what makes the guitar easy to play ????

maher sham

what makes the guitar easy to play ????

Postby maher sham » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:40 am

Does anyone know what part of guitar constructing makes the classical guitar easy to play ???? is it the neck or the bidge or what ???

Yisrael van Handel

Re: what makes the guitar easy to play ????

Postby Yisrael van Handel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:51 am

Nothing makes the guitar easy to play. It is a difficult instrument that requires acquiring many skills to become an intermediate amateur. The instrument can make it harder if the action is too high, the intonation is not accurate or the tone is poor. But the instrument cannot make it easier.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

rinneby

Postby rinneby » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:37 pm

It's a matter of taste really. You need to try many different guitars to see whats suits you. Normal or low tension strings as well as lower action can help some, but thats only a small part of the equation.

/Jon
1965 Masaru Kono No.5
1972 Yamaha GC3D
1983 Ryoji Matsuoka M50
1999 Masaki Sakurai Concert-J
2015 Amalio Burguet 1A Limited Series

And then some more...

riffmeister

Postby riffmeister » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:39 pm

Hmmm. Let's see. Here are some of variables I've considered:

String height
String tension
String spacing at nut and bridge
Width of the neck
Thickness of the neck
Shape of the back of the neck
Amount of relief in the neck
Fretboard radius
Fret size and shape
Scale length

And I also find that increased amounts of practice make the guitar easier to play. :)

Pat Dodson

Postby Pat Dodson » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:46 pm

Yisrael is of course right. Assuming the OP question is about playability, well there are many factors which are largely but not exclusively located around the neck:

scale length and possibly body size and plantilla shape
neck width, depth and profile;
fretboard profile (flat vs radiussed);
fret height and shape and finish;
string spacing at nut and bridge;
how well nut is cut and smoothed;
finish on neck (e.g. oil, French polish or varnish);
possibly fretboard wood and finish;
action height affected by nut, bridge profile and height, saddle height and neck angle and relief;
raised fretboard or body cutaway;
string tension and type;
intonation affected by many of the above, whether nut and saddle are compensated and smooth working tuners;
bevelled edge to top and side or armrest.

I'm sure there are other factors too. However there is no set of dimensions or factors that suits everyone; it's a very individual matter is playability. Although other guitarists might helpfully advise on generalities, really the only way to know what suits you individually is to play a wide variety of guitars which vary on the factors above and note the elements and dimensions on those guitars whose playability you enjoy.

Edit: I see Riff and @rinneby have beaten me to it. :)

bear

Postby bear » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:15 pm

maher sham wrote:Does anyone know what part of guitar constructing makes the classical guitar easy to play ???? is it the neck or the bidge or what ???

I think if you apply an ample dose of talent any guitar would sound good or appear easy (i.e. Seasick Steve). Since, I've never had any talent.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-vSZFEWHlo
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

JohnB

Postby JohnB » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:28 pm

What makes the guitar easy to play?

If you find out - please let me know.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

rinneby

Postby rinneby » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:31 pm

JohnB wrote:What makes the guitar easy to play?

If you find out - please let me know.

:)
1965 Masaru Kono No.5
1972 Yamaha GC3D
1983 Ryoji Matsuoka M50
1999 Masaki Sakurai Concert-J
2015 Amalio Burguet 1A Limited Series

And then some more...

astro64

Postby astro64 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:49 pm

There are some differences, as the lists above demonstrate, but I wouldn't go overboard on worrying about this. Principal factors: proper action at 12th fret, nut slots set correctly to make barring in lower positions easy, not too much neck relief (which makes it harder to play from frets 4 to 10), frets properly crowned, guitar plays in tune across the fretboard. Neck shape is individual, I don't notice too much difference, I have guitars with flat D-shaped to rounded C-shaped necks and can't really say I have a strong preference. But I have long fingers, it may matter more to others. Then are the intangibles. Some guitars just need a lot more care to produce the best tone and are more susceptible to left hand noise etc. Those are often the most responsive instruments. A responsive guitar is wonderful, it makes it easy to produce sound, but that may not make them easier to play overall, because they can be very sensitive to finger nail shape, attack, need to dampen, etc compared to a lesser guitar. Another intangible is that some guitars will feel stiff and others more compliant and that affects how the right hand feels. But that takes experience so for newer players, the principle factors are action, relief, and intonation.

AndreiKrylov

Postby AndreiKrylov » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:57 pm

maher sham wrote:Does anyone know what part of guitar constructing makes the classical guitar easy to play ???? is it the neck or the bidge or what ???

For me - good precise work of luthier , low action without buzz and great beautiful inspiring sound.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Yisrael van Handel

Postby Yisrael van Handel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:55 am

Another thought on this subject. Don't spend big money on a guitar until you can answer this question yourself. In the meantime, to get started, have someone knowledgeable guide you to a reasonably priced factory-made guitar with tolerable sound, easy action, no buzzing, with good intonation. I have no idea where you are, but since your name is good Arabic, I will assume that you are a neighbor here in the Middle East. In that case, you will find the selection quite limited, and your teacher or any SERIOUS guitarist that you happen to know should be able to help you with the few choices that are available for a decent first guitar.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

maher sham

Postby maher sham » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:13 am

Yisrael van Handel wrote:

Another thought on this subject. Don't spend big money on a guitar until you can answer this question yourself. In the meantime, to get started, have someone knowledgeable guide you to a reasonably priced factory-made guitar with tolerable sound, easy action, no buzzing, with good intonation. I have no idea where you are, but since your name is good Arabic, I will assume that you are a neighbor here in the Middle East. In that case, you will find the selection quite limited, and your teacher or any SERIOUS guitarist that you happen to know should be able to help you with the few choices that are available for a decent first guitar.

thank you for helping ... actually I'm from Syria and we don't have so many options for classical guitars ... Yamaha c40 .. Alhambra and cort are the only brands we have here so the internet is my only help right now ... I'm interested in the Juan Hernandez concierto ... it has a lot of good reviews for both price and quality ... a lot of people admire its playability ... do you recommend any brand or any specific model that would help ???

Yisrael van Handel

Postby Yisrael van Handel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:54 am

maher sham wrote:... actually I'm from Syria and we don't have so many options for classical guitars ... ... do you recommend any brand or any specific model that would help ???

Wow, you really are next door!! If you are asking me to advise you, I am not the right person. There are many people on the forum who know much more about buying guitars than I do. Once you have a guitar, I might be able to give you some ideas what to do next.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Evocacion

Postby Evocacion » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:28 pm

riffmeister wrote:
And I also find that increased amounts of practice make the guitar easier to play. :)

+1
:lol: :lol:

Douglass Scott
Luthier

Postby Douglass Scott » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:55 pm

The size & depth of the body affect playability too - can be pretty dramatic.

When you sit to play you want to be relaxed and some body size will allow you to sit centered so you are not leaning one way or another, and will allow your arms to be in a more ergonomic position not held at unduly awkward angles. But this takes some experience and trying several guitars to understand.

This was good advice: Yisrael van Handel said "Don't spend big money on a guitar until you can answer this question yourself. In the meantime, to get started, have someone knowledgeable guide you to a reasonably priced factory-made guitar with tolerable sound, easy action, no buzzing, with good intonation."

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”