Deleted.
650: Otto Vowinkel, Cedar/BRW; Córdoba C9 A&B, Cedar/MH;
640: Juan Hernandez Torres, Spruce/IRW; Sweet Tone, Spruce/Lam. RW;
635: German V. Rubio, Spruce/MP; German V. Rubio, Spruce/PE;
630: Kenny Hill Performance, Double Top(Spruce/Cedar)/MP

Debussychopin

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Debussychopin » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:34 pm

I hope Beowulf your gc82 turns out amazing.

Yamaha GL1

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Debussychopin wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:34 pm
Given my realistic expectations...I am sure it will. If not, I will simply proclaim it to be magnificent and thereby reduce the discomfort resulting from cognitive dissonance to the point where my joyful equilibrium is restored. :mrgreen:
1971 Yamaha GC-10

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:17 pm
Debussychopin wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:34 pm
Given my realistic expectations...I am sure it will. If not, I will simply proclaim it to be magnificent and thereby reduce the discomfort resulting from cognitive dissonance to the point where my joyful equilibrium is restored. :mrgreen:
We have all been there ;)

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:37 pm

First good news: the CITES permit came through much more quickly than expected and my guitar should be back in Japan within a week or so for finish repairs.

I also received detailed pictures of the problems with the finish. The problems look very much like light contact damaged to the finish surface in conjunction with softening of the FP due to heat...or due to the fact that it takes a long time for FP to completely cure. My suspicion is that it occurred during customs inspections either in Japan or Canada. Hey, why not both? In any case I am sure the GC82S did not leave Hammamatsu in the condition it arrived in Canada.

BTW, the top is gorgeous with beautiful medullary rays, a.k.a., "silking"
Last edited by Beowulf on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

brian

Post by brian » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:20 am

Beowulf-
i think i speak for everyone who
has followed this thread in saying
that I'm rooting for you to get this
guitar back soon, and that it exceeds
your highest expectations.
:okok: :chitarrista:
if at first you don't succeed try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:26 am

brian wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:20 am
Beowulf-
i think i speak for everyone who
has followed this thread in saying
that I'm rooting for you to get this
guitar back soon, and that it exceeds
your highest expectations.
:okok: :chitarrista:
:merci: I am working on enjoying my GC-10 and building my repertoire, so that when it arrives I will be able to get close to the guitar's expectations of me! :guitare: :ouioui:
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:28 am

:roll:
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:18 am

Man I wish I could get one.. If I ever was able to, it would have to be used, and I still wouldn't be able to afford it for a couple of years. I actually got to play one, not too long ago, and it was completely top shelf. Way better, and different, than my Ramirez student model. Not even on the same planet. And from what I understand, luthier built. It was a spruce. The Marquetry was awesome. Best sounding spruce I ever heard. The owner had it custom set up. It it was quite playable and you could still dig in. Very clear sounding. I forget what strings he said he used on it. Does anybody know what type of spruce they use for the top on these?

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:57 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:18 am
Man I wish I could get one.. If I ever was able to, it would have to be used, and I still wouldn't be able to afford it for a couple of years. I actually got to play one, not too long ago, and it was completely top shelf. Way better, and different, than my Ramirez student model. Not even on the same planet. And from what I understand, luthier built. It was a spruce. The Marquetry was awesome. Best sounding spruce I ever heard. The owner had it custom set up. It it was quite playable and you could still dig in. Very clear sounding. I forget what strings he said he used on it. Does anybody know what type of spruce they use for the top on these?
German

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:27 pm

German spruce, a.k.a., Alpine spruce, European spruce, Norway spruce: http://www.wood-database.com/norway-spruce/

I waited 25 years to afford the cost... :chaud:
1971 Yamaha GC-10

mcmurray

Post by mcmurray » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:06 pm

Just wondering if collecting the instrument in Japan personally was an option? Could have been a good excuse for a holiday :)

I hope it's mint when you finally get it!

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:58 am

mcmurray wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:06 pm
Just wondering if collecting the instrument in Japan personally was an option? Could have been a good excuse for a holiday :)

I hope it's mint when you finally get it!
I suppose that is an option...but the logistics and cost would be prohibitive. I would have to arrange a CITES permit in my name...pay the dealer in Canada...ensure carry on with the airline...and add the cost of airfare, hotel, etc. whew!

Thanks, I am sure it will be. The nice thing about French polish shellac finish: it is much easier to restore than other types of finish.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:04 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:18 am
Man I wish I had the chance to play one...but I will soon! Yes, luthier built: Naohiro Kawashima. Comes from the Custom Shop with Augustine Reagl/Blue strings...but of course the one you played may have had other strings.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”