New Or Secondhand?

Montgomery

New Or Secondhand?

Post by Montgomery » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:27 pm

Hi, I want to purchase another guitar for around £1500.00. The question is should I look for a new one or secondhand one, what's your thoughts please? I'm not sure which way to go.

dandan

Re: New Or Secondhand?

Post by dandan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:35 pm

You will get a lot better value 2nd hand. £1500 on the 2nd hand market can get you an excellent concert grade guitar, whereas you're looking at a mid-range, student level factory guitar new. However, you have to know what you're looking at on the second hand market as its easy to get burned if you don't have the knowledge. Take your time and do your research, you can get a bargain.
1962 Masaru Kono
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:36 pm

dandan wrote:You will get a lot better value 2nd hand. £1500 on the 2nd hand market can get you an excellent concert grade guitar, whereas you're looking at mid-range, student level factory guitar new. However, you have to know what you're looking at on the second hand market as its easy to get burned if you don't have the knowledge. Take your time and do your research, you can get a bargain.
+1
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:37 pm

If you are really knowledgeable about how to assess the condition of guitars and are able to go see a guitar and play it for a reasonable period (or have it on approval) and you are confident in the trustworthiness of the seller then most secondhand guitars at your price-point will give you more for your money than buying new. Depending on age of guitar, condition and whether you buy privately or from a dealer then you might be purchasing a guitar that is equivalent to a new one costing £2,000 to £3,000 or more. So buying secondhand for £1500 could get you a very fine instrument.

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:42 pm

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it. My knowledge is fine with electric guitars and I would be confident in the secondhand market with those but not so confident in this market.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:56 pm

I agree with what others have said but would add that there are two common routes to buying used:

- Buying from one of the established classical guitar dealers in the U.K. Benefits: they are very reputable, the guitars are much less likely to have serious problems (though, of course, one should carefully check), the dealers will stock a range of instruments which will help in comparisons. Drawbacks: the prices are significantly higher than with private sellers, sometimes even approaching the price of a new instrument by the same maker.

- Buying from a private buyer. Benefits: there is the potential to buy a good instrument at a very good price. Drawbacks: you are completely on your own. Ideally you should be able to assess the guitar in person. If you can't do that it is a bit of a gamble - it can work out very well but you need to take into account the possibility of fraud, the guitar not being as described, problems with the instrument, etc.
Last edited by JohnB on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:57 pm

Montgomery wrote:Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it. My knowledge is fine with electric guitars and I would be confident in the secondhand market with those but not so confident in this market.
Well there's a lot less to go wrong with a used classical than with a used electric!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:05 pm

While I agree with almost all that @JohnB says above, I think you will struggle to find a classical guitar dealer with many secondhand classical guitars at around the £1500 price point. New, yes but to find more than the odd secondhand one at a CG dealer (except possibly London Guitar Studio) I guess you'll need another £1,000 or more. Actually if you can run to that then there are 4 or 5 probably superb guitars for sale via this forum, all I think from sellers with excellent reputations.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:43 pm

Montgomery wrote:Hi, I want to purchase another guitar for around £1500.00. The question is should I look for a new one or secondhand one, what's your thoughts please? I'm not sure which way to go.
Well you could pretty much have both if you bought my Picado model 62 cedar double top advertised here.
Last edited by Gary Macleod on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:50 pm

Not sure how much the Kent Classics Cadenza is going for these days but they are excellent if you need to buy new. I tried one myself and was very impressed; a hand-made luthier instrument for a fraction of the price.

I know many people cite value as a major influence when buying, but sometimes having something which has been "yours" from new is equally important to some.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:54 pm

markodarko wrote:Not sure how much the Kent Classics Cadenza is going for these days but they are excellent if you need to buy new. I tried one myself and was very impressed; a hand-made luthier instrument for a fraction of the price.

I know many people cite value as a major influence when buying, but sometimes having something which has been "yours" from new is equally important to some.
£1,600 (without a case) plus VAT = £1920

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:45 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:£1,600 (without a case) plus VAT = £1920
Thank you, Sir Pat. Perhaps a bit out of the OP's price range but maybe worth stretching to if a new guitar is what's preferred. Can't think of anything in that price range that would compete new, really. Can you, sir?
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Every individual guitar is different, so it's impossible to definitively say there is a best brand/model at a certain price point.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:35 pm

markodarko wrote:
Pat Dodson wrote:£1,600 (without a case) plus VAT = £1920
Thank you, Sir Pat. Perhaps a bit out of the OP's price range but maybe worth stretching to if a new guitar is what's preferred. Can't think of anything in that price range that would compete new, really. Can you, sir?
No, if you look with your ears it'd be pretty hard to top it I guess though I take Adam's point about individual guitars (and individual tastes of course.) Well worth listening to the sample on Kent Guitar Classics' site. Very impressive.

dandan

Post by dandan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:40 pm

Whereabouts in the UK are you? If you're anywhere near the Northwest Nugent guitars have a few around your price point which would be worth checking out.
1962 Masaru Kono
1969 Rokutaro Nakade A9
1966 Sakazo Nakade model D
1977 Aria AG80

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”