Wanted: Andrea Tacchi guitar COCLEA OR BOUCHET

petermc61

Re: Wanted: Andrea Tacchi guitar COCLEA OR BOUCHET

Post by petermc61 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:50 am

Dofpic wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:42 am
My Tacchi Simplicio model is as good and probably better than any guitar I have ever owned
Except for my Ambridge. Of course! :shock:

zupfgeiger

Re: Wanted: Andrea Tacchi Bouchet guitar

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:46 am

Vincent Tan wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:34 am
zupfgeiger wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:49 am
petermc61 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:10 pm
Please be aware that unless you order one specifically it is likely to have a higher than normal action. That is minimum 4.5/3.5+mm with little or no spare saddle. That is how he seems to build them.

I know, I owned one and sold it despite its good sound. I have been looking for a lower (normal) action sample ever since without any luck.
I was in Florence over the last weekend to have my Garcia copy repolished by Andrea and had the opportunity to try several of his guitars. That's why I would like to come back to this thread and to Peter's judgement. I can confirm that there is not the slightest playability issue with his Bouchet, Simplicio or Garcia models. I played his first ever Bouchet built in 1995 and it is not only a fine sounding instrument but also easy to play with action at 4 mm with plenty of room for manoeuver on the saddle. Also his 1998 Simplicio copy (not for sale) is easy to play with tolerable action. My own Garcia is at 3,8 mm and plays like butter. And our fellow delcamper dofpic recently purchased a beautiful Simplicio and confirmed that it is easy to play.

Coclea is a different story. I made the same experience as Peter with a Coclea which I owned some years ago and sold it because of playability issues with high action and no space at the saddle left for lowering. Last Saturday I played a ready for delivery Coclea Thucea in his workshop. Beautiful guitar with a rosette to die for. Not too fancy and extravagant, just beautiful. Also the sound was great, full, crisp, well balanced and with huge power. But the saddle had very little space for lowering. Andrea told me that this was related to the construction of this model. Nonetheless most people I know who opt for this model are young professionals whow are less concerned by high action and playability issues. Some months ago I played Tal Hurwitz' cedar Coclea and for me as a hobbyist it was almost unplayable. So hard and stiff was the fretboard. Tal just shrugged his shoulders. It was no issue for him. Nonetheless after trying out my Tacchi Garcia he was intrigued not only by the refined sound, but also by the easy way to play this instrument. :)
I have heard many times about playability issues on Cocleas but it is weird that I have not encountered this on the 3 Andrea Tacchi guitars I own. The 2010 Coclea which I used the most on performances have around 4mm/3mm with still a lot of spare saddle. The 2005 as well (a little higher but again a lot of spare saddle). I saw your Tacchi Garcia on Facebook and I must say, this had me messaging Andrea about it! :D Very exciting stuff! Congratulations on the acquisition
Many thanks, Vincent. Yes, the Garcia is really amazing. Jan Depreter and Tal Hurwitz played it and both were quite impressed. As to the playability: It's an issue with many Tacchi guitars, but as your comment proofs, playability is also a very personal matter. What I can say for the moment is that my Garcia Tacchi plays like butter and is even with medium action (3/4 at 12th fret) very easy to play. A bit stiffer, due to the construction of the soundboard, is my Friederich copy built by Giovanni Tacchi. But still completely in the feel good-area. I love both guitars very much, soundwise, of course, and in terms of playability.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”