Westwood Esteva Guitars

charlesduffy

Westwood Esteva Guitars

Post by charlesduffy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:04 pm

Greetings everyone,

Has anyone ever seen or played one of these? They are available online from several outlets. They appear to be Esteve guitars, perhaps seconds? But they are much less expensive. What appears to be the Esteve 7sr (solid wood model with solid IR sides and back) are now selling under $400. I just took a long shot at a Westwood model 3Z (identical to the Esteve 3z) for $179 shipped.

Thoughts....

Happy playing

charlesduffy

Re: Westwood Esteva Guitars

Post by charlesduffy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:30 pm

My Guitar Came Today!

Surprised no one responded to my post. I received my Westwood 3z model today and am very pleased. Cost was an unbelievable $179 shipped. Label verifies that it was made in Spain and is identical to the Esteve 3Z which retails for $600-700 here in the states. It is in perfect, new condition as advertised and is absolutely beautiful. The back and sides are incredible laminated Ziricote, with a cedar top. This is a very light guitar and plays quite easily. Intonation is very good across the range. Basses are surprisingly loud with very good sustain. Trebles are crisp and clean, although I would like a bit more sustain in the upper range. Balance is very good. I think it is set up with light strings , so I will probably try with medium Corums just to see if there is a difference. Tuners are typical chrome with pearl knobs and seem to work quite smoothly.

Bottom line, I got exactly what I wanted, a guitar with good intonation, reasonable volume and sustain, musical nuance and while I'm a little embarrassed to say it, an instrument that is beautiful to look at as well. This guitar would carry any student a long way. I do not know if any of these are still available. I found mine at Reverb, and also saw them listed on e - b a y.

Happy Playing!

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:56 pm

Congratulations on the new guitar! Regarding no one responding to your post, it is likely that many people just haven't heard of them yet. There are so many brands that seem to come and go. It is hard to keep up!

I hope the guitar plays well and will keep you for a while! These student models guitars can sound good. As long as it plays well or can be adjusted to play well then it can last you for quite a while before you get the itch to upgrade! hahaha. Guitar acquisition is something of a hobby around here to most of us forum members.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Jae Lee

Post by Jae Lee » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:11 pm

It's amazing that you got a good quality Spain- made guitar with $179 these days. It was possible in the past, not now. We should appropriate Westwood Esteva brand guitars.

Jae Lee

Post by Jae Lee » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:24 pm

I just checked up Reverb. I feel like buying Westwood Esteva All solid model if, as you claimed, it is identical to Esteve 7sr. Are you sure Westwood Esteva is made by Esteve? Any indication on the label?

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:00 pm

Very strange. Apparently it is the Esteve 3Z, Ziricote and all. But even a second has to be more than $179 - and shipped. Something here is weird. I found the Esteve 3Z online for $745. Now how can even a second be $179?

I cannot find the Esteva 3Z on Reverb, or anywhere else, not even on the Westwood site. Interestingly they have an Esteva "Sonata" model for $99 shipped that they claim has a solid spruce top. What?! And the have an "Artesano" model for $399. But no 3Z.

1) Could you post or send PM a link to where and how you bought this Esteva 3Z for $179.

2) Could you tell us about the action. Is it too high, which happens frequently, or is it typical classical guitar action.

Ramon
Last edited by Ramon Amira on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

charlesduffy

Post by charlesduffy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:11 pm

I think I purchased the last Esteva 3Z. Right now all that seems to be available is the less expensive and the all solid model which I think is the Esteve model model 7sr.

charlesduffy

Post by charlesduffy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:20 pm

Ramon,

I purchased through Reverb. The action is wonderful. My belief is that Esteve sold a run of guitars to West Music and labelled them Westwood Guitars. I believe these are the last of that run although I have no way of knowing. I can not find anything to suggest that these were seconds, not in set up or finish. The Westwood label does say coo Spain (country of origin Spain).

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:08 pm

charlesduffy wrote:My Guitar Came Today!

Surprised no one responded to my post. I received my Westwood 3z model today and am very pleased. Cost was an unbelievable $179 shipped. Label verifies that it was made in Spain and is identical to the Esteve 3Z which retails for $600-700 here in the states. It is in perfect, new condition as advertised and is absolutely beautiful. The back and sides are incredible laminated Ziricote, with a cedar top. This is a very light guitar and plays quite easily. Intonation is very good across the range. Basses are surprisingly loud with very good sustain. Trebles are crisp and clean, although I would like a bit more sustain in the upper range. Balance is very good. I think it is set up with light strings , so I will probably try with medium Corums just to see if there is a difference. Tuners are typical chrome with pearl knobs and seem to work quite smoothly.

Bottom line, I got exactly what I wanted, a guitar with good intonation, reasonable volume and sustain, musical nuance and while I'm a little embarrassed to say it, an instrument that is beautiful to look at as well. This guitar would carry any student a long way. I do not know if any of these are still available. I found mine at Reverb, and also saw them listed on e - b a y.

Happy Playing!
You took the chance and you have what you want...congratulations!
Höfner HLE-SAZ
Kremona Fiesta FC

CG-phile

Post by CG-phile » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:38 am

I purchased the Westwood Esteva Sonata in cedar and can attest that these are in fact Esteve guitars shipped in Esteve packaging. Except for the label, the Sonata model is identical to the Esteve Mod. 1 (formerly model 1GR01).

It's worth noting that the Ron Fernandez 'Valencia' model by Esteve is very similar in construction to the Esteve Mod. 1 and serves as an example of a special production run out of the Esteve workshop. It is also my belief that these Westwood Esteva guitars are yet another example of a special production run made for West Music.

As for the deep discounts, I noticed these guitars have been listed since Dec. 15, 2015 and West Music may be simply trying to move them out of their inventory. I personally don't suspect anything weird going on here.
"Classical guitar... my escape from everyday technocentrism!"

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:11 pm

Does anybody know about the higher end model for under 400$? Solid Indian Rosewood, and Spruce top...seems like a good deal even if it doesn't sound perfect, for a budget guitar that seems impressive.

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:22 pm

MessyTendon wrote:Does anybody know about the higher end model for under 400$? Solid Indian Rosewood, and Spruce top...seems like a good deal even if it doesn't sound perfect, for a budget guitar that seems impressive.
Well, if you accept the premise that these are just custom-branded Esteve guitars, this one sure looks a lot like the Esteve model 8. So it does seem like a very good deal!
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:31 pm

These have been mentioned in at least one other thread now. I can confirm that the Westwood Esteva Artesano is a re-branded Esteve 8. My conjecture is that they may be factory seconds with minor finish flaws, but that's just a guess. Only one spruce top left from what I can tell.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

CG-phile

Post by CG-phile » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:07 pm

SeanWinkler wrote:My conjecture is that they may be factory seconds with minor finish flaws, but that's just a guess.
The Sonata I purchased had no flaws nor any other indication that it was a factory second. The OP also indicated as much.
"Classical guitar... my escape from everyday technocentrism!"

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:15 pm

The Artesano does have a few flaws, including an one under the finish (something that would have been obvious at the factory). Maybe it's just luck of the draw? Still a great bargain.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”