Hermanos Camps CL20 - Opinions?

rinneby

Hermanos Camps CL20 - Opinions?

Post by rinneby » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:49 am

My search for a new guitar continues...

I heard good things about the Hermanos Camps CL20 (around €1800), such as: Its a signature model that should be very well made and easy to play, made by a family team of luthiers in a small workshop. I've not seen too much about this particularl model here on the forum.

http://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p4460- ... -cdar.html

Right now it stands between this, a Picado model 60 (€1100 + 3 months waiting from the workshop) and very nice upcoming luthier here in town (Sweden) that makes guitars in the €2000-4000 range. My heart says I should probably go with my town luthier :) Gonna try he's guitars next Monday.

Anyone here an owner?

/Jon
Last edited by rinneby on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1973 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.80
2004 - Lars Jönsson Torres SE 114

You are the instrument, not the guitar

Gary Macleod

Re: Hermanos Camps CL20 - Opinions?

Post by Gary Macleod » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:12 pm

I had one, very easy to play with a nice sound.
Here's a video I did with it

https://youtu.be/fAzN0w3JWG4

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:42 pm

Here we have a piece "Aire Flamenco" composed and played by Maestro Eliseo Fresquet Serret on his Picado model 60.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlLCHnaZhoQ
Last edited by Jacek A. Rochacki on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

ElBee

Post by ElBee » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:39 pm

Hi rinneby, would you please keep us informed , a little report from workshop of that upcoming luthier would be realy nice...

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:40 pm

ElBee wrote:Hi rinneby, would you please keep us informed , a little report from workshop of that upcoming luthier would be realy nice...
Absolutely. Hopefully I'll take some pictures tomorrow and get back with feedback.

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1973 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.80
2004 - Lars Jönsson Torres SE 114

You are the instrument, not the guitar

ozeze

Post by ozeze » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:24 pm

I bought Camps CL-20 Cedar and can share my observation.
Just to be clear, I haven't play any classical guitar in that level of price so I cannot tell if it's better than others.

The guitar came with carbon strings
Soundwise:
Very balance, finally I have a nylon string guitar with a balance sound without overpower of the basses :P
It has warm sound but notes are jumping out with a nice spark. the trebles are there enough for Cedar top
Sound is round and focused, plenty of mid range in the notes
I suppose it is not very loud guitar compare to valencia style guitars, but still has plenty of dynamics and volume
Neck is thin and very comfortable
It has beautifull sustain, as always first string doesn't sustain like spruce guitars.
It looks absolutely gorgeous, The back and sides are beautiful solid Madagascar rosewood
The tuning pegs are lovely, I think they are made of ebony, That's not written in the website
intonation is perfect
20 frets
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ozeze on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:24 am

Hi all whilst I have not played the CL20, I own a Hermanos Camps Primera Negra-A spruce flamenco guitar and it is stupendous. It is so good that classical pieces sing off the intrument in spite of the handicaps of me as a player! Going by that and the care with which they make instruments I am sure the CL20 is a great purchase. The Camps guitars I have always found priced below the quality you get so they are super value for money. I remember when I bought my Primera Negra A I tried guitars 2-3 times as much and they couldnt match it.

I have played and nearly bought a Picado Concierto "Double Back" instrument which I found very playable and rich in tone. However I was told the tops can be very thin so when travelling around a lot it might be an issue.Not sure if the model 60 has the same issue (If you go with a Picado and they have used Brazilian Rosewood make sure you get the Cites certificate-the model I played didnt have one and the studio couldn't reproduce one which also discouraged me)

We are all curious to hear about your up and coming luthier. In the end the guitar chooses the player so I am sure you will go for the one the fits best with you and your style. Best of luck!
Juan De La Mancha Allegro 1980 Cedar
Loriente "Clarita" 2004 Spruce
Frederico Sheppard Barrios "Morant" 2010 Spruce
Hermanos Camps Primera Negra-A 2016 Spruce
Yulong Guo "Philharmonic" Double Top 2016 #01 Cedar French Polish

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:25 am

Gary Macleod wrote:I had one, very easy to play with a nice sound.

I'd buy six of them if that would get me the ability to play like that. Very nice.

dave
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:18 am

DaveLeeNC wrote:
Gary Macleod wrote:I had one, very easy to play with a nice sound.

I'd buy six of them if that would get me the ability to play like that. Very nice.

dave
Thanks

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”