Humidity control question

docdq99

Re: Humidity control question

Post by docdq99 » Tue May 03, 2016 4:22 am

Hi,

I've been reading through the posts above and it seems most of the people here are concerned with low humidity and therefore are looking for ways to humidify their guitars. I think this concern is predominant in areas with cold winters where there is low humidity making guitars too dry.

In my case, I am from a country with very high humidity (Philippines). Normally humidity is around 50-60 RH and can get higher. So my concern is keeping my guitars at a lower relative humidity to keep the tops and back from bulging.

I have tried a number of things from silica gel to electronic dehumidifiers but none seem to work to keep the guitars from bulging. I usually keep my guitars in their cases (I don't think they are air tight) when not is use. I also try to place the guitars in a temperature controlled room (although the air conditioning is not round the clock). All these measures do not solve my problem. One of my acoustic guitar's neck seemed to have grown since the fingerboard is no longer flush with the guitar neck.

Any suggestions on how to keep my guitars at an acceptable relative humidity and how can I remove the bulging (especially at the back of the bridge)?

Thanks

Brusko

Post by Brusko » Tue May 03, 2016 6:45 am

docdq99 wrote:Hi,

I've been reading through the posts above and it seems most of the people here are concerned with low humidity and therefore are looking for ways to humidify their guitars. I think this concern is predominant in areas with cold winters where there is low humidity making guitars too dry.

In my case, I am from a country with very high humidity (Philippines). Normally humidity is around 50-60 RH and can get higher. So my concern is keeping my guitars at a lower relative humidity to keep the tops and back from bulging.

I have tried a number of things from silica gel to electronic dehumidifiers but none seem to work to keep the guitars from bulging. I usually keep my guitars in their cases (I don't think they are air tight) when not is use. I also try to place the guitars in a temperature controlled room (although the air conditioning is not round the clock). All these measures do not solve my problem. One of my acoustic guitar's neck seemed to have grown since the fingerboard is no longer flush with the guitar neck.

Any suggestions on how to keep my guitars at an acceptable relative humidity and how can I remove the bulging (especially at the back of the bridge)?

Thanks
This is a big issue here in the Middle East too. In the winter it's dry, but during the summer the humidity soars very high.
Jason Wolverton - "El Dragón de Oro" (Spruce/Maple)

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue May 03, 2016 12:55 pm

You can buy small cupboard or wardrobe dehumidifiers, obviously you will need some sort of access hole for the electric cable. Store the guitar in there. Take it out when you wish to play it and place it back in the cupboard straight after. The secret to humidity control is to limit the room size and the exchange of air between that room and the outside world. The more 'air leaks' you have in the room (or cupboard) the harder it is to control humidity. Ultimately the best solution is to buy a guitar that has been constructed in a higher humidity, say 60% rather than the more usual 45 -50%.
Your bulge behind the bridge may not be a result of high humidity, most guitars develop a bit of that bulge over time. It just depends on how severe it is.
Historicalguitars.

docdq99

Post by docdq99 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:05 am

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the advice. I will see if I can do as you say.

Dennis

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu May 05, 2016 1:52 pm

I lived on Guam for 3 years and the humidity was so high, we'd get mold on walls.

My only solution was to use a small room dehumidifier. It kept me and my guitar very comfortable
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

docdq99

Post by docdq99 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:15 pm

thank you for all the suggestions. I am now looking for a room dehumidifier. Any suggestions?

cfxguitar

Post by cfxguitar » Wed May 18, 2016 2:03 pm

Sheldon your right about the sealed cases!
I have a fiberglass case from Castillo with a rubber seal and it keeps my guitar around 47% most times of the year. My guitars are also stored in a closet so the ambient space is more controlled, I use HumidiPaks as well and rehydrate the packs in a tupperware container. Whenever I have stored a guitar in a travel case, my HumidiPaks dry out really fast.

Its also important to remember where the guitar was built... I made my flamenco guitar in Spain where the workshop was around 60% during the entire build. Back in NY, the guitar sounds best in the Spring and Summer when the humidity is around 75%. I have been making guitars in Brooklyn NY - the average humidity in my shop is 30% - and noticed that the guitars sound very consistent most times of the year.

Lastly, the finish might have an effect on the humidity/sound relationship - I don't have the data on this - but I feel that french polish is definitely much more elastic...
Regards,
Christian Nguyen

-Z-

Post by -Z- » Fri May 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Guys, RH rates here are pretty high and my guitar tone seems to be 'muddying' out through time, I don't know if it is my ears... so recently I bought some silica gel ( the ones with cobalt chlorite ) and left inside my guitar case closed overnight and it turned from blue to completely pink (cobalt chlorite turns pink if hydrated) shouldn't this this take longer? Is my case worthless or something?

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:21 am

vesa wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:35 am
I´ve used Dampit 35 years in all my guitars and I always keep them in cases.
Never a single crack. I put them in my guitars when the weather turns to bellow 0°C. Sometimes we have very harsh(dry) winters, several months between -10°- -35° C.
I just check the wetness of them with my fingers and add water if dry.
And I must add that all the guitars I do have cracks
and that is because I´ve forgotten to put the ¨dampit-wurm¨ inside.
So Dampit really does the job.
I think 0 C is way to low to start humidifying. I measured as low as 29% in my house this spring (southern Sweden) when temperatures outside were well above 0C. I stopped using my humidifier only one or two weeks ago. I am having ca 50% in my house now.

I am using the simple planet wave humidifier. There is a nice video of Martin guitars demonstrating the effectiveness of damp-it to get a dry guitar back in shape.

vesa

Post by vesa » Mon May 22, 2017 6:21 am

joachim33 wrote:
I think 0 C is way to low to start humidifying.
Use of humidifier when below 0°C is a rule of thumb that works where I live in northern scandinavia.
I follow it and so do many of my colleagues.
During those 35 years I have had 6 luthier build guitars, not a single crack. It won't work in dry areas like northern Africa, desert areas in USA and Australia etc.
When I lived in Denmark (climate is almost the same as in southern Sweden) I never used an humidifier, neither did my collegues, none had cracks in their instruments(Fleta, Romanillos, Fisher, Humphrey, Ramirez etc. etc.).
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Aucaman

Post by Aucaman » Tue May 23, 2017 1:10 am

I’ve been using the Oasis humidifiers for many years with great results.
But because I do have to constantly check the water level in them, I decided to switch to Boveda humipaks. Unfortunately they didn’t work for me. They did not keep a decent level of humidity by increasing or absorbing humidity (as they were supposed to do) and finally they turned hard as rock.
I’m back on my very reliable Oasis tube humidifiers (brown and blue).

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:34 am

Aucaman wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:10 am
I’ve been using the Oasis humidifiers for many years with great results.
But because I do have to constantly check the water level in them, I decided to switch to Boveda humipaks. Unfortunately they didn’t work for me. They did not keep a decent level of humidity by increasing or absorbing humidity (as they were supposed to do) and finally they turned hard as rock.
I’m back on my very reliable Oasis tube humidifiers (brown and blue).
You're in a desert environment. Current temp/ humidity where you are is 101F 12% RH. Is the climate like that year round? I am curious what kind of a case were you using with the Humidipaks and how long did it take for them to turn hard?

Aucaman

Post by Aucaman » Tue May 23, 2017 5:26 am

I have a very good HOFFEE case. We regularly get 100 from to May to September. The rest of the year we get from 58 to 88 max. Humidity is almost non existent. This is a very dry desert. The set of Humidipaks turn hard in about two months.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:47 pm

The Two-Way Humidification System (formerly Humidipak) should last 2 to 6 months per http://www.planetwaves.com/pwProductDet ... ion_System

So you are within the performance limits, but 2 months is still too short IMO. I'd want the paks to last longer. During the 2 months when you had the Humidipaks installed, did it keep your guitar humidified between safe limits of RH? What were you using as a hygrometer in the guitar case? Did your guitar develop a crack?

I have no experience with a Hoffee case other than reading about it and that it is an expensive case. May I suggest doing a leak test with some dry ice per this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpz4OlVIHsU from Boveda (manufacturer of the Two-Way Humidification System formerly Humidipak).

neil

Post by neil » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:09 pm

I used the oasis humidifier which is really practical and when the humidity is little High, i put silicate in the guitar case.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”