Re: Westwood Esteva Guitars

Post by Debussychopin » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:16 am

Someone nabbed it.

Finally

Yamaha GL1

PeteD

Post by PeteD » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Yes....someone did nab it! And I thought it was me.

Did the transaction on Reverb last night, did the paypal transaction, and thought that I found a great deal on an otherwise nice Esteve...even if it was a blem or a B-stock due to finish issues, I was pretty excited.

Then this morning I saw that I was refunded my purchase price. Seems like someone quicker than me nabbed it from the store this weekend and they had not pulled the remaining one down from the site yet.

If it seems to good to be true.........

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:20 pm

Well, yes, you never know.

It may well have ended up to be a mediocre sounding guitar from an avg typical Spanish factory made to similar specs as the well known Esteve, and it would have just been another valuable 300 dollars down the drain. That is how I like to look at it

Or

It could have been exactly like an Esteve 8 in feel, looks, playability, durability and soulful sound. ...

Then I would really slap myself in the face!

Yamaha GL1

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:50 pm

I bought the last cedar one before Christmas. These are just relabeled Esteve 8 guitars. Literally. I was able to pull up the corner of the Westwood label to see the original Esteve label underneath. So well worth the risk in this case. I tried to snap up a spruce as well, but had the same experience as PeteD. The purchase was refunded this morning after they sold out in store over the weekend.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

PeteD

Post by PeteD » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:37 pm

And I just slapped my face....

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:24 am

Slap my face too please.

Yamaha GL1

PeteD

Post by PeteD » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:37 am

Well, at least a couple of good forum members got a hold of these deals. Good on you guys!

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:13 am

We'll just have to wait till someone decides to place a "Westwood Ramiraz" sticker over a brand new Ramirez 1A and sell it for $300.

Yamaha GL1

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Really just a question of risk tolerance. In this case, I felt like I had sufficient info to take the risk. Sometimes you get bitten, sometimes you luck out. The biggest risk in my mind was the fact that it was shipped without a case or humidifier (though double-boxed) during a fairly cold snap. Fortunately, it survived the journey just fine.

This guitar will likely find its way into the hands of a local student who is looking for an affordable upgrade, which was my hope when I bought it.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

robert e

Post by robert e » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:43 pm

Well, between this and the recent batch of "Miguel Rosales" a.k.a. Manuel Rodriquez guitars (a whole different quality tier, yes, but still...), I think we're at least alerted to a practice that we can keep an eye out for in future.

I wonder if this is a seasonal thing, to clear inventories at the end of the year? Perhaps combined with CITES panic? Anyone recall similar grey market dumping in the past?

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”