Need suggestions on buying classical guitar

Ja Sam

Need suggestions on buying classical guitar

Postby Ja Sam » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:53 pm

Hello to all,

I need advice buying classical guitar, full sized, no cutaway, with electronics, that is very very resonant and "dark" sounding.
I could go up to 2000$, but for something special I could go a bit more.
I preffer cedar tops, and rosewood back and sides, but its not necessary, as long as it sounds how I want it to sound.
All advice is welcome...

English isnt my native language, so sorry for the mistakes... :D

dilettante1000

Re: Need suggestions on buying classical guitar

Postby dilettante1000 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:58 am

You can get a Burguet 3M or a range of others from London Guitar Shop. Other retailers also have some good guitars. Esteve, Camps, Alhambra all make electro-classical (but be aware they also offer crossovers, which have a much narrower neck, and are IMO not so fine in sound.

I have played some very fine Taylor and Lowden nylons, too, but the good ones are expensive.

Adam

Postby Adam » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:31 pm

Don't limit yourself to guitars with electronics already installed. You will probably have trouble finding the sound you want if you do. Pickup systems are easy enough to install, especially the soundhole type.

Ja Sam

Postby Ja Sam » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:31 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. :D

I should have explained better why I need electronics
They wont be used for classical guitar sound, that will come from the mic, thats why I need a full body ressonant guitar...
I plan to use the electronics for electric guitar sound or for some subtle effects from time to time.
So the "main" sound (classical guitar) will be coming 100% from the mic,
when I play electric (sort of) guitar sound its going to be mixed pretty evenly (lets say 60-40%),
and for some parts i will use electronics for the effects (like 10% of the signal).

I hope you understand :D

dilettante1000

Postby dilettante1000 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Ja Sam wrote:Thank you for your suggestions. :D

I should have explained better why I need electronics
They wont be used for classical guitar sound, that will come from the mic, thats why I need a full body ressonant guitar...
I plan to use the electronics for electric guitar sound or for some subtle effects from time to time.
So the "main" sound (classical guitar) will be coming 100% from the mic,
when I play electric (sort of) guitar sound its going to be mixed pretty evenly (lets say 60-40%),
and for some parts i will use electronics for the effects (like 10% of the signal).

I hope you understand :D

It sounds like what you are looking for is one of the Yamaha crossovers. I wouldn't describe the sound as 'rich', compared to an all-out concert classical, but certainly more resonant than a steel string. They also have the flexibility that you are looking for, and a good reputation for being good both in the recording studio and for live performance.

Ja Sam

Postby Ja Sam » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:12 pm

Thank you for your reply, but that is what I wanted to avoid... If flexibility was a priority I would probably get a godin multiac and get it over with... XD
The biggest problem I have is finding one with electronics and without a cutaway...
All the amplified guitars i found (under 7000+$ xD) had a cutaway, or were thinline...
Priority is that it sound great acoustically, since most of the time 90+% of the signal is going to be coming from the mic.

I thought about getting a classical guitar and electronics seperately, but it seems that all the best systems (like fishman something blend?) require the guitar to be cut in the process of instalation... :(

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:56 pm

Ja Sam wrote:The biggest problem I have is finding one with electronics and without a cutaway...

Is there a specific reason why you do not want a cutaway?

If someone played 10 decent guitars, 5 regular and 5 cutaway, (not playing past the 12th position), I would be extremely surprised if people listening blind would be able to identifying which had cutaways and which didn't. The difference should be minimal? The reason I mention 12th position is simply because once there is a cutaway some might be more fluid when improvising past the 12th and this change in playing might be noticeable. When discussions arise here about cutaway vs non-cutaway the consensus is generally that "all other things being equal" (which they never are) there should be little or no difference.

If you have already played a range of cutaway guitars and discovered that they are very different then ignore this comment. A good way of testing would be to go to a major music fair and see what is on offer.

Ja Sam

Postby Ja Sam » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:35 pm

well my priority is resonant and dark tone, and it seems cutaway guitars lack in both compared to full sized classical guitars.
I can cover it up with preamp, but i would really like to use natural acoustic guitar sound as much as possible, and add to it subtly with processed sound.

brian

Postby brian » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:40 pm

Ja Sam,

check out Bartlett clip on mics. i have one.
they sound excellent/neutral, are smaller than
you pinky fingernail, and can deal
with pretty high volumes before feeding back.
i think they're about $179-$199 now.
if at first you don't succeed try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

Philosopherguy

Postby Philosopherguy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:31 am

You could get a Ramirez 4NE that would fit all of your descriptions with electronics. But, it might not fit in your current budget. I saw a 4NE with the fishman matrix infinity electronics for around 2258euro's from a guitar seller online. It has a cedar top and is a dark sounding guitar with a great classic tone and comes with numerous options for electronics(there were a few fisherman options or another brand - the price goes up depending on the option.. you can even get it midi). But, it might be more then you wanted to spend. It would be a good option though if you want opinions.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Peter5

Postby Peter5 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:26 pm

Ja Sam, have you made a choice yet ? Just interested... Thx

kramer733

Postby kramer733 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:18 pm

You can buy a luthier made guitar from this person here. She lives in Canada and she's supposedly an up and coming luthier. http://www.emilyshawguitar.ca/building/

Ja Sam

Postby Ja Sam » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:49 pm

Well not a 100%, but I think I will just wait and find a good used classical guitar (since I could get a really good one) and buy electronics separately...
I dont think I will find one with electronics (certainly not used) that I like in my country (Serbia),
so i think its a better idea to buy a good classical and order some electronics with what money I have left.
Also i noticed that prices for used classical guitars are far better than prices for used electric, steel string acoustics, amps... :D

I will keep trying some guitars with electronics while I wait, but since there are only godin, yamaha and ramirez brand classical guitars, and not that many models in my price range, I really dont think I will find something. :(

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”