Humidity control question

Zabava77

Humidity control question

Post by Zabava77 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Hope this is OK to post here. I bought my new Alhambra c7 and with it a D'Addario two-way humidification system ( special pouches you keep inside the case). Any other recommendations? What is your experience with this?
Carpe Diem

Alhambra 7c

MrSteve

Re: Humidity control question

Post by MrSteve » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:25 am

I use a cheap planet waves acoustic guitar humidifier (you wet a small yellow sponge with distilled water) and pop the plastic unit between the strings.

works very well and cost under $9
2016 Chris Sobel Luthier Guitar Cedar/Madagascar Rosewood
2007 Darren Hippner Hauser SP/BRW
Yamaha SLG130NW Classical Silent

2012 Yulong Guo Chamber Concert Double Top SP/EIRW (SOLD)

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:09 am

Zabava77 wrote:Hope this is OK to post here. I bought my new Alhambra c7 and with it a D'Addario two-way humidification system ( special pouches you keep inside the case). Any other recommendations? What is your experience with this?
They're great--the planet waves ones I'm assuming?

The advantage is they keep the guitar at about 50% RH, and it works two ways. You have to replace them on schedule, I don't remember off hand what the interval is.

Chris
CE Sobel Guitars

vesa

Post by vesa » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:35 am

I´ve used Dampit 35 years in all my guitars and I always keep them in cases.
Never a single crack. I put them in my guitars when the weather turns to bellow 0°C. Sometimes we have very harsh(dry) winters, several months between -10°- -35° C.
I just check the wetness of them with my fingers and add water if dry.
And I must add that all the guitars I do have cracks
and that is because I´ve forgotten to put the ¨dampit-wurm¨ inside.
So Dampit really does the job.
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:43 pm

Currently I use a combination of the D'addrio humidipaks and my own home made sponge system:

I keep one humidipak at the headstock and the 2-pack humidipak in the storage compartment of my case since the compartment isn't totally sealed. This allows the entire neck to be evenly humidified and the body benefits as well.

Then I add one DIY sponge with water/propylene glycol solution (see picture) at the head stock, and one for the sound hole. The benefit of doing this is that the humidipaks will last a very long time, but if my sponges go dry then the humidipaks will pick up the slack. I also find that the sponges don't dry out very fast either since they aren't carrying all of the burden. I've been using the humidipaks for almost 2 months now and they are as good as new, no hint of hardening at all. This system allows for there to be plenty of moisture so the guitar is never under humidified, but the propylene glycol and humidipaks ensure the guitar is never over humidified either. Whenever I open the case, the hygrometer always indicates somewhere between 50-55% which I think is perfect, keeping my guitar sounding and feeling great. The propylene glycol also prevents mold growth in the sponges.

I don't like putting the humidipaks in the sound hole because they are cumbersome to take in and out and I have heard several terrible horror stories of people's humidipaks leaking into their expensive guitars.

If you'd like to know more how I go about doing all of this, shoot me a PM or ask me here.

All the best,
Sheldon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:10 pm

May I ask about this water/propylene glycol solution: what are the proportions of water and this propylene glycol ? I ask in public forum because I think that it may be of good use for some/many of us. Thank you !
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:55 pm

I recently got the Boveda humipaks. They're the same as the D'Addario (I think they even make D'Addario's ) but use the system of two-paks-in-a-double-sleeve (which I understand was the way D'Addario used to make them). Otherwise they're the same. I also keep two by the headstock and two in the body.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Kevin L Benbow

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:20 pm

I have been using d'adarrio humidipaks for about a year on both of my guitars. I live in a desert. The paks keep them both at 47% all the time.
Note: This mind not for rent

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:35 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:May I ask about this water/propylene glycol solution: what are the proportions of water and this propylene glycol ? I ask in public forum because I think that it may be of good use for some/many of us. Thank you !
I got the idea from Bacsidoan on this forum. You can buy propylene glycol for about $13.99 online. I like using it because it has prevented mold from growing on my sponges. It also keeps the guitar from being over humidified because the PG absorbs excess moisture, which also allows the sponge to last longer before needing to be recharged with water.

In theory you're supposed to do a 4:1 ratio (4 parts PG and 1 part water) to keep the relative humidity around 55%. Once the RH goes beyond 55%, the propylene glycol starts absorbing the excess moisture so you don't over humidify your guitar. Now if you use less PG and more water, like a 2:1 ratio for example, then in theory the RH cap will be higher than 55%.

In my experience though, I've just been doing a 1:1 ratio and it still seems to keep the RH at around 50-55% even without using the d'addario humidipaks. I prefer a 1:1 solution because its easier to measure, and makes things less sticky. And if ever, I'd rather slightly over humidify then under humidify.

Important note: You only need to use the PG/Water solution once. Once the sponge gets dry after that, you only have to add water from then on, unless you wash the PG out of the sponge of course.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:59 pm

My hard cases w no humidifier application in it gets two Oasis blue/yellow tube humidifiers. One for the sound hole and the other at the neck area.(I dont think the humidity flows through that neck joint part of the case as it gets closed off).

Esteve 8 cedar
Alhambra 9P cedar

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:48 am

@souldier: thank you very much for your detailed answer !

@Debussychopin: I am also using the OASIS humidifiers - one yellow, one blue in my Hiscox ProLite hard cases and the level of humidity is monitored by OASIS electronic hygrometers. I asked for proportions of water to propylene glycol to make a humidifier that will humidify the area under the head of a guitar in hard case better, then the spong moistened just with water that I use now.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

Zabava77

Post by Zabava77 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:49 pm

Thank you all for your helpful answers!
Carpe Diem

Alhambra 7c

jdart3000

Post by jdart3000 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:24 pm

Maybe slightly off-topic, but here's my struggle with (high) humidity control:

I have one of the D'Addario 2-way Humidipak systems that I've been trying to make work on one of my guitars for over a year now. (This one guitar seems to be more greatly affected by high humidity than my others.) I originally became interested in this system to control humidity in the humid summer months. (In the drier winter months, I have no problem with my other guitars just using the "traditional" Planet Waves or Oasis sponge-style humidifiers.) The guitar in question is kept in a latched hard case when not being played, but the humidity is always pretty close to whatever it is outside the case (I use 3 calibrated hygrometers that agree.) I REALLY WANT this system to work to keep the guitar from sounding dull & muddy in the humid summer months and also to not have to be concerned with humidity throughout the year. The packs never harden even after many months of use. D'Addario was kind enough to send me free replacements with instructions for their use, but I have had no success with them either. I have "humidified" the case, as suggested by D'Addario.

I don't really expect for anyone here to "fix" it for me, but I just wonder if anyone else has this issue. Or are there any suggestions to make this system work?

Thank you,
John
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

2012 German Vazquez Rubio Estudio - Spruce
1979 Sakurai Kohno No. 10 - Cedar
2006 Alhambra 4P - Spruce

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:33 pm

john: I've had exactly the same experience. these packs are great for raising humidity in your case and keeping it right around 52%. However, I've found that when I start with humidity in my case of, say, 65%, these packs don't in fact lower the humidity in my case. What I'm going to do is try to dry out one of these packs and then use that when the humidity is high to see if it absorbs excess humidity that way. Trouble is, where I live it never really gets dry enough to dry out a pack!

Maybe if you have a completely airtight case these would work?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:45 am

jdart3000 wrote:I don't really expect for anyone here to "fix" it for me, but I just wonder if anyone else has this issue. Or are there any suggestions to make this system work?
Hi John,

I think the challenge you face is that the case you have probably isn't airtight, so it is allowing the ambient humidity to seep in at a faster rate than the humidipaks can absorb them. Secondly, the packs can only absorb so much moisture until they become "full". It's almost like leaving the guitar outside of the case with a humidipak in the soundhole hoping that it would keep the guitar from being overly humidified. In such a case (no pun intended), here are some things you can do:

-Purchase a case that is more airtight, which could cost a small fortune, so it really depends on if the guitar is even worth purchasing a better case for. I know that Hoffee makes super airtight cases, such that they are even summersible in water. I have a visesnut case that has a rubber seal all around the edges. I don't know if it is100% air/water tight, but I can tell you that it seals very well. An average hardcase is not sealed well, so if you can find a case that is at least more airtight than average, this could also help
-I've heard of people using those silica gel packs that absorb moisture. You can also try to find a way to dry out your humidipaks so they can absorb more moisture
-Keep your guitars in a small room with a closed door and use a room dehumidifier. I think this would be your best and simplest fix. The only downside is the upkeep and maintenance you need to do on the dehumidifier.

All the best,
Sheldon

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”