Best place to buy a new (Bernabé) guitar

Guido

Best place to buy a new (Bernabé) guitar

Post by Guido » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:50 am

I was hoping some of you would be able to give me some advice on this. I'm considering buying a new Bernabé guitar but there seem to be quite some differences in pricing across dealers in Europe. And unfortunately here in the Netherlands the prices seem to be relatively high. So my question is if anyone knows whether it is possible to buy from the Paulino Bernabé workshop directly in Madrid and what those prices would be? Does anyone have any experience with 'Guitarras de Luthier' (in Madrid), ' Lutherie Decorte' (in Belgium) or 'Stafford Guitar' (England)?

Price differences are quite substantial as an M5 or M10 would cost €1.900 and €2.550 respectively (at a dealer in Spain) opposed to €2.399 and €3.299 over here. At least for me as a student it's a noticeable amount of money and maybe worth flying to Madrid for, for example.

And while I'm at it: has anyone tried the new M15 yet?

Appreciate any advice on this topic! (Though I'm not really looking for any advice on other guitars within this budget ;))

WoodNString

Re: Best place to buy a new (Bernabé) guitar

Post by WoodNString » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:38 pm

Have you tried to contact Bernabé directly? A Google search and a few minutes should yield the details. I think dealers have their place and most of the time, justifiably charge a premium for their services. However, if you already know what you want, why go through a middle man? There are unfortunately a few high end dealers who are just guys selling expensive guitars out of their houses.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:51 pm

WoodNString wrote:Have you tried to contact Bernabé directly? A Google search and a few minutes should yield the details. I think dealers have their place and most of the time, justifiably charge a premium for their services. However, if you already know what you want, why go through a middle man? There are unfortunately a few high end dealers who are just guys selling expensive guitars out of their houses.
+ 1
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:53 pm

You said that you are looking for a new Bernabe, but I would buy a used M20 or M30 in your price range instead of a new M5.
20 classical guitars, soon 21 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Kevin L Benbow

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:38 pm

I have emailed Mr. Bernabe in the past. He has a reasonable response time. Just drop him a note and see what happens.
Note: This mind not for rent

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:52 am

Guido wrote:I was hoping some of you would be able to give me some advice on this. I'm considering buying a new Bernabé guitar but there seem to be quite some differences in pricing across dealers in Europe. And unfortunately here in the Netherlands the prices seem to be relatively high. So my question is if anyone knows whether it is possible to buy from the Paulino Bernabé workshop directly in Madrid and what those prices would be? Does anyone have any experience with 'Guitarras de Luthier' (in Madrid), ' Lutherie Decorte' (in Belgium) or 'Stafford Guitar' (England)?

Price differences are quite substantial as an M5 or M10 would cost €1.900 and €2.550 respectively (at a dealer in Spain) opposed to €2.399 and €3.299 over here. At least for me as a student it's a noticeable amount of money and maybe worth flying to Madrid for, for example.

Appreciate any advice on this topic! (Though I'm not really looking for any advice on other guitars within this budget ;))
Look at Marktplaats for an used Bernabe M10 for €1.990 (in Utrecht).

dilettante1000

Post by dilettante1000 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:28 pm

Eric de Vries wrote:
Guido wrote:I was hoping some of you would be able to give me some advice on this. I'm considering buying a new Bernabé guitar but there seem to be quite some differences in pricing across dealers in Europe. And unfortunately here in the Netherlands the prices seem to be relatively high. So my question is if anyone knows whether it is possible to buy from the Paulino Bernabé workshop directly in Madrid and what those prices would be? Does anyone have any experience with 'Guitarras de Luthier' (in Madrid), ' Lutherie Decorte' (in Belgium) or 'Stafford Guitar' (England)?

Look at Marktplaats for an used Bernabe M10 for €1.990 (in Utrecht).
I have an M10 and it is definitively superior to the M5 which I have also played (though both are very good guitars!). A couple of professionals have played it and were pretty complimentary about it. It was observed, by them as well as by me, to play 'big', though the dimensions are the same as other guitars, it feels bigger in the arms and under the hands.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:55 am

You have to consider not only the price but the service after sales as well...
Otto Vowinkel Concert
German V. Rubio Concert

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:05 pm

Yes buy a used one if possible. You can save quite a bit of money. Most importantly play it before
you buy it!. A trip to Spain to sample many guitars sounds like fun.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:25 pm

Guido wrote:
Hello Guido :)

Bernabe guitars have always been higher priced it seems. The money spent on a mere M5 or M10 can "get you more guitar" from another maker. I have looked at Bernabe guitars now for several years as I've slowly made up a list of which guitars I would like to have for my price bracket. Unfortunately, they are so expensive that I cannot go any further than an M10 - should I decide to go towards a Bernabe. This seems ridiculous to me to spend $4k US on a model that is only the second up in its line! There are better options for Spanish guitars thankfully.

It all depends on what you want to do: Will you keep your guitar, will you sell it? Maybe its better to save your money and buy a higher up model when the time comes, or buy a used one such as an M20 or M30 as someone here has suggested.

I understand full well your dilemma and desire to own a Bernabe. But, the ridiculously higher price one has to pay, which seems to be mostly for the Bernabe name, is too much to stomach - not just for me but others as well that have already made comments concerning the high price of Bernabe guitars.

In conclusion, yes an M5 is a nice guitar but, who wants a lowly M5? So, M10 seems more logical. But, at $4k US - you CAN do better. You REALLY have to think about it because there are better choices. Unless of course, you must have a Bernabe at all costs. Then, close your eyes and just dish out the cash my friend. :|

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:25 pm

segobreawill wrote:
Guido wrote:

Bernabe guitars have always been higher priced it seems. The money spent on a mere M5 or M10 can "get you more guitar" from another maker. I have looked at Bernabe guitars now for several years as I've slowly made up a list of which guitars I would like to have for my price bracket. Unfortunately, they are so expensive that I cannot go any further than an M10 - should I decide to go towards a Bernabe. This seems ridiculous to me to spend $4k US on a model that is only the second up in its line! There are better options for Spanish guitars thankfully.

It all depends on what you want to do: Will you keep your guitar, will you sell it? Maybe its better to save your money and buy a higher up model when the time comes, or buy a used one such as an M20 or M30 as someone here has suggested.

I understand full well your dilemma and desire to own a Bernabe. But, the ridiculously higher price one has to pay, which seems to be mostly for the Bernabe name, is too much to stomach - not just for me but others as well that have already made comments concerning the high price of Bernabe guitars.

In conclusion, yes an M5 is a nice guitar but, who wants a lowly M5? So, M10 seems more logical. But, at $4k US - you CAN do better. You REALLY have to think about it because there are better choices. Unless of course, you must have a Bernabe at all costs. Then, close your eyes and just dish out the cash my friend. :|
What are your better Spanish options , always eager to hear ?

Guido

Post by Guido » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:30 pm

@WoodNString /Jacek A. Rochacki / Kevin L Benbow, I thought I'd try to see if anyone had any experience yet, but I've also contacted Bernabé now and am awaiting a reaction. Will let you guys know the response I get.

@andreas777 / Eric de Vries / Number 6, obviously you get good value with a second hand guitar, but I'm actually really looking forward of owning my first decent new guitar. Thanks for the advise though, it's a good offer from Utrecht as well, Eric!

Guido

Post by Guido » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:07 pm

segobreawill wrote:
Guido wrote:
Hi Sego :)

A year ago or so I didn't know much about the different brands of guitars, which I saw as an benefit, because that way I was unprejudiced. Out of all the guitars I played when I spent a day in the shop, I thought the Bernabé (M5 and even more so the M10) had great playability, dynamic range and a lovely sound, even for it's price. It didn't really feel like paying for a brand name to me compared to other guitars and their prices at that shop (I for one thought the Alhambra 9/10P were very overpriced (around €1700) for their sound..). But I guess this also really depends on where you buy, because the same guitar can cost over a thousand euros more between different dealers (in the 2k-4k price bracket that's a lot). As you say, $4k US for an M10, but Guitarras de Luthier for example charges 'only' around US$2.875, hence I started this topic ;)

I just want to touch on the remark you make of buying a ' lowly' guitar or 'only second up in its line'. I don't really think that's a fair way of looking at things, it doesn't necessarily mean those guitars can't be good value. It would be kind of the same thing to say a Porsche Carrera S isn't worth it's price, because it's a 'lower' model than the 4S, Turbo, GT3, 918 etc. That being said, I do understand that there are probably other guitars out there with a better value, it's just that I haven't discovered them yet, because I can only discover what is available for me to play..:(

I really appreciate your thoughts by the way, so if my comment might imply otherwise to you, please know that I DO appreciate it :)

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:34 pm

Before I answer ANYTHING else, I need to make something clear because I was in error yesterday when I said that an M10 is overpriced at $4k US.

I just went to Zavaletas and verified the prices: M5 = $2,600; M10 = $3,000; M20 = $4,000.

Please accept my apologies as I was thinking of the M20 while answering in regards to an M10. Sorry folks!

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Guido wrote:
segobreawill wrote:
Guido wrote:
Hi Sego :)

I really appreciate your thoughts by the way, so if my comment might imply otherwise to you, please know that I DO appreciate it :)
Hello Again Guido,

No worries, there's no ill feelings at all my friend. :)

First off, I hope you read my little update where I state that I was in error concerning the price of the M10 which I verified and is now at $3k US - it was a while since I checked the prices for Bernabe guitars, so my apologies.

Secondly, do understand that my opinion is just that - "my opinion", as is someone else's opinion "their" opinion. This is a lot like saying who is the more beautiful woman, Lady X, or Lady Y, or Lady Z? Its a matter of personal taste.

You won't go wrong with a Bernabe. Based on what I said yesterday, I correct myself in saying that for my price limit of $4K US, then an M20 is the highest I can go for. But, I want to keep my guitars. I'm not a young man that wants to get into all the hassle of buying, keeping for while and then reselling. But, that's just me.

I gave you my opinion based on my reading of many threads on this forum from those that know way more and better than I do. You are doing the same thing as I was and am STILL doing - trying to inform yourself to make the best possible purchase when the time comes. We're pretty much in the same boat here my friend. :) I just stated what I had gone through and the conclusions I've arrived at. I began with the M5 on my list. Then I went a bit higher to the M10. Finally, I peaked at my price range and it was the M20. But, I found that there are more interesting options for a Spanish guitar for those prices. Take a look at Juan Hernandez, Amalio Burguet, Antonio Picado, and you'll understand a bit better. With regards to Antonio Picado, you may want to read the thread from Jacek A. Rochacki. He has many pictures that show how his particular Picado M60 was built in the actual Picado shop and not somewhere else and then adjusted before being shipped, as seems to be the case with the Bernabe models 5, 10, 20. But, I'm not entirely sure about that - I recall reading something about it on this forum at one point.

The more information we have, the better it is for us to make a better decision, and later down the road perhaps help others to make a better decision with our testimonies, yes? :)

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”