Best place to buy a new (Bernabé) guitar

segobreawill

Re: Best place to buy a new (Bernabé) guitar

Postby segobreawill » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:17 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:
segobreawill wrote:

What are your better Spanish options , always eager to hear ?

Hello Gary :)

As I stated with Guido, I've been sifting through the Delcamp forum for a few years now even though I just fairly recently joined. It has been extremely informative and educational. As a result, I've gone through many revisions as far as my list is concerned, and for my price range. The members at Delcamp have been a God-send for me as far as I'm concerned because I could never have known of all these guitar options.

IMHO let's call them "interesting", as opposed to "better" shall we :wink: options for Spanish guitars and within that price range, of course are: Juan Hernandez, Antonio Picado, Amalio Burguet. This of course, is purely subjective on my part but they seem to offer a guitar that is very good for that price range. Better than a Bernabe at that price range? I cannot speak from personal experience only from what Delcampers have said and it seems that these options are at the very least, just as good. What I like though is that these guitars are made in-house and apparently not like the Bernabe M5,10, 20 which I've read somewhere are made in another shop (like Picado's shop) then shipped to Bernabe and verified/adjusted before being shipped out. Now, that may not be entirely accurate, but I'm just relaying what I've read.

If you've got better options for me, or Guido, as far as Spanish guitars are concerned, please let me (us) know. In my case, I'm also looking into J.B. Castellucia and Armin Hanika. And then there's always my kink with a Yamaha GC guitar that is ever present! :lol:

Thanks.

Gene

Gary Macleod

Postby Gary Macleod » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:02 pm

segobreawill wrote:
Gary Macleod wrote:
segobreawill wrote:

What are your better Spanish options , always eager to hear ?

Hello Gary :)

As I stated with Guido, I've been sifting through the Delcamp forum for a few years now even though I just fairly recently joined. It has been extremely informative and educational. As a result, I've gone through many revisions as far as my list is concerned, and for my price range. The members at Delcamp have been a God-send for me as far as I'm concerned because I could never have known of all these guitar options.

IMHO let's call them "interesting", as opposed to "better" shall we :wink: options for Spanish guitars and within that price range, of course are: Juan Hernandez, Antonio Picado, Amalio Burguet. This of course, is purely subjective on my part but they seem to offer a guitar that is very good for that price range. Better than a Bernabe at that price range? I cannot speak from personal experience only from what Delcampers have said and it seems that these options are at the very least, just as good. What I like though is that these guitars are made in-house and apparently not like the Bernabe M5,10, 20 which I've read somewhere are made in another shop (like Picado's shop) then shipped to Bernabe and verified/adjusted before being shipped out. Now, that may not be entirely accurate, but I'm just relaying what I've read.

If you've got better options for me, or Guido, as far as Spanish guitars are concerned, please let me (us) know. In my case, I'm also looking into J.B. Castellucia and Armin Hanika. And then there's always my kink with a Yamaha GC guitar that is ever present! :lol:

Thanks.

Gene

Hi Gene,

Nice to see your choice, in fact I've heard so much about Picado I've ordered a model 62 double top in cedar and Madagascar rosewood due end of September.

Regards

Gary

Guido

Postby Guido » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:22 pm

segobreawill wrote:
Guido wrote:
segobreawill wrote:Hello Guido :)

Hi Sego :)

Hello Again Guido,

I'd say US$3k for an M10 isn't that bad then, is it? Over here I'd pay around US$3700+

I too read something about some of the models being build in the Bernabé workshop but not by the man himself, however, if it's good, it's good.. right?

Of the brands you name, I've only played a Burguet, the AB model. That guitar was absolutely wonderful, but way out of my budget at almost €5k. I am planning on trying the 1A though, because that's available in the shop and is more within my budget. I'll have to see if I can try out a Hernandez and Picado. The first one is available at a reasonable distance from my home, but I can't seem to find a dealer with Picado guitars yet... Thanks for the advice though! I 100% agree with you that you can't have enough information, which is why I appreciate everyone who shares his knowledge and/or opinion.

Jacek's story is a great read and it's very nice to see those pictures, thanks for the tip :)
Last edited by Guido on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:10 pm

@Guido
See PM

dilettante1000

Postby dilettante1000 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:13 am

Let's dispense with the nonsense about 'second lowest' and 'highest' and so forth. Some 'names' sell Chinese made product ( not in itself a bad thing). Some names sell 'student grade' guitars, with fewer man-hours and less expertise inputted; some basic luthier workshop models are sourced at Esteve or one of the few other factories; some names only make to order; many luthiers are one-man operations.

There's no way you can make a comparison based on how high up a putative list a guitar maker's model is. You have to try if you can, if not, the price is a reasonable indicator of relative quality much of the time. Simply put, there are very few or no $1000 guitars which sound like a $3000 one unless (or do I mean 'even if') they are being played by a great player. A Bernabe M10 is a very fine guitar which was my choice in the budget I hade at the time from five different options.

I'll reiterate. My M10 was played at the CGR by a couple of professional concert performers who independently expressed the opinion, without being asked, that it was a very fine guitar. It was interesting to be able to compare the sound with other guitars, such as a Burguet, and a number of English guitars which were being exhibited, including a Kevin Aram.

First thing to note is that the sound and projection vary a fair bit, if you have the ear to hear it, but that all the guitars, from the lowliest student models to the concert planks played by the pros all sounded good when played by a good player. After that, it is very much a matter of personal preference, whether you go for a 'modern' , 'classical Spanish' or 'clean English' sound and style of playing. They al have their place.

ben etow

Postby ben etow » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:43 pm

Guido wrote:Does anyone have any experience with 'Guitarras de Luthier' (in Madrid), ' Lutherie Decorte' (in Belgium) or 'Stafford Guitar' (England)?

Hi Guido,

Did you check the prices at Casa Luthier in Barcelona? They sure had the best price for a M10 back in '98... Dont't know now.

Guido

Postby Guido » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:23 pm

ben etow wrote:
Guido wrote:Does anyone have any experience with 'Guitarras de Luthier' (in Madrid), ' Lutherie Decorte' (in Belgium) or 'Stafford Guitar' (England)?

Hi Guido,

Did you check the prices at Casa Luthier in Barcelona? They sure had the best price for a M10 back in '98... Dont't know now.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the info. I did check the site, but it says ' ask for price'. Might be worth it to send them an e-mail then, if at one time they had the best prices, thanks :)

Guido

Postby Guido » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:30 pm

dilettante1000 wrote:

Hi Dilettante,

Thanks for sharing your opinion, I fully agree with you. Interesting though you mention that the sound and projection varies between guitars. I remember someone saying on this forum having played somewhere between 5-10 different guitars of the same model (M5 and 10 I think, not sure) and experiencing them as very consistent. Now that I think about it, he did mention something about an occasional 'monday morning guitar', as his words were.. Well, that's why we play a guitar before we buy it :)

ben etow

Postby ben etow » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:17 am

Guido wrote:
ben etow wrote:

Hi Guido,

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the info. I did check the site, but it says ' ask for price'. Might be worth it to send them an e-mail then, if at one time they had the best prices, thanks :)

It might indeed... I think my wife paid like 1600, compared to the 2300 or so Hill's Music was asking...

Guido

Postby Guido » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:10 am

ben etow wrote:
Guido wrote:
ben etow wrote:Hi Guido,

Hi Ben,

It might indeed... I think my wife paid like 1600, compared to the 2300 or so Hill's Music was asking...

1600 for an M10? :shock: Wow, sounds like a bargain in these days.. If anyone's interested, I'll let you know what their prices are when I get a response.

kloeten

Postby kloeten » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:05 am

Keep an eye on the Delcamp site as well. I bought my Bernabe from a fellow member and I am very happy with the purchase.

Guido

Postby Guido » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Kevin L Benbow wrote:I have emailed Mr. Bernabe in the past. He has a reasonable response time. Just drop him a note and see what happens.

Hi Kevin,

What would you describe as a reasonable response time? Also, could you please tell me what e-mail address you used? Thanks!

Kevin L Benbow

Postby Kevin L Benbow » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:49 pm

A few days. I just emailed the address on his website.
Note: This mind not for rent

Guido

Postby Guido » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:50 pm

Kevin L Benbow wrote:A few days. I just emailed the address on his website.

Thanks for your reply, I haven't been as lucky unfortunately. As of now the website is also offline and the Google search results even suggest 'This site may be hacked'. I remember there were two different e-mail addresses on the website though and I have only tried paulino [at] paulinobernabe.com yet.

Kevin L Benbow

Postby Kevin L Benbow » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:55 pm

Sorry to hear that, Have you tried to contact James at Zavaletas? He imports Bernabes all the the time. Google Zavaleta and classical guitar.
Note: This mind not for rent

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”