Yamaha SLG200N

Bobbio84

Yamaha SLG200N

Post by Bobbio84 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:11 pm

I'm saving up for a new guitar (yay!) and want something different from what I already have which is an Alhambra 3c. It's been a loyal friend to me for years, but now I need something that suits my current endeavours. Essentially I want something that has a pickup and can give a good quick live sound. Because of my classical training though I want it to 'feel' like a classical. So here are my two questions about the new Yamaha SLG200N...

1) How does it sound live? Obviously as a classical player I'm looking for 'purity' (I.e. Sounding as close to a real acoustic as possible), but it won't be a deal breaker if it's tone is a little off. Does it still have the same range of sensitivity that a good acoustic can give? Will you here the louds/softs and all other expressive qualities just as clearly? All this within the context of live performance (and maybe the odd studio session here and there).

2) How does it feel? My fingers are adjusted to the standard classical guitar dimensions. I know Yamaha's site says it's 50 rather than 52 mm, which I think I could live with, but what about the action? It seems low. Could this be adjusted to specification? Is the fretboard flat? Also, what's your overall opinion about how it feels?

I admit part of what is enticing me to buy this one is the late night practice idea (I have three young children and a wife that likes her sleep) but I need to stay focused on my goal... get something that sounds good live. If this doesn't pan out I might settle for a Córdoba or maybe even a higher end Alhambra (9p or something) which means I'll have to save a little longer.
Alhambra 3C (nylon)
Yamaha SLG200N (nylon-electric)
Washburn D42SCE (steel)
Fender Piha'eu (ukulele)

SeanWinkler

Re: Yamaha SLG200N

Post by SeanWinkler » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:36 pm

I don't have direct experience with the 200N, but I have owned a 100N and more recently the 130NW (52mm nut). I believe they have better electronics in the new 200 series, so my comments on sound should be taken with that in mind. As with any piezo pickup, the sound is not what you would get out of an unamplified guitar. I was able to get a decent sound by running the output through a Fishman Aura pedal. My problem was that even with a somewhat realistic amplified sound, you lose the "feel" of a real guitar body resonating in your arms. This is especially true in the basses. So for me, there is a disconnect between what I hear out of the amp and what I feel/hear close to me. In the end, I just couldn't get past that disconnect, and I no longer own a silent guitar. FWIW, I've also tried the Soloette and Miranda, with similar results (sold).

The feel of the Yamaha, specifically left/right hand, is fine. Again, for me it was the lack of a physically full body that was the problem. The frame mimics the dimensions at the contact points, so you get that much from it, but that's all. I think what I've realized over the years is that the thing that appeals most to me about the classical guitar, namely the lovely tone of vibrating wood, is just missing in these practice/silent guitars. If you're concerned about late night practice, you could always rig up a DIY isolation booth from pretty cheap materials. I've seen a number of designs online that appear easy to break down and set up, and would cost less than something like the Yamaha.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

DanielIndo

Post by DanielIndo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:40 pm

I have a SLG100N. Good one. I also have a Gibson Chet Atkins CEC which could also play unplugged softly. It is a discontinued one, but Epiphone still makes the same model about USD 400. The Gibson plays beautifully plugged. I never try the Epiphone.There is also a nylon slim guitar Fender Stratocaster which has similar look with Chet Atkins. Just try it. Regards.Daniel. Indonedia
2005 Jose Ramirez 1a Sakurai Kohno Special 2015
2005 Amalio Burguet 1F
2001 Juan Hernandez Maestro
2009 Loriente Angela
2011 Yamaha GC41
2015 Yamaha NCX2000FM

chelson

Post by chelson » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Brought over my image from the post on SLG130 NW for your reference. Left is SLG200N and right is SLG130 NW. Hope this helps.

How does it sound live?
This is a "dead" electronic instrument. It does not have a live wooden sound box to complement and project the voice naturally. So, its sound depends on the amplifier used and positioning (sound system setup), and expensive cable may believe by some for enhancement. Plus, it breaks the sound barrier of a normal CG in a live concert, just like an electric guitar.

You do a quick search in youtube and listen to its sound sample played by many performers. It is exactly what you will get.

How does it feel?
It is very playable. Good low but no buzz set up, slightly narrower fingerboard like most Yamaha CG, very gentle for smaller hand. Quality and built is of good Yamaha standard.
However, as mentioned in the other post, the back of its nature finished fingerboard is not very smooth as per Yamaha GC or even CG range. I suspect this maybe due to the natural grain of wood used, not workmanship or quality.

Next is the contour of the body side edge (see picture). It is not very gently rounded, but almost square. It hurts the chest and arm during long duration playing, but adding some cushioning will solve it.

For me, SLG works very very well as a practice guitar. I can play hours now without a single complain from my family on the noise (to them) except the time that i have spent on it.

Personally, I also like the feeling of nature finished fingerboard from the new Yamaha range since they have introduced few years back. Not forgetting its built in tuner, which is just another bonus that I'm enjoying. :D
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:52 am

Get a good set of pickups installed in the Alhambra. That's better than buying a junky little Yahamaha toy. The Alhambra with good pickups will give good response.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:12 pm

I have the 130NW. It's pretty easy to play but the sound for pure classical is really not much to write home about. I use it for practicing late at night and I bring it along with me when I have to travel. It is really fantastic for that purpose!
I don't even bother plugging headphones into it because it doesn't sound very good to me that way. It does sound OK through one of my electric guitar amps, but not very "classical" tone so I usually don't plug in anymore.
Another advantage is the unplugged tone kind of doesn't "suffer" (because there isn't much tone in the first place) when the strings start to go bad, so I don't really feel like I need to change the strings on it very often!

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:56 pm

I use this guitar for practice in the middle of the night, as I often suffer from insomnia after 3 or 4 in the morning. I am quite happy with the sound that I get from it using a good pair of headphones, even if it never can be the same as a real guitar with an acoustic box. The one thing that bothers me is the 50 mm nut width. I notice the difference from 52 mm a lot, and I can't really get used to it. I think it was a terrible idea of them to deviate from the standard 52 mm, as they should have foreseen that a large part of their market would be classical guitar players practicing at night, and that many of them would not like to keep switching back and forth between different widths.
Does anyone know of a comparable silent guitar with a standard 52 mm width and similar price?
Yamaha GC42S

chelson

Post by chelson » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:43 am

Francisco wrote: Does anyone know of a comparable silent guitar with a standard 52 mm width and similar price?
There is actually a SLG200NW being released.

http://m.usa.yamaha.com/products/guitar ... nw_nt.html

Nevertheless, I cannot understand why YAMAHA want to produce SLG200N in the 1st place, and not straight with "NW". Note that "NW" usually comes with "better" material.
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:03 am

chelson wrote:
Francisco wrote: Does anyone know of a comparable silent guitar with a standard 52 mm width and similar price?
There is actually a SLG200NW being released.

http://m.usa.yamaha.com/products/guitar ... nw_nt.html

Nevertheless, I cannot understand why YAMAHA want to produce SLG200N in the 1st place, and not straight with "NW". Note that "NW" usually comes with "better" material.
Thank you for letting me know! We'll see what the price for this one will be. If it's not too outrageus I will put my 200N for sale right away and get the NW. I believe my 200N should sell pretty easily as a lot of people don't mind the 2mm difference at all.
Yamaha GC42S

MrSteve

Post by MrSteve » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:16 pm

I believe MSRP price will be $699 on the 200NW
2016 Chris Sobel Luthier Guitar Cedar/Madagascar Rosewood
2007 Darren Hippner Hauser SP/BRW
Yamaha SLG130NW Classical Silent

2012 Yulong Guo Chamber Concert Double Top SP/EIRW (SOLD)

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:08 pm

MrSteve wrote:I believe MSRP price will be $699 on the 200NW
I hope you're right. Here they talk about $1,100 MSRP, which is quite high I think.
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/01/prweb13997693.htm

It is supposed to be available in April, but music stores don't seem to know yet when they will have it.
Yamaha GC42S

waime

Post by waime » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:30 pm

:)
2006 Hill Signature Double Top Standup #2469

PREVIOUS
2015 Hippner Torres Cedar #813
2002 Dunn Double Top Cedar #12
Anonymous Cedar
Takamine EG128SC
2007 Redman Spruce, Zebrawood
2008 Loriente Marieta, Spruce
1993 Esteve 1GR9C Cedar
Yamaha CG101, Spruce

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:37 pm

I have sold my SLG130NW last weekend as I didn't play it very often. Mainly used it as my office guitar for shorter practicing sessions during lunch time. But I never liked the playing feeling and the amplified sound. The posture of the frame on the knees was somehow awkward. It's not a real classical, but for those who want to play amplified fusion or jazz on stage - why not.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:18 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:I have sold my SLG130NW last weekend as I didn't play it very often. Mainly used it as my office guitar for shorter practicing sessions during lunch time. But I never liked the playing feeling and the amplified sound. The posture of the frame on the knees was somehow awkward. It's not a real classical, but for those who want to play amplified fusion or jazz on stage - why not.
I use a small cushion on the left thigh, something call a Dynarette. The guitar is pretty unstable on it because of its narrow frame, but I solve this by always using a strap as a kind of safety measure to prevent the guitar from accidentally dropping out of my lap. This also allows you to walk around the appartment while practicing at 4 in the morning. I suppose one could design some kind of cushion-lifting item to be securely attached ot the frame and rested on the leg. I also wrapped some cushiony tissue on the upper frame to serve as an armrest, otherwise the frame cuts too much into the flesh. The sound coming out of the 200N with a good pair of headphones and the right settings is not unpleasant to my ear, even if it obviously can't reproduce a real acoustic sound. It is great for practice in the middle of the night. I recently read a autobiography by Segovia. There is a chapter where he recounts his first arrival in Madrid (around 1915 or so) still pretty much unknown except for some guitar circles in Andalusia, and his first visit to the Ramirez shop, his talk to Ramirez, trying out the guitar Ramirez brought him to try, being blown away by the sound, and then, after playing almost his entire repertoire right there in the shop, the whole thing ends with Ramirez giving him the guitar for free and saying "you'll pay me not with money but in other ways". Well Segovia goes back to his dingy boardinghouse and for a whole week he can't sleep at all at night, with the excitement of having been given that guitar (which there was no way he could afford then). He gets up in the middle of the night just to look at it, take it out of its case, touch it... When he practices it at those hours (workaholic that he is) he puts a cloth on the strings to muffle the sound, so as not the disturb the other lodgers. The Yamanha silent guitars would have helped him for practicing purposes
Yamaha GC42S

Bobbio84

Post by Bobbio84 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:55 pm

I'm impressed that Yamaha released a 200nw. I would have bought it if it were out a year ago.

After playing this guitar (200n that is) for about a year now, I must say that I love it. I hear a lot of people saying it is not a 'real' classical. Maybe... maybe not... Depends what you mean by classical guitar. A guitar that DOES play classical music or a guitar that COULD play classical music.

I know that I have changed my style since buying it. I play a lot more arrangements of popular songs, jazz standards, even trying to relearn some old blues stuff. I have let go of the classical posture and am playing on my right knee instead. A few years ago I may have not strayed this far from classical music, but currently I am enjoying playing more than I have in awhile. I know that my college guit teacher would not be happy that I have let go of the more traditional playing although my technique is still heavily based in classical methods.

Bottom line, if you're going to fully dive into the nylon-electric world, than this is a amazing guitar. I would even say one of a kind. If you want to stay with more traditional répertoire, you might not like it.
Alhambra 3C (nylon)
Yamaha SLG200N (nylon-electric)
Washburn D42SCE (steel)
Fender Piha'eu (ukulele)

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”