Best Double Top for the cost

igycrctl

Re: Best Double Top for the cost

Postby igycrctl » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:58 am

markodarko wrote:
Debussychopin wrote:Uh. Who's john dick. Please enlighten me.

Well duh! He wrote the novel "Do androids dream of electric guitars?".

I'm sure you must be joking, as everyone knows that was written by Philip K. Dick. However, Dick is an unfortunate name. I don't want to say "I just got a Dick guitar" as many people would misunderstand my meaning.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:34 am

John H Dick from Iowa, USA. He has been building double tops for about 18 years now.

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:07 am

igycrctl wrote:I'm sure you must be joking

Who, me? Joke? :mrgreen:
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:38 am

There is a Chinese brand moving upmarket in Germany called "Milestones". The are a few sellers as far as I know. I don't know if they are market under the same name elsewhere. A friend of mine tried out some in a major shop in the Cologne area and was impressed. He specifically mentioned a double top. This was about 2 years ago. They are pitched in the Euro 1500-3500 region as far as I know. If you come across the brand it might be worth a look. I have zero first hand knowledge of them.

Edit.
I found out a little bit more about this brand. On the UK site "classical guitars plus" there is one for sale and an article about the company. It is apparently a German Chinese joint venture creating a series of guitars in the style of famous makers. The double top is based on a Dammann not a Smallman as I originally thought. It has a link to the chinese site with some reference players. http://www.milestonesofmusic.com.cn/References

In Germany the Siccas are selling them so it is conceivable that they might even be the German partner but I don't know.

Jabberwocky

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:47 pm

markodarko wrote:
Debussychopin wrote:Uh. Who's john dick. Please enlighten me.

Well duh! He wrote the novel "Do androids dream of electric guitars?".

Wrong Dick. That's the other Dick...Phillip K. Dick.

You got your Dicks crossed in a knot, markodarko.

dilettante1000

Postby dilettante1000 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:16 pm

There is also a steel string maker called Cuntz, which puts me off what might be a very good guitar, for all I know...

Addressing the question... Apparently a lot of conservatoire students opt for Yulong Guo guitars, lattice braced DTs of top grade. Check these out.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Postby MessyTendon » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:36 pm

None :)

Two fan braced guitars for the price of one, double :)

Dirck Nagy

Postby Dirck Nagy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:35 pm

I'm another fan of Iowa luthier John Dick's guitars. I have had a spruce top for about a year now; love it.

http://www.johnhdick.com

Randy Reynolds in Colorado Springs has a good reputation too:

http://www.reynoldsguitars.com

cheers!
dirck
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

DerekB

Postby DerekB » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:12 pm

dilettante1000 wrote: Apparently a lot of conservatoire students opt for Yulong Guo guitars, lattice braced DTs of top grade. Check these out.

I recently bought a Yulong Guo lattice-braced DT from Maestoso Music for £1450. The sound is very pleasing for the price. Paul Gregory who sold it to me compared the first string to a violin. It is loud, although not as loud as my Ana Espinosa. The sound improved a lot when I changed the D'Addario EJ45s it came with for Savarez Alliance hard tension. It is only now that the strings have been on for a couple of months that it is beginning to acquire that "plasticky" DT sound. It lacks the tonal variation of the AE (which is quite exceptional in this respect) but I find it very playable. Paul Gregory claimed it was almost impossible to make it buzz. He doesn't know how talented I am in that particular field but he is more or less right.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

markodarko

Postby markodarko » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:44 pm

DerekB wrote:Paul Gregory claimed it was almost impossible to make it buzz.

That seems like an odd statement to me. Does he mean that the action is really high?

<confused>
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Bodhi

Postby Bodhi » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:04 pm

DerekB wrote:
dilettante1000 wrote: Apparently a lot of conservatoire students opt for Yulong Guo guitars, lattice braced DTs of top grade. Check these out.

I recently bought a Yulong Guo lattice-braced DT from Maestoso Music for £1450. The sound is very pleasing for the price. Paul Gregory who sold it to me compared the first string to a violin. It is loud, although not as loud as my Ana Espinosa. The sound improved a lot when I changed the D'Addario EJ45s it came with for Savarez Alliance hard tension. It is only now that the strings have been on for a couple of months that it is beginning to acquire that "plasticky" DT sound. It lacks the tonal variation of the AE (which is quite exceptional in this respect) but I find it very playable. Paul Gregory claimed it was almost impossible to make it buzz. He doesn't know how talented I am in that particular field but he is more or less right.

I am another very happy Yulong Guo double top owner. I went through the same process you did and seriously considered a number of the names mentioned and had a chance to play them. I am assuming your price range is around $5k max? If so there is an interesting Fructuoso Zalapa Humphries double top model at GSI that I had a close look at that looks and sounds great for the price. The Picado "double tapa" (the back is actually double not the front)Concierto is a lovely instrument though with a thin top. It has great projection and playability but might be fragile if you travel a lot. Also you would need to ensure CITES certification as it is Brazilian rosewood . I finally became enchanted with a Yulong Guo 2016 Chamber concert model where he has evolved the construction from the earlier models which were already great instruments. I loved the projection and warmth and found these guitars exceptionally playable. As has been commented, it seems to have a perfect action that makes it really playable but impossible to "rattle". I was about to push the button and then made the fatal error of asking if there was anything to give the Chamber Concert a run for its money. I was then presented with a rare Yulong Guo Cedar "Philharmonic" model double top. This is a brand new flagship model with fan bracing and French polish. I was blown away and went for it and cannot stop playing it. It is more than a $5k budget and my guess is that it will be impossible to get one as I think he only makes a handful of this model. I would certainly recommend you try the Chamber Concert 2016 design. If anybody has been able to play a John Dick and compare to the Zalapa and the Yulong Guo Philharmonic model it would be great to hear of a side by side review
Hope the above is helpful
Juan De La Mancha Allegro 1980 Cedar
Loriente "Clarita" 2004 Spruce
Frederico Sheppard Barrios "Morant" 2010 Spruce
Hermanos Camps Primera Negra-A 2016 Spruce
Yulong Guo "Philharmonic" Double Top 2016 #01 Cedar French Polish

edcat7

Postby edcat7 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:18 pm

DerekB wrote:

This 'plasticky' sound is this due more to the lattice bracing rather than the DT?
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Bodhi

Postby Bodhi » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:02 am

This 'plasticky' sound is this due more to the lattice bracing rather than the DT?[/quote]

Not to re-open the age old debate on lattice vs fan bracing and supposed "plasticky" sounds of lattice bracing, I do not have this issue with my fan bracing "Philharmonic" Yulong Guo
Juan De La Mancha Allegro 1980 Cedar
Loriente "Clarita" 2004 Spruce
Frederico Sheppard Barrios "Morant" 2010 Spruce
Hermanos Camps Primera Negra-A 2016 Spruce
Yulong Guo "Philharmonic" Double Top 2016 #01 Cedar French Polish

edcat7

Postby edcat7 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:49 am

Bodhi wrote:This 'plasticky' sound is this due more to the lattice bracing rather than the DT?

Not to re-open the age old debate on lattice vs fan bracing and supposed "plasticky" sounds of lattice bracing, I do not have this issue with my fan bracing "Philharmonic" Yulong Guo[/quote]

FP with fan bracing: I guess YLG has acted on his criticisms. Sounds like you have a fantastic guitar.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

DerekB

Postby DerekB » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:19 pm

markodarko wrote:
DerekB wrote:Paul Gregory claimed it was almost impossible to make it buzz.

That seems like an odd statement to me. Does he mean that the action is really high?

<confused>

No, it is a low action. I haven't actually measured it but it is very playable and even I find it hard to make it buzz.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”