AF and 52AF. I am pretty sure that it is very plain maple and the "flames" are put in by skillful varnishing probably learned from violin makers. No idea what they sound like. Better than the op's current guitar but probably better off wait until he can afford something a bit better. No doubt good enough entry level guitars but unlikely to be spectacular.

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:22 am

I was just about to post about hanika as well I agree w you Bill has those two maple models the first one is a matte finish I believe and the second one is a beautiful flamed and he said that they are very bright clear and contemporary sounding when I talked to him the other time. Very different from your trad Spanish guitar

Yamaha GL1

DanielIndo

Post by DanielIndo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:43 am

I have two Maple guitars, Angela and Yamaha NCX2000. They all have sweet sound with long sustain, I think low tension strings will be better to prevent long sustain basses. Maybe other maple owners have any suggestion about the ideal strings for maple guitars.
2005 Jose Ramirez 1a Sakurai Kohno Special 2015
2005 Amalio Burguet 1F
2001 Juan Hernandez Maestro
2009 Loriente Angela
2011 Yamaha GC41
2015 Yamaha NCX2000FM

apark1980

Post by apark1980 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:07 am

I like the look of the loriente, yet to find a uk dealer for them though. Sound great in the online videos I've seen (though this may be due to the player!)

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”