Yamaha GC82S

Beowulf

Yamaha GC82S

Post by Beowulf » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:29 pm

I have an order in for a GC82S (will have to wait 8 months for delivery) and have a few questions.

First, a little background: My 1971 GC10 (662mm scale) was the top of Yamaha’s line (1967-1971), however it came with the action set at 5mm(E1) and 6mm(E6) which was pretty high and hard on the hands. I didn’t realize this was an issue until about 25 years ago when I “discovered” I could lower the action. I made a new bone saddle and dropped the action by 1mm...4mm(E1) & 5mm(E6). It was easier to play, however I had to go to EHT strings to get the volume I wanted without buzzing. I knew I couldn’t go lower.

I have ordered a GC82S and it should be easier on my hands with the lower action (E1: 1/8" (3.1750 mm) and E6: 5/32" (3.97mm), as well as having a bigger voice and greater dynamic range.

My questions:

1. Will I need to use EHT strings to get the volume and dynamics I would like with the GC82S...or will hard tension suffice? On a related matter if the guitar is set up for HT strings, will it be a problem to try EHT strings? The Yamaha dealer informed me that, "adding EHT strings after it is setup with another gauge will change the string height." This implies that a guitar must be set up for particular string tension...will using EHT strings on a guitar set up for HT strings raise or lower the action?

2. Will the Cedro neck be strong enough to handle Extra Hard Tension strings without warping?

3. Is it possible to have the spruce top stained when using a shellac finish? It is rather white/yellow compared to my GC10 and although I prefer the sound of Spruce to Cedar I think a light stain might look better. Of course my GC10 is very dark and after 43 years, it may simply be what I have become accustomed to:
GC82S with case.jpg
GC10 Top.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Adam

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Adam » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:07 pm

Staining should be done by the Yamaha luthiers before finishing. The dealer should be able to add that request to your custom order.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:12 pm

Adam wrote:Staining should be done by the Yamaha luthiers before finishing. The dealer should be able to add that request to your custom order.
Thanks Adam...I'll keep that in mind.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:23 pm

Congratulations on ordering the Yamaha. I am sure it is going to be an amazing guitar.

You sure you would want to alter what they normally do? I think the guitar looks beautiful as it is! The light top and dark back make for a nice contrasting guitar. If you get it stained, you run the risk of not really enjoying the colour. It looks like an amazing guitar and, from what I have heard, the finish on the 82's is immaculate and done over a very long period of time to be perfect.

My old 1971 Yamaha GC-3 has an awful colour to it! hahaha.. My wife hates the colour. It is that old copy of the Ramirez orange (and not done as well as Ramirez). I wouldn't recommend that colouration! Once you get used to it, it's not so bad. It still sounds pretty good.

Anyways, no matter what, I'm sure it will sound amazing. I have been listening to the clips on youtube for quite a while and it has a beautiful sound. I had thought about getting a GC-42.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:56 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:Congratulations on ordering the Yamaha. I am sure it is going to be an amazing guitar.

You sure you would want to alter what they normally do? I think the guitar looks beautiful as it is! The light top and dark back make for a nice contrasting guitar. If you get it stained, you run the risk of not really enjoying the colour. It looks like an amazing guitar and, from what I have heard, the finish on the 82's is immaculate and done over a very long period of time to be perfect.

My old 1971 Yamaha GC-3 has an awful colour to it! hahaha.. My wife hates the colour. It is that old copy of the Ramirez orange (and not done as well as Ramirez). I wouldn't recommend that colouration! Once you get used to it, it's not so bad. It still sounds pretty good.

Anyways, no matter what, I'm sure it will sound amazing. I have been listening to the clips on youtube for quite a while and it has a beautiful sound. I had thought about getting a GC-42.

Martin
Thanks Martin.

No, I am not sure and I also recognized that choice of stain colour/intensity could be very iffy. If I live long enough...ho, ho, ho...the natural Spruce should deepen in colour. I'm just exploring the possibilities. Is the colour of your GC-3 similar to the picture of the GC-10 posted above?

The GC42 is also a very nice instrument and I had considered it; however another chap here thought it would not be much of a step up from my GC-10. Not much chance to try out these instruments where I live.

Douglas
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Debussychopin

Post by Debussychopin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Dam.
I could use a gc82.

Yamaha GL1

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:15 pm

Debussychopin wrote:Dam.
I could use a gc82.
Me too...and I have to wait 8 months... :wink: So far I have only waited 43 years to get one. I don't think I am suffering from GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome)... :mrgreen:
1971 Yamaha GC-10

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:51 pm

Congratulations! For me it would be hard to wait so long to get a new dream guitar, for me it's already hard to buy a used guitar and wait for the shipment to arrive. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your first review and some pictures in about 8 month. Hmm...will you keep your GC10? ;-)
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:13 pm

andreas777 wrote:Congratulations! For me it would be hard to wait so long to get a new dream guitar, for me it's already hard to buy a used guitar and wait for the shipment to arrive. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your first review and some pictures in about 8 month. Hmm...will you keep your GC10? ;-)
Thanks muchly for the congratulations. Not so TERRIBLY hard...as I do love my GC-10, and oh yes, after 43 years, I will keep it. Of coursed that assumes I don't fall out of love when the new one arrives... :?:

Review and pictures for sure.

Anyone have thoughts on the string tension questions... :discussion: ?
1971 Yamaha GC-10

khayes

Post by khayes » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:25 pm

Beowulf wrote: I have ordered a GC82S and it should be easier on my hands with the lower action (E1: 1/8" (3.1750 mm) and E6: 5/32" (3.97mm), as well as having a bigger voice and greater dynamic range.
I'm confused why you think you might need EHT strings when you stated that the 82S will have a 'bigger voice and dynamic range', and will be easier on your hands. I understand you went with them on your old guitar because the lower action was causing buzzing...not sure why that would be an issue going forward. I would start off by using the strings that are recommended for the 82S. My 2 cents...
Ken

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:38 pm

Beowulf wrote:Anyone have thoughts on the string tension questions... :discussion: ?
1. Guitars respond very differently to different string tensions. I have owned guitars that really sound best with HT or else the strings would feel too loose and it just felt I couldn't drive the top hard enough. Then I got another guitar that responded best to normal/low tension strings and just felt overly stiff and sounded choked with HT strings. My personal opinion is if a guitar NEEDS extra high tension strings to respond well, or if you're getting serious buzzing without using EHT strings on standard action, then something is seriously wrong (either not enough neck relief, uneven frets, etc). I haven't owned a Yamaha GC guitar so I can't comment on what string tensions they need, but I'm pretty sure it will respond just fine with HT without the need to go any higher. You may even discover that it feels and sounds best with NT strings.

In short, try settling first on HT and NT... EHT makes the guitar harder to play, could diminish tonal quality and could be unhealthy for the instrument over time. If a guitar requires EHT to get the dynamic range you want, then you're better of getting a different guitar, especially at that price point. You will be the best person to answer these questions once you have the actual guitar in your hands. I doubt many member on this forum own or have owned a Yamaha GC82.

2. Is the neck reinforced with carbon or is it pure wood? Perhaps over many years of using EHT it would probably warp the neck especially if it isn't reinforced. The top itself could get warped as well.

3. Your best bet is to get it done through Yamaha themselves. Contact them before they even start building your guitar. To change it afterwards might require refinishing the guitar, which could be expensive and could altar the sound of the guitar. One interesting note is spruce over many years begins to change color naturally on its own.

By the way, are you pretty much locked into the GC82 or can you back out and consider other options? For the price you're paying, I think there are also many other attractive alternatives, some of which you can actually buy in person rather than buying blind.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:48 pm

Congratulations on your order, Beowulf! I hope that it brings another 43 years of joy to you. As to the strings, I see no reason why you would need EHT strings. It should play just fine with EJ45 or EJ46 (or equivalents) with no problems at all.

I myself have tried various string tensions on my guitars with no problems.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:53 pm

khayes wrote:
Beowulf wrote: I have ordered a GC82S and it should be easier on my hands with the lower action (E1: 1/8" (3.1750 mm) and E6: 5/32" (3.97mm), as well as having a bigger voice and greater dynamic range.
I'm confused why you think you might need EHT strings when you stated that the 82S will have a 'bigger voice and dynamic range', and will be easier on your hands. I understand you went with them on your old guitar because the lower action was causing buzzing...not sure why that would be an issue going forward. I would start off by using the strings that are recommended for the 82S. My 2 cents...
Thanks for the thoughts...I simply do not know enough about guitar setup. I have played with EHT strings for years now as they give me the dynamic range I want (when the music calls for it) and I'm sure the GC-10 was not set up for that string tension in the first place. They do result in a little loss of delicacy and sweetness and overtones. I suspect they will not be necessary with the GC832S, but would like to know if they could be used without a major adjustment. I don't think my hands would adjust easily to Normal tension, but Hard should be fine. I play with a fairly strong attack, but of course this places demands on the left hand. I'll see if I can find out what the recommended string tension is for the GC82S.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:11 pm

souldier wrote:
Beowulf wrote:Anyone have thoughts on the string tension questions... :discussion: ?
1. Guitars respond very differently to different string tensions. I have owned guitars that really sound best with HT or else the strings would feel too loose and it just felt I couldn't drive the top hard enough. Then I got another guitar that responded best to normal/low tension strings and just felt overly stiff and sounded choked with HT strings. My personal opinion is if a guitar NEEDS extra high tension strings to respond well, or if you're getting serious buzzing without using EHT strings on standard action, then something is seriously wrong (either not enough neck relief, uneven frets, etc). I haven't owned a Yamaha GC guitar so I can't comment on what string tensions they need, but I'm pretty sure it will respond just fine with HT without the need to go any higher. You may even discover that it feels and sounds best with NT strings.

In short, try settling first on HT and NT... EHT makes the guitar harder to play, could diminish tonal quality and could be unhealthy for the instrument over time. If a guitar requires EHT to get the dynamic range you want, then you're better of getting a different guitar, especially at that price point. You will be the best person to answer these questions once you have the actual guitar in your hands. I doubt many member on this forum own or have owned a Yamaha GC82.

2. Is the neck reinforced with carbon or is it pure wood? Perhaps over many years of using EHT it would probably warp the neck especially if it isn't reinforced. The top itself could get warped as well.

3. Your best bet is to get it done through Yamaha themselves. Contact them before they even start building your guitar. To change it afterwards might require refinishing the guitar, which could be expensive and could altar the sound of the guitar. One interesting note is spruce over many years begins to change color naturally on its own.

By the way, are you pretty much locked into the GC82 or can you back out and consider other options? For the price you're paying, I think there are also many other attractive alternatives, some of which you can actually buy in person rather than buying blind.
Helpful reflections...thank you.

1. Good point that the instrument should not need EHT strings...I'll find out what Yamaha uses normally. Given the way I play, I think HT should be about right.

2. I don't know that the neck has any reinforcement and Cedro is less dense and heavy than Mahogany. At least I know that my GC-10 has no problems with EHT as far as the top and neck are concerned. Yamaha construction is pretty robust...at least in my limited experience. But Cedro is different.

3. Okay...so there are differences in the build process when an instrument is set up for EHT strings. I think I'll just make sure it can handle HT, as I don't want a guitar that loses something by being set up for EHT. Spruce colour shift over the years? Great, though I don't have another 43 left... :lol:

I have ordered the GC82S and have no concerns as I have been very,very happy with my GC-10. I got a nice price as well...$9400CDN.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:13 pm

markodarko wrote:Congratulations on your order, Beowulf! I hope that it brings another 43 years of joy to you. As to the strings, I see no reason why you would need EHT strings. It should play just fine with EJ45 or EJ46 (or equivalents) with no problems at all.

I myself have tried various string tensions on my guitars with no problems.
Great...thanks for the information. May I live that long!! :merci:
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”