Yamaha GC82S

Beowulf

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Beowulf » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Well I contacted Yamaha in late June and requested an update on delivery. I was informed that the guitar was "a bit delayed" and that it was in production with an expected completion in July. The possibility of a delay due to preparation of CITES documentation was also mentioned. In the end after a week of emails...should be delivered to me in August or September. Looks like September to me. Ah well:

"Magnificent Outpouring"

It is said that all the good things
Must come to him who can pretend
He doesn't have to wait
For as surely as the light of day
Must come to drive the night away
The needles and the pins
That's where the line begins
With your magnificent outpouring
Of that old familiar story
That's been used a million times
To ease a million minds

Gordon Lightfoot
1971 Yamaha GC-10

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:27 pm

I am just wondering how can I go about ordering a Yamaha GC70?

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:43 pm

HNLim wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:27 pm
I am just wondering how can I go about ordering a Yamaha GC70?
You cannot order a Yamaha GC70, or a GC70C, GC71, GC60. All these models use Jacaranda/Brazilian Rosewood and under CITES restrictions cannot be exported from Japan. You can order a GC82S/C as these models use Madagascar Rosewood and can be exported with the proper CITES documentation.

P.S. I have two lovely Royal Selangor pewter steins from Singapore.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Good news: my guitar has arrived at Yamaha Canada...

Bad news: there is some finish damage (bubbling) around the bridge and another few spots on the top... :shock: :cry:

My contact at Yamaha said the instrument would not be sent to me in that condition and Yamaha Canada was not comfortable trying to buff out the problems...I said that was good as I would not accept it. The luthiers at the Tenryu Custom shop have been contacted to determine the next step.

I doubt very much that the guitar left Tenryu in this condition, so it is most likely something that occurred during shipping. There was no damage to the shipping box or case so perhaps a problem with heat exposure in a warehouse, customs or a truck. The custom shop is both temperature and humidity controlled...but aircraft are not and it has been very hot in Canada recently... :chaud:

Very disappointing to say the least! I also want to be absolutely certain that there has been no damage to the bridge or internal bracing attachment. My hunch is that it will go back to Japan for analysis and a redo.

Maybe I'll have it for Christmas... :noel:
1971 Yamaha GC-10

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:31 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Bad news: there is some finish damage (bubbling) around the bridge and another few spots on the top... :shock: :cry:

My contact at Yamaha said the instrument would not be sent to me in that condition and Yamaha Canada was not comfortable trying to buff out the problems...I said that was good as I would not accept it. The luthiers at the Tenryu Custom shop have been contacted to determine the next step.

I doubt very much that the guitar left Tenryu in this condition, so it is most likely something that occurred during shipping. There was no damage to the shipping box or case so perhaps a problem with heat exposure in a warehouse, customs or a truck. The custom shop is both temperature and humidity controlled...but aircraft are not and it has been very hot in Canada recently... :chaud:

Very disappointing to say the least! I also want to be absolutely certain that there has been no damage to the bridge or internal bracing attachment. My hunch is that it will go back to Japan for analysis and a redo.

Oh dear! There is absolutely no good news regardless if it reaches Canada. To have blistering with French polish, the heat must have been terrible.

630mm

Post by 630mm » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:30 pm

Sad news. Did you tune it up and give it a strum?
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No. 30 Cedar 650mm
1976 Masaru Matano 600 Cedar 658mm
2015 Francisco Navarro Concert Cedar 630mm
1972 Yamaha GC-6D Ezo Spruce 662mm

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:07 am

630mm wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:30 pm
Sad news. Did you tune it up and give it a strum?
Yes, very sad. I haven't even seen it...Yamaha Canada always does a complete inspection before instruments of this quality are sent to the dealer for delivery to the customer.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:12 am

HNLim wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:31 pm

Oh dear! There is absolutely no good news regardless if it reaches Canada. To have blistering with French polish, the heat must have been terrible.
Up around 33°C or 41°C with the humidex...put the guitar in an enclosed space like a truck or customs storage shed and it will go much higher!
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:43 am

Beowulf wrote:

That is disappointing. But, it would be more disappointing if they tried to deliver it in that state. At least they are honest with you and will likely do everything to make it right.

My guess is that they will be making you a new guitar. I doubt Yamaha will just repair the finish and ship it off for an instrument of this level, as the finish is very important to the Japanese luthiers.

I think the question will be if you are willing to wait!

Hopefully, they will let you know what the next steps are fairly soon!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:37 am

Your other option is if the local Luthier can repair it to flawless condition, then ask for a discount and enjoy your guitar. Personally I believe that French polish can be easily repaired and touchup in the hands of a good woodworker.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:28 am

HNLim wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:37 am
Your other option is if the local Luthier can repair it to flawless condition, then ask for a discount and enjoy your guitar. Personally I believe that French polish can be easily repaired and touchup in the hands of a good woodworker.
But not that kind of polish. Yamaha boasts that it takes months to do this polish and that there are so many layers of polish. I don't think it would be the same.

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Yvon

Post by Yvon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:40 am

I think they have 2 GC82 available a thundra music, maybe you can just pick one there! :)
Yamaha GC-31

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:50 am

Beowulf wrote:

Oh what a bummer, I feel really sorry for you, after all this wait. However, I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Fingers crossed.

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1997 - Dragan Musulin
2004 - Alain Raifort Grand Concert
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt Torres

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:29 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:28 am
HNLim wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:37 am
But not that kind of polish. Yamaha boasts that it takes months to do this polish and that there are so many layers of polish. I don't think it would be the same.

Martin
You are correct Martin as Yamaha claims there are 300 coats applied over a period of up to three months. Also, the exact same French Polish mixture should be used. My contact at Yamaha Canada said they didn't want to touch it. Yes, I may well be looking at a new guitar and if wait I must, then wait I will.

I am concerned that there may be other hidden damage, such as compromised glue joints, warping, hairline interior cracks, etc. I am also not sure if Yamaha could restore the top to pristine condition without refinishing the entire top.

Any experienced luthiers with advice? I would very much appreciate it!

Douglas
Last edited by Beowulf on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Yvon wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:40 am
I think they have 2 GC82 available a thundra music, maybe you can just pick one there! :)
Thanks Yvon...however, the GC82S/C are special order and no stores in Canada carry stock...as in "Call for availability". My instrument was the first one ordered in Canada according to my contact at Yamaha.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”