Yamaha GC82S

Beowulf

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Postby Beowulf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:50 pm

kramer733 wrote:How much are the high end classical guitars by Yamaha?

In Canada the best price I have found: GC82 - $10,000; GC42 - $4800. I was able to negotiate a discount on the GC82S and ended up paying $9400 + tax CDN.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Francisco

Postby Francisco » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:06 pm

Regarding the tension question whether the neck will handle extra high tension, there is no question that it will. Guitars today are built with very reinforced necks, usually carbon fiber, and a LOT of tension would be needed to warp them. I am sure Yamaha would not build their top of the line guitar with a warpable neck. Personally I usually prefer the sound of normal or sometimes even lower tension, I find it richer. Volume by itself should not be the main priority, especially for those of us who don't play in concert halls.

Beowulf

Postby Beowulf » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:25 pm

Francisco wrote:Regarding the tension question whether the neck will handle extra high tension, there is no question that it will. Guitars today are built with very reinforced necks, usually carbon fiber, and a LOT of tension would be needed to warp them. I am sure Yamaha would not build their top of the line guitar with a warpable neck. Personally I usually prefer the sound of normal or sometimes even lower tension, I find it richer. Volume by itself should not be the main priority, especially for those of us who don't play in concert halls.

Thanks for your comments. Although the neck is not reinforced, it does not need to be as the head angle is reduced (9°) and this lowers the tension on the neck. As well the instrument is supplied with Augustine Regal/Blue HT strings (actually slightly higher tension than the D'Addario EHT EJ44C); so no worries.

I prefer HT strings on my present Yamaha not for volume per se, rather I like the the increased dynamic range and tactile response.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”