Yamaha GC82S

nmshu1

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by nmshu1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:36 am

It is always better to try the existing guitar than ordering a guitar. Too much uncertainty...
[/quote]

Hmm...not when you know what you want. That approach would preclude ordering any guitar from a luthier. In this case, it was impossible for me to try an existing Yamaha GC82S as there are none in Canada and it is only available by special custom order.
[/quote]

There are many excellent luthiers in Canada. You can find one...
650: Otto Vowinkel, Cedar/BRW; Córdoba C9 A&B, Cedar/MH;
640: Juan Hernandez Torres, Spruce/IRW; Sweet Tone, Spruce/Lam. RW;
635: German V. Rubio, Spruce/MP; German V. Rubio, Spruce/PE;
630: Kenny Hill Performance, Double Top(Spruce/Cedar)/MP

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:40 pm

nmshu1 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:36 am
It is always better to try the existing guitar than ordering a guitar. Too much uncertainty...
Hmm...not when you know what you want. That approach would preclude ordering any guitar from a luthier. In this case, it was impossible for me to try an existing Yamaha GC82S as there are none in Canada and it is only available by special custom order.
[/quote]
nmshu1 wrote:
Yes, of course there are...however, none of them makes the instrument that I desire.
Last edited by Beowulf on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:40 pm
nmshu1 wrote:

[/quote]

Yes, of course there are...however, none of them makes the instrument that I desire.
[/quote]
You will know the difference when you have tried a Yamaha GC30A, GC70 & GC82. The marquetry on these guitars are second to none.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 pm

HNLim wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:13 pm
You will know the difference when you have tried a Yamaha GC30A, GC70 & GC82. The marquetry on these guitars are second to none.
Yes...even my GC-10 has very, very fine marquetry.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 pm
HNLim wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:13 pm
Yes...even my GC-10 has very, very fine marquetry.
In this case, it is better to fly to Japan to check everything then bring it back in person. You can also do some adjustment in Yamaha workshop such as strings spacing at nut and strings action when necessary...

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:38 pm

[/quote]

I have open mind... Yamaha GC82 S/C is not the only top guitar in the world... If you try, you will find so many top guitars in the world with different styles....

For example:
Liona Boyd has Yamaha Guitars, Remirez guitars and German V. Rubio guitars...
Every top guitar has its advantages and disadvantages...

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:18 am

nmshu1 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:19 pm
In this case, it is better to fly to Japan to check everything then bring it back in person. You can also do some adjustment in Yamaha workshop such as strings spacing at nut and strings action when necessary...
:titanic: :aide: :kap: :pace:
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:34 am

nmshu1 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:38 pm

I have open mind... Yamaha GC82 S/C is not the only top guitar in the world... If you try, you will find so many top guitars in the world with different styles....

For example:
Liona Boyd has Yamaha Guitars, Remirez guitars and German V. Rubio guitars...
Every top guitar has its advantages and disadvantages...
Of course it isn't the only top guitar in the world...however, I have made my choice and if I changed my mind now (which I have not), I would also be saying goodbye to a $5000 deposit. :reflechir: :contrat:

Yes, every top guitar has its advantages and disadvantages...the basis for my choice is individual and has nothing to do with a closed mind.

:merci: for your thoughts and point of view... :bye:
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:32 am

I think Beowulf is making a good choice. The GC-82 is a top-notch instrument and I am positive that Yamaha will make sure that the guitar is in top condition before it is delivered. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting a particular guitar. Sure there are plenty of luthiers and plenty of guitars to choose from, but sometimes you want what you want in life. Why always wonder what the Gc-82 might have been like, if only? I know its fashionable to always think "buy local" and "support luthiers from home" and "you have to try a guitar or don't buy it", which are all not bad things. But, sometimes you want to treat yourself to something that you REALLY want and believe that you will enjoy. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Look at someone like Beowulf. He has been playing his old GC-10 for all these years and wants to buy another Yamaha. I think that says something good about Yamaha and something good about his experience.

We all have different motivations in life! Buying a new Yamaha will definitely be a little bit of Nostalgia from when Beowulf got his old guitar back in the day and broke it in after so many years. At the rate he seems to buy guitars, the GC-82 will likely be his last guitar (no offence Beowulf! I hope you last out another guitar! I have no idea how old you are. But, anyone who has had a guitar for over 40 years certainly can't be too young!)

Anyways, I am with Beowulf and I think he is doing the right thing for him. I hope it all works out for the best. If it doesn't, I'm sure Yamaha will make it right for someone who buys this level model.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:28 am

Of course it isn't the only top guitar in the world...however, I have made my choice and if I changed my mind now (which I have not), I would also be saying goodbye to a $5000 deposit. :reflechir: :contrat:

Yes, every top guitar has its advantages and disadvantages...the basis for my choice is individual and has nothing to do with a closed mind.

:merci: for your thoughts and point of view... :bye:
[/quote]

Too much deposit... When I ordered Otto Vowinkel Concert, only 500 euro deposit was needed.

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:37 am

Anyway, hope you get what you want finally...

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:32 am
I think Beowulf is making a good choice. The GC-82 is a top-notch instrument and I am positive that Yamaha will make sure that the guitar is in top condition before it is delivered. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting a particular guitar. Sure there are plenty of luthiers and plenty of guitars to choose from, but sometimes you want what you want in life. Why always wonder what the Gc-82 might have been like, if only? I know its fashionable to always think "buy local" and "support luthiers from home" and "you have to try a guitar or don't buy it", which are all not bad things. But, sometimes you want to treat yourself to something that you REALLY want and believe that you will enjoy. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Look at someone like Beowulf. He has been playing his old GC-10 for all these years and wants to buy another Yamaha. I think that says something good about Yamaha and something good about his experience.

We all have different motivations in life! Buying a new Yamaha will definitely be a little bit of Nostalgia from when Beowulf got his old guitar back in the day and broke it in after so many years. At the rate he seems to buy guitars, the GC-82 will likely be his last guitar (no offence Beowulf! I hope you last out another guitar! I have no idea how old you are. But, anyone who has had a guitar for over 40 years certainly can't be too young!)

Anyways, I am with Beowulf and I think he is doing the right thing for him. I hope it all works out for the best. If it doesn't, I'm sure Yamaha will make it right for someone who buys this level model.

Martin
67...been playing for 56 years now...and still love it! :casque: I have plenty of PPP: Patience, Perseverance & Perspiration. The GC82S will provide further Inspiration. :bravo:

Thanks Martin,

Douglas
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:19 pm

nmshu1 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:28 am
Too much deposit... When I ordered Otto Vowinkel Concert, only 500 euro deposit was needed.
" Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:22 pm

nmshu1 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:37 am
:merci:

"You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You just might find
You get what you need 0h yeah"

The Rolling Stones
1971 Yamaha GC-10

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:22 pm
nmshu1 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:37 am
:merci:

"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You just might find
You get what you need 0h yeah"

The Rolling Stones
Actually I also like Yamaha GC 82 S/C sound and it is well balanced. By the way, I have a high school classmate living in London, Ontario, Canada...
Last edited by nmshu1 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”