New Or Secondhand?

Pat Dodson

Re: New Or Secondhand?

Post by Pat Dodson » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:13 pm

Adam wrote:
Montgomery wrote:I notice that James Lister has a Spruce 2014 for £2295.00 and I'm seriously considering contacting him.
Now yer talkin' ... :twisted:
+1

James is a great guy (I recently collected a Spruce and Maple guitar that I commissioned from him.) I have not seen this particular guitar that he has for sale but I have seen and heard 3 others and they were all outstanding. I recommend him highly.

bchi123

Post by bchi123 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:37 am

+2

Buying used gives you more bang for the buck. But in constrast, buying a new instrument allows you to grow with the instrument. In my experience, I've enjoyed my time seeing my new guitars sound change and continue to.
When words leave off, music begins. ~Heinrich Heine

ScottPhillips

Post by ScottPhillips » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:38 am

Lots on e - b a y, but you can't play em first. Oh, and the shipping will kill ya!

ScottPhillips

Post by ScottPhillips » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:46 am

Second hand is great, also if you find one at a dealer, and it's been there a long time, you could possibly get a new guitar at less than used prices. I jut did two days ago. A Ramirez R4 brand new for $2200 US. Used ones were going for 2300 to2500. The guitar had been hanging up there since 2011, and the dealer was motivated to sell. Luckily for me there aren't many people interested in nylon string guitars. And, good ones are hard to find in my area because there is so little interest in CG here. I saw lone sell on Reverb for 2000 US. It was used though and had dings.

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:46 pm

I just lived through this looking for a concert cedar top and looked at both new and secondhand with a view to get a good value for money second hand. I tend to interact with trusted retailers whose advice I value and I find the good ones will not just try to sell you the most expensive but what is right for you. I enjoyed just following where the search took me even if I detoured from my objective. This meant I first found a lovely Picado Concert 2010 but in Spruce that I would have bought but they didn't have the Cites documentation that I would have needed when moving to live in NYC which is a possibility. I then found a lovely 2014 Ramirez Cedar, and a 2015 French Pappalardo Cedar. I was about to go with the Pappalardo when the shop showed me a new Yulong Guo Chamber Concert Guitar Spruce.It really loved it and was about to go with that , then asked the fatal question-anything I should try before I make the purchase that could be a match for this? They then said there is a special Yulong Guo Cedar Double Top guitar that is specially commissioned , the Philharmonic model with Cedar top.It had just come to the shop and was labelled 2016 #01. I had not heard of this model elsewhere and I have subsequently found out that many dealers are not even able to get hold of this model. It was the most exquisite thing I had ever played and though out of my budget I had that instinctive connect and bought it. I cant stop playing it now. So I would say also to you to go and try a number of guitars whether new or secondhand, be guided by reputable dealers and enjoy the ride! I am sure you will fund a great model at the end.
Juan De La Mancha Allegro 1980 Cedar
Loriente "Clarita" 2004 Spruce
Frederico Sheppard Barrios "Morant" 2010 Spruce
Hermanos Camps Primera Negra-A 2016 Spruce
Yulong Guo "Philharmonic" Double Top 2016 #01 Cedar French Polish

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:38 pm

"I am sure you will fund a great model in the end."

Ain't that the truth? :mrgreen:

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:12 pm

! Sometimes typos reveal deep truths!! Find usually will indeed lead to fund for our guitar obsessions indeed....

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:04 pm

Bodhi, which dealer did you go to?

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:31 am

Ive bought my guitars from London Guitar Studio, Ivor Mairants, and Guitar Salon International.

vigmostad

Post by vigmostad » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:57 pm

I second the Kent guitar classics Cadenza model at £1600. I have had mine for a month or so and couldn't be more happy.

Django

Post by Django » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:46 am

As most people seem to agree on this thread, second hand is the way to go if you do your research beforehand about what you are buying, I would add to that, take along a friend who plays if you can. Always worth a second opinion in guitar buying and they can play the guitar so you can hear if from the audience point of view.

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:50 pm

I made a purchase today! I went up to Sheffield to see James Lister and I purchased the 2014 Spruce he had for sale here on Delcamp. It is a wonderful instrument and I am extremely pleased with it. Oh, and James is a really nice guy as well, I even had a peek in his workshop. :D

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:13 pm

Montgomery wrote:I made a purchase today! I went up to Sheffield to see James Lister and I purchased the 2014 Spruce he had for sale here on Delcamp. It is a wonderful instrument and I am extremely pleased with it. Oh, and James is a really nice guy as well, I even had a peek in his workshop. :D
Congratulations!! James does indeed make great guitars. May you have many happy years playing it.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:18 pm

Montgomery wrote:I made a purchase today! I went up to Sheffield to see James Lister and I purchased the 2014 Spruce he had for sale here on Delcamp. It is a wonderful instrument and I am extremely pleased with it. Oh, and James is a really nice guy as well, I even had a peek in his workshop. :D
Congratulations on the new guitar!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:22 pm

Congrats! A Happy Halloween gift to yourself. :twisted:

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”