what makes the guitar easy to play ????

johnG

Re: what makes the guitar easy to play ????

Post by johnG » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:08 pm

lots of practice

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:17 pm

johnG wrote:lots of practice
Ha ... You beat me to it!
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:15 pm

Let me respectfully add, that the choice of strings that would be best for certain guitar may make the instrument easier to play.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

Tadw16

Post by Tadw16 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:23 pm

If you are serious about getting a good guitar in the best playable condition, here tis. Set the action where your are most comfortable then have the fret board 'Plecked' or plexed (not sure about the spelling). Joe Glasser in Nashville Tn can do the magic.
Tad Williams

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:36 pm

for me the sound feedback from a guitar can make it seem easier or harder to play...this goes beyond the physical aspects of a guitar

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:43 pm

Tadw16 wrote:If you are serious about getting a good guitar in the best playable condition, here tis. Set the action where your are most comfortable then have the fret board 'Plecked' or plexed (not sure about the spelling). Joe Glasser in Nashville Tn can do the magic.
Hi. Have you had this done on a classical? A few months ago there was a thread about it

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=105095

but there was only a very small sample of CG players who'd had it done to a CG and some folk doubted that it could make much difference. What's been your experience?

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:37 pm

Tim522 wrote:for me the sound feedback from a guitar can make it seem easier or harder to play...this goes beyond the physical aspects of a guitar
It's nice to hear someone mention this aspect, because it's usually ignored. The ultimate playability is only as good as the sensitivity and response capabilities of the guitar, once all the other things are adjusted - nut, saddle, neck relief, fret crowning, etc, etc.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:15 pm

I agree with the above ... it's all about the response, i.e. how hard you have to work to pull a nice sound out.

Any discussion of playability should start from the baseline of a properly designed and setup guitar. Of course a guitar with high action, warped neck, poor intonation, etc will not be easy to play.

robert e

Post by robert e » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:28 pm

I agree as well. Since a large portion of the effort of learning and playing classical guitar goes to producing good tone, all other things being equal, the guitar that responds better to such effort is by definition easier to play. But also, by definition, that's difficult for a beginner to assess. And a beginner also wants a somewhat forgiving instrument. Experienced hands and ears are very helpful here.

In general, I agree that one should not spend "big money" on a first guitar, but "big money" means different things to different people. The important part of that advice is that it takes time to learn what you personally need and want from an instrument, and even that may change. To me, that makes used guitars very attractive. Generally, new musical instruments lose value alarmingly quickly, from day one. A good used guitar, however, bought for a fair price, will lose little value if it's treated well. And in some areas the used market will offer more choices. Again, experienced advice is helpful. If that's not handy, people do come to this forum for help evaluating a specific guitar. That's nowhere near as useful as hands-on advice, but it may help you avoid a mistake.

You'll notice that members buy and sell guitars on this forum, and are not shy about judging the offerings and prices. You may get lucky and find a sale close to you.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:16 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:Let me respectfully add, that the choice of strings that would be best for certain guitar may make the instrument easier to play.
+1
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

Jae Lee

Post by Jae Lee » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:29 am

Obviously, there are guitars that are easier to play. With the same model, some guitars are easier to playthan othes, in spite of the fact that the action is about the same, all others factors ( neck thickness, nut width, etc) are the same. Then, it's a mystery. So, the only way is to try the guitar before buying it.
In my opinion (you may strongly disagree with this), string tension doesn't affect playability much. Of course, your hands feel tight with high tenstion. But it doesn't mean switching to low tension can solve the problem of your guitar's playability. Low action doesn't guarantee good playability. I saw some guitars with high action are surprisingly easy to play. I also saw some guitars with low action are surprisingly difficult to play.
The previous posts all mentioned the factors that affect playability. I'm not going to repeat here.
When I think my guitar is hard to play, I do the followings.
1) lower nut height. Most factory guitars have high nut.
2) lower the saddle.
1) and 2) are what all of us usually do: set-up.
3) level the frets: frets affect playability more then we usually believe. Even though there are no high frets, or no buzzings, I sometims do fret work to improve playability. Here, for example, I often modify neck relief, or I sand down treble frets or base frets more to achieve height balance (or tension balance) which improve left hand bar position. Fret leveling and crowning require a lot of experiences, but once you learn them, you ll be happy until you die, saving a lot of money. Especially most old guitars need fret leveling and crowning. So when you buy old guitars, be careful!
4) if 1),2),3) don't work well, throw away your guitar. (I'm not a luthier, so I can't modify neck shape, fretboard shape, neck angle, re-freting etc.)

Jae Lee

Post by Jae Lee » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:30 am

Obviously, there are guitars that are easier to play. With the same model, some guitars are easier to playthan othes, in spite of the fact that the action is about the same, all others factors ( neck thickness, nut width, etc) are the same. Then, it's a mystery. So, the only way is to try the guitar before buying it.
In my opinion (you may strongly disagree with this), string tension doesn't affect playability much. Of course, your hands feel tight with high tenstion. But it doesn't mean switching to low tension can solve the problem of your guitar's playability. Low action doesn't guarantee good playability. I saw some guitars with high action are surprisingly easy to play. I also saw some guitars with low action are surprisingly difficult to play.
The previous posts all mentioned the factors that affect playability. I'm not going to repeat here.
When I think my guitar is hard to play, I do the followings.
1) lower nut height. Most factory guitars have high nut.
2) lower the saddle.
1) and 2) are what all of us usually do: set-up.
3) level the frets: frets affect playability more then we usually believe. Even though there are no high frets, or no buzzings, I sometims do fret work to improve playability. Here, for example, I often modify neck relief, or I sand down treble frets or base frets more to achieve height balance (or tension balance) which improve left hand bar position. Fret leveling and crowning require a lot of experiences, but once you learn them, you ll be happy until you die, saving a lot of money. Especially most old guitars need fret leveling and crowning. So when you buy old guitars, be careful!
4) if 1),2),3) don't work well, throw away your guitar. (I'm not a luthier, so I can't modify neck shape, fretboard shape, neck angle, re-freting etc.)

Tadw16

Post by Tadw16 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:17 pm

I have had electric and steel string acoustics "plecked'. the results were amazing. I am going to to have my TP30 Pavan, plecked sometime in January (as soon my schedule allows and Glasser Guitar Shop can get to it). I am currently working the action down to where I want it to be, by sanding the under side of saddle down in increments. When I am happy with the action I will have it plecked. I will keep you updated.
Tad Williams

janepaints

Post by janepaints » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:40 pm

A hugely-inflated sense of one's own talent and skills, plus an immense ego and a healthy excess of narcissism (along with tone-deafness, attention deficit disorder and daily substance abuse) makes the guitar remarkable easy to play! [see: 'rage-core heavy metal music'] :)

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:44 pm

Technique and skill...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”