Yamaha GC82S

Beowulf

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Beowulf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:38 pm

HNLim wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:31 pm
Oh dear! There is absolutely no good news regardless if it reaches Canada. To have blistering with French polish, the heat must have been terrible.
Yes, daccord! I wonder if high humidity caused the top to swell and the heat then caused the moisture to bubble through the finish from underneath?

There was either cavalier treatment of the instrument during shipping/customs, or a lack of foresight with respect to the environmental conditions the guitar would encounter on its journey from Japan...perhaps both.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:41 pm

rinneby wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:50 am
Oh what a bummer, I feel really sorry for you, after all this wait. However, I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Fingers crossed.

All the best from Sweden
/Jon
Thank Jon...to quote from "Shakespeare in love": "How does it all turn out?"..."I don't know it's a mystery."

Hopefully I won't be waiting for another entire year!

Douglas
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Yvon

Post by Yvon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:20 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:32 pm
Yvon wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:40 am
I think they have 2 GC82 available a thundra music, maybe you can just pick one there! :)
Thanks Yvon...however, the GC82S/C are special order and no stores in Canada carry stock...as in "Call for availability". My instrument was the first one ordered in Canada according to my contact at Yamaha.

Really?
I was planing a road trip to try one!
Yamaha GC-31

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Yvon wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:20 pm
Beowulf wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:32 pm
Yvon wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:40 am
I think they have 2 GC82 available a thundra music, maybe you can just pick one there! :)
Thanks Yvon...however, the GC82S/C are special order and no stores in Canada carry stock...as in "Call for availability". My instrument was the first one ordered in Canada according to my contact at Yamaha.

Really?
I was planing a road trip to try one!
Yup...a chap in the US waited 15 months for his and I'm now at 12 months, and counting.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Update: The plan is to return my guitar to Japan for restoration of the finish. I added the following proviso:

"I want to make sure that a complete inspection confirms that the heat/humidity did not cause any problems with respect to glue joints, bracing, warping, etc., or in any other finish areas. These are difficult to observe or hidden problems that could occur depending on the intensity of the heat and the length of time the instrument was exposed to the heat. As well, I would assume that the master luthiers and the designer will do a comprehensive assessment to ensure the guitar is in pristine condition before it is sent back, but I just want to be sure of this. If any other problems are uncovered, I would like to be notified. I would also like to know if the entire top will be stripped and refinished (which will require removing the bridge)?"

I also suggested it would be a good idea to confirm the handling conditions during shipment...airline, broker, customs, etc., so this problem is not repeated. At the very least, the shipping container should indicate that as well as being fragile, the instrument should not be subjected to extremes of heat, cold or humidity. Even better: If one uses a bigger box lined on the inside with 1/2" thick styrofoam insulation and then foam peanuts, the guitar case is then surrounded by insulation and foam peanuts inside the shipping carton. This can insulate the instrument and thus mitigate some of the potential for heat/cold damage.

The estimate for restoration in Japan is two months; add 6 weeks to apply for and receive the Canadian CITES export permit and another month for transit...I may see it in February, 2018, so it's unlikely to have heat issues on the way back..just cold and dry.

Time to practice more with my GC-10...:guitare:
1971 Yamaha GC-10

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:36 pm

Sorry to here about your misfortune Beowulf. Restoration of the finish should be acceptable. Though French Polish is easily damaged, it is also easily repairable to the point that you can get an instrument looking like new. Other finishes like polyurethane, nitro, etc. probably can't be restored as such.

What is troubling is that when French Polish is newly applied, it is very fragile. It is only after several months/years that it really hardens and becomes more durable. Brand new, it is very prone to scratches/blemishes, and even more so when temperature is a factor. A friend of mine got his newly constructed French polished guitar, and an imprint from his pants was left right on the side of the instrument. Even if you are extremely careful, you will undoubtedly see marks and such develop. When I had a French polished guitar, I always wore an arm sleeve while playing, but it still developed a hazy spot right where my arm meets the guitar. The good thing is I could of easily had it repolished if I so desired. If one decides to get a French Polished instrument, I personally think they should just learn to accept its fragility as a part of life, realizing that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Besides, guitars are meant to be played and enjoyed rather than function as immaculate show items.

Hope they get the guitar back to you in a timely fashion.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:15 pm

souldier wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:36 pm
Sorry to here about your misfortune Beowulf. Restoration of the finish should be acceptable. Though French Polish is easily damaged, it is also easily repairable to the point that you can get an instrument looking like new. Other finishes like polyurethane, nitro, etc. probably can't be restored as such.

What is troubling is that when French Polish is newly applied, it is very fragile. It is only after several months/years that it really hardens and becomes more durable. Brand new, it is very prone to scratches, and even more so when temperature is a factor. A friend of mine got his newly constructed French polished guitar, and an imprint from his pants was left right on the side of the instrument. Even if you are extremely careful, you will undoubtedly see marks and such develop. When I had a French polished guitar, I always wore an arm sleeve while playing, but it still developed a hazy spot right where my arm meets the guitar. The good thing is I could of easily had it repolished if I so desired. If one decides to get a French Polished instrument, I personally think they should just learn to accept its fragility as a part of life, realizing that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Besides, guitars are meant to be played and enjoyed rather than function as immaculate show items.

Hope they get the guitar back to you in a timely fashion.
Thanks for your support and reflections...on an immaculate french polish finish, which would of course be highly reflective... :mrgreen:

Quite right that FP is prone to marks and also less durable than other finishes until well cured. I am prepared for marks/scratches/etc. from my use, however these were nasty bubbles below the finish surface from excessive heat exposure. I at least want it to look new when I receive it.

My GC-10 has numerous playing marks from over 40 years of playing and enjoyment...and not as bad as Segovia's perspiration all over the upper bout of his 1937 Hauser...or the cigarette burn marks on Tárrega's 1888 Torres. I will be somewhat more careful with my GC82S...no need for belt buckle dings or shirt button impressions...but I will play and enjoy it! Hopefully early next year :bravo: !
1971 Yamaha GC-10

UPGuitar

Post by UPGuitar » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:33 pm

oh wow!! what a bummer!!!
I'm sure everything will work out just fine...but still....wow!
I've always wanted try one of the super high-end yamaha classicals.
I'm actually very excited to hear your impressions once you get it back.
-Masaki Sakurai concert sp/in
-Yamaha gc31c cd/in
-F.Sheppard French Romantic era replica sp/mpl
-S.Ganz "SunDog" sp/in
-S.Ganz "Brujo" 8-string sp/brz
-J.Sigurdson peghead flamenco sp/ayc
-S.Castillo peghead flamenco sp/cy

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:27 pm

UPGuitar wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:33 pm
oh wow!! what a bummer!!!
I'm sure everything will work out just fine...but still....wow!
I've always wanted try one of the super high-end yamaha classicals.
I'm actually very excited to hear your impressions once you get it back.
:merci: ...I'm also actually very excited (once the disappointment receded of course) to get my impressions once it arrives. Pictures and a review will follow...then let the :discussion: begin.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:28 am

But not that kind of polish. Yamaha boasts that it takes months to do this polish and that there are so many layers of polish. I don't think it would be the same.

Martin
Yeah, it does seem that the top has to be completely redone. IMHO I don't know if it's possible to just 'repair' it.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:47 pm

It looks like it's out of your control as far as waiting is concerned, Doug. :( But, it WILL arrive and you WILL enjoy it buddy! :)

I suppose you can think of it as "delayed gratification", of sorts... :lol:

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:21 pm

segobreawill wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:43 pm
Yeah, it does seem that the top has to be completely redone. IMHO I don't know if it's possible to just 'repair' it.
Given that the Custom Shop quoted 2 months for the work, I'm pretty sure it's the entire top that will be refinished.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:24 pm

segobreawill wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:47 pm
It looks like it's out of your control as far as waiting is concerned, Doug. :( But, it WILL arrive and you WILL enjoy it buddy! :)

I suppose you can think of it as "delayed gratification", of sorts... :lol:
Delayed gratification = Rubato, a.k.a., "stolen time". :)
1971 Yamaha GC-10

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:51 pm

It is always better to try the existing guitar than ordering a guitar. Too much uncertainty...
Otto Vowinkel Concert 650, Juan Hernandez Torres 640,
German V. Rubio Concert 635, Kenny Hill Performance 630,
Córdoba C9 650, Sweet Tone 640

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:57 pm

nmshu1 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:51 pm
It is always better to try the existing guitar than ordering a guitar. Too much uncertainty...
Hmm...not when you know what you want. That approach would preclude ordering any guitar from a luthier. In this case, it was impossible for me to try an existing Yamaha GC82S as there are none in Canada and it is only available by special custom order.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”